Revisiting The 2012 Draft(osweiler) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Revisiting The 2012 Draft(osweiler)

However...go back to first year starting in the Denver System that Gase worked with him in...2012-2014...5-2 in his first seven starts...defeated the undefeated Patriots in his 2nd start.

I’m not suggesting he is probably the answer...just intrigued and wondering...curious to see this play out.

It’s easy to be negative...but he did have a good year in 2015 that got him a big deal from Houston.

Is it possible he didn’t fit in Houston’s system? Is it possible he has matured? It does happen, though some seem to think it doesn’t.

I am not a believer yet... but I am intrigued to see what happens.

Maybe it is short lived... but I saw a more decisive. Quick decision QB than I saw in Ryan Tannehill the last 7 years.

He ran this scheme better than I’ve ever seen Ryan run it.

My opinion is if we can get 2 or 3 wins out of Brock we’re doing well. I’ll be rooting for him.

The Pats struggle in Denver like they struggle in Miami. Let’s not forget Chad Henne has beaten them before.

I don't think you understand. Not many if anybody thinks Brock is the answer, what is completely clear to me now that Brock played with the exact same players is that Tannehill is definitely not the answer.

I think there are very few people that think Tannehill is the long-term solution at this point. I don't think there is anyone that would have a problem with upgrading the QB position.
Heck outside of teams like the Patriots/GB very few fans would oppose an upgrade at QB or any position on their favorite NFL team.

I wrote something a while ago saying there are 3 ways to build an offense

1) The best supplement players outside of QB
2) The best QB with not so good around him
3) A little good of both

Unfortunately, I think we've been stuck on #3. But it's becoming apparent we're closer to #1.

I think that this is a real possibility. Too much was made of Osweiler's lack of success at the Houston Texans. However, we know that Bill O'Brien is an extremely difficult coach to play for (with an extremely complicated system) and O'Brien was in a power play with his GM at the time, Rick Smith. The rapid departure of Osweiler enabled O'Brien to also oust Smith as GM and to get the guy he wanted (Gaine) in the GM role. Up until Osweiler landed in Houston, he had played well in limited opportunities in Denver, behind Peyton Manning.
Also significant to hear Big Brock say the other day that he had a couple of other visits lined up when he was on the market as a free agent but when Gase called, he instructed his agent to cancel the other visits because he wanted to try to get the opportunity to play for Gase again. He definitely understands Gase's system and came in last Sunday with confidence.

You know in his post game interview he was talking about the 2-point conversion and he said that this play he knew since 2012. Stills ran the 4th option and in all these years they never practiced the 4th option. Nobody ever thought that a 2-point conversion was coming down to the 4th option but with 2 targets falling down and one being covered he was just buying time and hoped that Stills runs that pattern and he gave a boatload of credit to Stills for running that route. It really speaks volumes of Stills as well for running his route so patiently.

I honestly wonder what people would be thinking if Albert didn't bust those long TDs which is not going to happen every week.
They would still be thinking he is better than Chad Henne ever was and at least as efficient as what has been starting in Aqua and Orange over the last 6 years.

I for one hope the guy plays well and makes watching games fun again. Its been a long dry spell since Pennington.

So what’s the story, why is Brock 3 years younger than Ryan when they were both in the same draft? Ryan is 6 years of school?

Dug deep for that one, landing a Heisman Trophy winner, Walter Camp award winner, Maxwell award winner, etc. from almost 50 years ago. Osweiler was a mediocre college QB boosted by a passer-friendly college offense. Night and day starting points.

What if I decide to try out, make the team, and end up in the Hall of Fame? Because Kurt Warner.

Slightly more likely, we’ll be drafting a QB in the 1st round of the 2020 draft (looking like the better class).

Not arguing your point...or the likelihood at least... but what other option do we have at this point other than to hope Brock Osweiler shocks the world?

I enjoy every football season...and hope for the best...the day I can’t do that I will tune out!

But....Brock threw for 4000 yards...QB rating of 140+ ...2-1 touchdown to interception ratio his junior year in college...mediocre?

Last edited:
Not arguing your point...or the likelihood at least... but what other option do we have at this point other than to hope Brock Osweiler shocks the world?

I enjoy every football season...and hope for the best...the day I can’t do that I will tune out!

But....Brock threw for 4000 yards...QB rating of 140+ ...2-1 touchdown to interception ratio his junior year in college...mediocre?

Yes, and that's coming from an ASU fan who watched every single one of his games. Maybe I should have just checked the ESPN stat lines to form my opinion. :shrug:

And I'm certainly not arguing for rooting against him. Hell, if they were savvy (which they're not), they would sign him to a slightly longer contract (but not crazy high) in the hopes that he replicates what he did vs Chicago for a couple more games and then trade him for a draft pick.

They forgot to mention that he has the tendency to forget about reading coverage before he throws. Doesn't use his eyes to redirect the the DB. Lapses in concentration at the most critical times of the game. Probably the most frustrating is that he can look like a NFL starting caliber QB one game, only to follow it up with a performance where you ask how did this guy get drafted.

Just wanted to bring everyone back to reality.:wink:

I thought you were talking about Tannehill ;-)

Funny cause seems im contrary to a lot of posters here- prob a good thing.

I didnt think he was as bad as all were saying preseason. And I laugh at hiw some people are fawning over him now.

truth is, his inaccuracy in making critical mid to deeper throws is going to haunt him.

i dont think too many teams are going to let us get by with a 0-10 yd passing game. RT is always a threat to go deep- over time that difference will play out in hiw Ds start handling Miami under Brock.

I honestly wonder what people would be thinking if Albert didn't bust those long TDs which is not going to happen every week.

yep. if it was THill, all we’d be hearing is hiw his stats were inflated. But it’s a not- Tannehill so the same suspects are fawning over this amazing development.

same ol same ol.

Love your attitude sir! Why not indeed!?

Brocktoberfest!

They forgot to mention that he has the tendency to forget about reading coverage before he throws. Doesn't use his eyes to redirect the the DB. Lapses in concentration at the most critical times of the game. Probably the most frustrating is that he can look like a NFL starting caliber QB one game, only to follow it up with a performance where you ask how did this guy get drafted.

Just wanted to bring everyone back to reality.:wink:

You talking about Tannehill?

yep. if it was THill, all we’d be hearing is hiw his stats were inflated. But it’s a not- Tannehill so the same suspects are fawning over this amazing development.

same ol same ol.

I don't care who the QB is....the fact is while Brock made a couple of decent plays, the ONLY reason we won that game is because of Wilson and some luck, like the tipped pass in OT that could have been easily picked. I want to win regardless of who the QB is, but one of these QBs has a great winning record over their last multitude of games and one does not. Also Osweiler's play is being way overstated in this win.....I hope his play improves and we win because the way he played on Sunday will not consistently win in the NFL and that is a fact!

same ol same ol.
The question I have is if that is so easy why didn't Tannehill hit these open receivers. I forgot. The OL suddenly played stellar (out of the blue) and the Bears defense suddenly sucked and their backs simply sucked in this game and left all our receivers wide open. Osweiler was so dam lucky.

same ol same ol.

I just want to point out if Wilson did not break those plays, at least on the 75 yarder, it would now be 2nd down and 4 and we still have the ball. Basically you are taking away 2 drives where we did not get stopped.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom