Ronnie bashers, remember when...... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ronnie bashers, remember when......

shouright said:
And just download Nublar's highlight reel from the Carolina game and watch the screen pass in the 4th. That told me all I needed to know about Ronnie. Forget the 58-yard run if you want -- the screen pass has all you need to know.

A-friggin-greed!

Listen, from the opening drive, to the final FG, Ronnie ran hard both via handoffs, and passes. What more do people want?

The moves he showed on that 4th Qtr pass were terrific. He is one-on-one in the openfield, Ronnie makes the move and leaves a defender holding his jock. He bursts (not busts - hehehehe) through for key yardage, avoids a big hit to take a glancing blow to keep his momentum moving forward, and protects the ball.

finfan32 said:
I cannot stand all of these people bashing ronnie brown the last couple weeks, i remember this message board before the draft, and how everyone said that brown was going to be a GREAT back but he was a "work in progress". Well he is only two games into his career, is he not still a work in progress? give him time, we knew that cady was going to be a good running back, but from what ive seen watching auburn games and the little bit of ronnie's career, i feel that if we give him time, he will be a premire back.
I can't stand people who start a post by saying "everyone said". It wasn't "everyone". Thanks

so RLMIAMI, since Ronnie was such a bad choice, how about you toss out a few other ones. i already asked you to name some 1st round players that have had at least twice as much impact as Ronnie has. since Ronnie's performance is so bad in your eyes, any player that hasn't impacted their team at least twice as much as Ronnie can't be good.

or how about names of draft picks that are NFL ready. and as i said before, leave Caddy out of it, we all know he's doing great, that's 1 so far....

RLMIAMI said:
Ok must be nice in that world you live in.. For 24 mil I want him to BE the reason we win not just be a contributor ..

One player does not make a team! I'd rather have him be a significant contributor rather than the reason we win. This is a TEAM game not an INDIVIDUAL game. That being said if he does contribute to a win, which I know he will, it's gonna help this team out. You're expecting TOO much out of him so quickly....in time you'll see why we drafted him second. He's already started to show me.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
A-friggin-greed!

Listen, from the opening drive, to the final FG, Ronnie ran hard both via handoffs, and passes. What more do people want?

The moves he showed on that 4th Qtr pass were terrific. He is one-on-one in the openfield, Ronnie makes the move and leaves a defender holding his jock. He bursts (not busts - hehehehe) through for key yardage, avoids a big hit to take a glancing blow to keep his momentum moving forward, and protects the ball.
Yep, and that appeared to be all instinctual. There was no "thinking" on his part during that run. That was Marshall Faulk-esque at 233 pounds -- scary....

shouright said:
Yep, and that appeared to be all instinctual. There was no "thinking" on his part during that run. That was Marshall Faulk-esque at 233 pounds -- scary....

Ding, Ding, Ding...winner winner chicker dinner.

The 10 yarder he had to the 15 yard line against CAR in the 4th quarter to set up the game winning field goal...That was sweet....He put about 4 moves on the defender in about a 1/2 a second! All the defender could do was get an arm on Ronnie and that ladies and gentlemen... simply will not do!...No sir!...You need 2 people to bring this young man down! He rolled through that arm tackle like it was buttah! We have ourselves a franchise back here boys and girls...And it's about damn time!...Sorry Ricky....You're good too dude.

RLMIAMI said:
Ok must be nice in that world you live in.. For 24 mil I want him to BE the reason we win not just be a contributor ..

Then lower his salary.. WTF are you talking about and why do you care about how much money he is making.. You need to find another hobby if you care so.. ahhh forget it.. it aint worth it.. im just glad I don't think the way you do.

kastofsna120 said:
notice how rookies don't tend to win MVPs or put up a lot of great numbers during their rookie season. why? becuase they're not "NFL ready." EVERY SINGLE ROOKIE is a work in progress. to think otherwise is absurd

Rookie RBs are the exception. At nearly 24, expecting Ronnie Brown to improve significantly in running instincts or ability is not reasonable, IMO. Some analysts argue that RBs are actually better in college than they ever are in the pros. The young legs are a gift that begins giving way extremely early. One writer I have always respected is Jerry Magee, who has covered the NFL in San Diego since '61 and also writes for Pro Football Weekly. Magee has argued for decades that the Earl Campbell he saw at Texas was far sleeker and superior to the Earl Campbell who played for the Oilers.

Here is a section of an article Magee wrote for Pro Football Weekly in 1999: http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives/features_1999/magee_121399.asp

"One thing I hold about running backs: arriving in the NFL, they are not for long going to be as swift and active as they had been as collegians. The hits get to them. They benumb their limbs. Dayne, I would suggest, is better at this moment than he is ever going to be.

Williams is the latest manifestation of this. As cruelly as he has been used during his first season in New Orleans, it would be unrealistic to believe that he can recapture the performance level from his time as a Texas collegian.

I remember the first time I saw Earl Campbell, to cite another Heisman winner (1977). I was in Dallas for one of those Texas-Oklahoma games. Outside the Cotton Bowl before the game, I encountered a folksy then-Chargers scout named Aubrey "Red" Phillips. I wanted to know what Phillips thought of Campbell.

"I’d take him in a cornbread minute," said the scout.

That day, I saw why. Campbell had size, bullet speed and maneuverability. He was a figure in his time with the Houston Oilers  you could look him up in the Pro Football Hall of Fame  but I don’t think in the NFL he possessed the skills he demonstrated on that afternoon in Dallas.

When Herschel Walker was a collegian, I also had one peek at him. While NFL players were pursuing a work stoppage, I made a swing with a Chargers scout named Ron Nay through Louisiana and Mississippi. In Starkville, Miss., one Saturday, the leading exhibit was Walker, who had many of the attributes of the collegiate Campbell.

The Walker I glimpsed that day clearly was a superior athlete to the one who persevered in the NFL for so long."

Some rookie RB numbers:

1,808 – Eric Dickerson, Los Angeles Rams (1983)
1,674 – George Rogers, New Orleans Saints (1981)
1,605 – Ottis Anderson, St. Louis Cardinals (1979)
1,450 – Earl Campbell, Houston Oilers (1978)

FiN.in.RI said:
Then lower his salary.. WTF are you talking about and why do you care about how much money he is making.. You need to find another hobby if you care so.. ahhh forget it.. it aint worth it.. im just glad I don't think the way you do.

cheers !

Awsi Dooger said:
Williams is the latest manifestation of this. As cruelly as he has been used during his first season in New Orleans, it would be unrealistic to believe that he can recapture the performance level from his time as a Texas collegian.

1,808 – Eric Dickerson, Los Angeles Rams (1983)
1,674 – George Rogers, New Orleans Saints (1981)
1,605 – Ottis Anderson, St. Louis Cardinals (1979)
1,450 – Earl Campbell, Houston Oilers (1978)

Interesting as he was totally wrong about Williams.

Also of those people only Ottis Anderson did well his first two games.

Awsi Dooger said:
Rookie RBs are the exception. At nearly 24, expecting Ronnie Brown to improve significantly in running instincts or ability is not reasonable, IMO.
i'm not expecting him to improve in either area, he's just fine at both. he has great instincts and running ability. i'm expecting him to improve his decision making, and stop being so scared. the way he ran in the first two games was that of a back who was too cautious and unsure of what was in front him. in the 2nd half of the panthers game, he hit the hole hard and made quick decisions, and play like that comes with time, which he hasn't had too much of

of COURSE campbell had better legs in college. he can barely walk now due to that astroturf

RLMIAMI said:
A work in progress does not justify a #2 pick selection no matter how "talented" a player may be.. You need to select a player that not only is ready to play but at the RB position you need someone who will be at the very least very good. Ronnie is neither..
Man, i'm one of the board trolls, and i think you are an idiot

Back
Top Bottom