Ricky versus Duece | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky versus Duece

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Saintsalive, you are correct. Coaches all would like a back that can carry the load with 30+ carries, stay healthy, and still break off homeruns in his first 10 carries of the game. But I guess they can't ALL be Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, etc.

As I said before I wouldn't put too much stock in a yardage or ypc comparison. Every team is different and every week is different. I will merely say this...

1. Deuce getting 31 carries in a game is not something that should be strived for...and even if Brooks DID have a good game, the offensive coordinator still felt that the best way to win the game was to take the game out of Brooks' hands and put the hands of a runningback that the head coach very loudly proclaimed should be able to do his damage in 20-25 touches a game. If you're averaging 25-30+ carries a game, would you rather have Ricky or Deuce?

I must say, I dont understand the criticism that its somehow a bad thing that Deuce carried the ball 31 times. I doubt he will do that a lot, but its sure nice to know he can. FWIW, he got a few extra carries in OT, and also got some extra work b/c of terrible field position - several times in the 2nd half Deuce was called on to get us from outside the shadow of the goalline just to get the punter some breathing room.

Anyway, I'd rather have Deuce, based on what I've seen, because he can do more than ricky, and he doesnt have a major fumbling problem (my biggest beef w/Ricky). Of course, Decue is an unknown still, he's only started one game, so there's no reason for anyone to choose him over Ricky. At least anyone that is not among those that have seen them both side by side -- our coachng staff.

2. The obvious answer to that is Ricky. But that does not make the trade a bad move on the Saints part (or the Phins...) Why? Because what a LOT of Saints fans seem to forget is that the price of getting Jim Haslett to part ways with Ricky Williams, was NOT ZERO. It was 1st and 2nd round picks! This is a rather steep price, and if we did not pay it, they would not have done it. SO basically the Saints said it is only worth it to dump Ricky and feature Deuce, if they can get 1st and 2nd round picks in exchange.

as I said above, I would take Deuce, but he's basically a rookie, so its a risk, an unknown. Ricky is an established back, and a very good one.

But, I think this trade will work out very well for both sides. I like Deuce, obviously, plus Grant looks like he can be a good player in the NFL, and I expect to get that 1st rounder next year. Which is really the point, from the Saints side -- even if Ricky puts up better numbers, if Deuce does well, and we get 2 other starters out of the deal, how is that not a great deal?

On the flip side, the Dolphins got what they've wanted for forever, so everyone wins. Ricky will be a Top 5 rusher for the Fins, I think.

3. Though I'm the first to say don't compare the damage the two did against their respective oppositions, some of ya'll are taking this Detroit vs Tampa defense thing WAY too seriously. If someone could please find individual defense stats from 2001 that would help. All I can find is Total D but lets put it this way. Last year Tampa's D averaged 290 yards let up. Detroit's D averaged 350 yards let up. An average of 60 yards per game. And I know that most of those 60 yards per game were passing yards per game. So if you ARE going to delve into a comparison of Deuce vs Tampa against Ricky vs Detroit, please do keep in mind that the difference in rush D between the two teams is not THAT INCREDIBLY BIG, that Ricky did an average job while Deuce did a superb job....

rush defense -- 2001

TB gave up 8 rushing TDs, Detroit gave up 15.

TB allowed 106 ypg, Det gave up 125 ypg.

TB gve up 9 plays of 20+ yards, Det. gave up 15.

They are much worse at run defense than the Bucs, but its a new year. Maybe the Bucs d will continue to get gashed (I certainly hope so!).

Originally posted by chambers84

When was that game?? AAt the end of the year when your coach stopped giving Ricky the ball because he was about to reach incentives to his contract to get more money which you guys screwed him out of.

Ricky fumbled three or four times in the last game of the season against San Fran. That included a circus tent play where he fumbled, then kicked the ball backwards 20 yards until he eventually recovered it barely saving a safety. If he really wanted to reach these incentives you speak of I think maybe he would have held on to the ball a little tighter in his last chance of the year to gain yards.

Look...I liked Ricky as a Saint and harbor no ill will whatsoever. Your statement above is complete absurdity, though. We never stopped Ricky from reaching anything.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ricky versus Duece

Originally posted by chambers84

your right, Miami is so good that they didn't even need Ricky in the 4th Quarter. **** if we are that good every week, I say take his ass out of the game for the whole second half, and you will never come close to seeing that first round pick you speak of.

I'll be THRILLED if Ricky gets 111 yards in 3 quarters each game. You can take him out and keep him healthy for an entire season and at that pace will end the year with 1776 yards. That will EASILY surpass the 1500 we need for that #1 pick.

Fact is we will have a better record than your Saints(who have only won 1 playoff game....ever) by seasons end.

You, my friend, are an innovator. I can tell. As a Saints fan I have NEVER had an opposing fan use that playoff stat as a form of smack talk. Where do you come up with great lines like that?? :boring:

First of all your stats are based from last year. Do you thing we would have let the BUCS take us to overtime. Umm NO. But hey Deuce does look good I wish him well. But your team sucks no matter what Deuce does. The Saints should have easily beaten those overatted ass Bucs.

What would you guys say, were the reasons for all of RW's fumbles in the final game, last season?.....This is not smack....I want to know if that final game was an aberration or the norm....IYO....and please, give me more than "small hands"....

Ricky fumbled 8 times last year.....which is about right....He fumbled 6 times in 99 and 00....What made it worse last year is 6 of the 8 fumbles were lost.....in previous years only 3 of the 6 were lost.

Originally posted by saintsalive

TB gave up 8 rushing TDs, Detroit gave up 15.

TB allowed 106 ypg, Det gave up 125 ypg.

TB gve up 9 plays of 20+ yards, Det. gave up 15.

They are much worse at run defense than the Bucs, but its a new year. Maybe the Bucs d will continue to get gashed (I certainly hope so!). [/B]

My source says TB gave up 99yrds rushing/game......and Det gave up 125yrds/game.

Originally posted by PhinKev

I'm still waiting for the answer Saint fans. At 30+ carries a game is Duece the guy? Do you really think Duece can handle that?

Just curious.

I don't think they intend to use deuce that way every week. I believe his number of carries will vary from game to game. A close game and overtime gave extra carries to Deuce.

Originally posted by Saint Greg

My source says TB gave up 99yrds rushing/game......and Det gave up 125yrds/game.

OK - but my source was the NFL - (check the link in my post) who's your source?

Originally posted by Saint Greg
Ricky fumbled 8 times last year.....which is about right....He fumbled 6 times in 99 and 00....What made it worse last year is 6 of the 8 fumbles were lost.....in previous years only 3 of the 6 were lost.

But what I want to know is your opinion.....Do you think the final game where he fumbled three times should be looked at with a smirk, considering the circumstances of the game? i.e; His head was not there.

I think we are both happy with our new starting RB's.. I like Duece and hope he has a good year.. The thing that annoys me is the Saints Idiot that kept coming here before the season started saying how much Ricky sucks and how small his hands are and how he can't run outside and blah blah blah...
Ricky is a great back and will have a great year under Norv.. PERIOD!

Originally posted by inFINSible

But what I want to know is your opinion.....Do you think the final game where he fumbled three times should be looked at with a smirk, considering the circumstances of the game? i.e; His head was not there.

Yes and No.

Yes, you can write it off - the entire team was flat, and playing out the string.

but, then again,

no, you cant just write it off, because he has always fumbled in spurts. Check out his game v. Cle in '99 (their first win - Hail Mary to win it) - We dominated, Ricky carried 40(!) times for almost 180 yards... but he fumbled 3 times, keeping the Browns in it.

Anyway, he seems to go through periods where he coughs it up a lot. Watch him as he fights for extra yards - often the ball is bobbling around in there. Comes with the territory I guess.

I personally don't think Ricky has a "fumble problem." As mentioned, he fumbles in spurts which is costly. You can't overcome your feature back coughing it up three times in a game. Fortunately, that doesn't happen very often with Ricky.

My point about the fumbles against the 49ers wasn't a knock on Ricky. It was just to destroy the opinion from chambers that we stopped giving Ricky the ball down the stretch to avoid him reaching incentives. That's outrageous if you actually watched those games.

By the way, chambers...I'm a huge UW Badger fan and have been following Chris Chambers since college. He's one of my favorite players and I hope he has another great year for you guys. The Saints were actually set to draft him last year but while we were on the phone with him informing him we were taking him, the Dolphins made the trade up and snagged him. I was so dissapointed!!

Anyway...good luck.

Originally posted by saintsalive

Yes and No.

Yes, you can write it off - the entire team was flat, and playing out the string.

but, then again,

no, you cant just write it off, because he has always fumbled in spurts. Check out his game v. Cle in '99 (their first win - Hail Mary to win it) - We dominated, Ricky carried 40(!) times for almost 180 yards... but he fumbled 3 times, keeping the Browns in it.

Anyway, he seems to go through periods where he coughs it up a lot. Watch him as he fights for extra yards - often the ball is bobbling around in there. Comes with the territory I guess.

If you subtract the last game, last season....he had 5 fumbles on the year.....a remarkable improvement over his first two seasons and out of the top ten backs in the league Ricky was middle of the pack..... ( I didn't use the 16 th game for any of these backs)
L. tomlinson 8
Stephen Davis 6
Ahman Green 5
Corey Dillon 5
Ricky Williams 5
Shaun Alexander 4
Priest Holmes 4
Marshall Faulk 3
C. Martin 2
Anthony Thomas 0 (!)

My point is.....Ricky improved LAST YEAR, with his fumbling problem, yet no Saint Fan is giving him credit for that.....All we hear is how he fumbles too much.....understanding that the last time you saw him he was putting the ball on the ground all over the place......but, wouldn't you say that he improved greatly up until that point? As you can see.....5 fumbles in 15 games puts him on par with Corey Dillon and Ahman Green..and better than Stephen Davis and LaDainian Tomlinson.....Why is it we never hear about any of their fumbling problems?....

because it's just disgruntled Saints' fans with an axe to grind.....not wanting to give credit where credit is due.

( Please don't take this as a shot at you.....it has just been a common theme from your cohorts)

It doesn't matter. The Dolphins are a WAY BETTER football team as whole than the SAINTS period. Know matter what you think about Ricki and what happened last year or the year before. What matters now is with Ricki here when can kick your asses. It's funny how hard you guys played when ya played us, like you guys had something to prove. LOL..Yeah Yeah. But for all it's worth when it counts we can KICK YOUR ASSES..

Back
Top Bottom