Roquan Smith wants out | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Roquan Smith wants out

“a linebacker?” No, THE LB for our defense. Faster than Baker, gets to the QB.
While he might be faster than Baker he does not "gets to the QB" more than Baker.

I wouldn't have any issue getting into the mix for Smith but I wont shed tears if we don't make the cut... Personally I would prefer to pay Christian Wilkins in the coming off-season and address LB in the draft.

We’ve overpaid several guys turning them into the highest paid. Especially corners. Who cares, it’s not our money. We’re paying 20+ million for what has been a part time veteran LT who may be in the downside of his career.
On the other hand, OL have been known to play well into their 30s at a high level

The injuries probably wont get any better though, fingers crossed

While he might be faster than Baker he does not "gets to the QB" more than Baker.

I wouldn't have any issue getting into the mix for Smith but I wont shed tears if we don't make the cut... Personally I would prefer to pay Christian Wilkins in the coming off-season and address LB in the draft.
Valid points but a star lb isn’t a sure thing in draft

I have to differ. AVG is too valuable. Jones salary alone makes for a more equitable deal. I believe at this juncture, AVG has more upside and makes more dynamic plays than Jones. JMO.
I think that is a good point, AVG is an ascending smart instinctive player.

Valid points but a star lb isn’t a sure thing in draft
OH I fully agree with you.

I just think that moving into next year it will be wiser in the long run to have the capital to sign Wilkins long term. The man deserves it and he proven to be the leadership this D needs.

To me Its more about the Cap manipulation dictating who we can max sign and with Baker locked up for this year (and probably next) I t doesn't make sense to Max that position when we have other hard decisions to make. Just my thoughts...

On the other hand, OL have been known to play well into their 30s at a high level

The injuries probably wont get any better though, fingers crossed
Just not OUR OLine players. Joe Thomas goes 18 years, Jake Long, what 6? The present FO hasn’t yet proved they can consistently draft for the OLine. Hunt an A-. Not so Jackson and Kindley. Eichenburg, the jury is still out. He’s certainly not a tackle. It’s been decades since the Fins had a game changing LB. AVG may be the best we have in that regard.

OH I fully agree with you.

I just think that moving into next year it will be wiser in the long run to have the capital to sign Wilkins long term. The man deserves it and he proven to be the leadership this D needs.

To me Its more about the Cap manipulation dictating who we can max sign and with Baker locked up for this year (and probably next) I t doesn't make sense to Max that position when we have other hard decisions to make. Just my thoughts...
I understand completely and also won't shed a tear if we don't get him without overpaying (whatever that is). I really want a playmaking lb and he is but I sure wouldn't want to not lock up Wilkins as he is a player I love watching.

I’ll look up last year’s stats and get back to you.

Smith: 3 seasons, 348 solo tackles, 14 sacks, 5 INTs. He is game planned by opposing teams, aaBaker? Not so much. He’s 6’1”, 238 pounds, not small as someone commented.

Smith: 3 seasons, 348 solo tackles, 14 sacks, 5 INTs. He is game planned by opposing teams, aaBaker? Not so much. He’s 6’1”, 238 pounds, not small as someone commented.
How do Bakers stats compare to that? So theyre roughly the same size, (relatively sure) similar stats .... is smith a HUGE upgrade from baker?? Idk, but if we could trade them / their contracts out, sure I'd do it.

He def has better instincts

I like Baker a lot. He’s not over pursuing nearly as he did early on. That play against Mahomes is one if the great plays in recent memory. This is not to replace Baker, but add a dominant player on the other side. Boyer does so much scheming, opponents will not see it coming. Thus, Brandon Jones and Holland can maybe blitz a bit less and protect the deep middle, ther TEs had traditionally killed us. Admittedly I’m not an expert as to defensive schemes and personnel usage. Just seems to me the more pieces you can have up front, the less pressure you put on your corners and safeties.

Back
Top Bottom