Rotoworld- Dolphins trying to sign smith at $8 million per year | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rotoworld- Dolphins trying to sign smith at $8 million per year

I completely agree with you. Smith is only 27 and was not a number one pick for no reason. He is mobile and I think will look great in the right system ie harbaugh . I honestly would rather have smith than flynn at the right price of course
true and smith is only 1 year older than flynn. flynn has no experience and has to go through the molding process, ups and downs of a starting qb. smith is experienced and has seen it all and seems ready to take it to the next level.

I seem to recall the standard opinion on here (and nationally) was that if Philbin doesn't want Flynn it would be very telling. Now, we don't sign him and all of sudden we missed out on a franchise QB.

The Seattle fans should be the people questioning what they have with Philbin passing, and yes, I believe we passed, especially knowing the numbers he signed for with Seattle.

The theme on here of whatever move we make is the wrong one is getting VERY tired.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I'm in full on panic is that it looks like we're going to throw 8 million a year at Alex Smith. No Flynn? Fine. Matt Moore and draft a QB, that was a plan I liked in the first place.

But Alex Smith? at 8 mil annually? No. **** no.

It feels like the only reason we're doing this is because Ross wants to get back at the 49ers for Harbaugh. Hoping that Manning signs somewhere else and leaves them with no QB. That's a crazy reason to sign someone for $8M, but less crazy than believing Alex Smith is worth that.

Who the heck cares what the annual money is anyways? The guarantee will be like 10 million and that's on Ross not our salary cap. If he flops and we end up with the first pick we waive his ass. End of story.

Not sure that's correct at all. Any money given to a player counts towards the cap. The guaranteed amount is for sure counted in the cap, and you have to have room in your cap for any possible incentives they could earn as well.

alex smith developed last year, and had a good game vs the saints and a big last drive, the giants game was not his fault, two kick fumbles or would have been in super bowl, he was a big part of them doing well

Flynn signed for 3 years at $26M. You should check your math.

very good point, flynn is getting 8.25 millions per year, that is starter money guys, would rather give it to alex smith who is a starter and draft a guy

Alex Smith - QB - 49ers

According to the Denver Post, the Dolphins are currently negotiating a contract with free agent Alex Smith that would pay him $8 million annually.

The Dolphins are so desperate, after losing out on Peyton Manning and Matt Flynn, that they're now willing to significantly overpay a borderline NFL starter at near the level of franchise quarterback money. Matt Flynn only got $6.33M annually from the Seahawks. Smith isn't as physically talented as incumbent Dolphins starter Matt Moore, and he's certainly not worth more than Flynn. At this point, it's almost like the Fins are trying to sign a quarterback, just to sign a quarterback.

Did we really lose that much by not getting Peyton Manning? Matt Flynn? I don't think so. The point is we still have Matt Moore...and the draft...and a lot can happen between now and training camp. To be honest, Alex Smith is better than any quarterback that we have had under center in the past 10 years...he went to the NFC title game last year. Where have our Phins gone with Penny, Moore, Henne, and so forth? A.J. Feeley thinks you are missing the point that Alex Smith is a better option than Flynn. Or David "Burger-N-Fries" Gerrard....

Smith had a couple more Tds than matt moore, with all his experience, time in sf, time in practice. That's with a defense that created more turnovers than any d in NFL history.

How is this even an upgrade from Moore?

If you are looking for a game manager at qb, you sure as heck don't pay them like a franchise qb.

lmao, we offer smith all this money but not flynn? i just dont get it....

Maybe Philbin gets it since he coached him for 4 years, how long have you coached Flynn? I would take Philbins advice on this, unless you think Philbin has no say so in this and it's all Ireland. I highly doubt that is the case.

I dont if it has been talked about, but Mike McCarthy told Aaron Rogers he liked Alex Smith more than him coming into the draft. Probably means Philbin really likes Alex Smith as well.

Smith had a couple more Tds than matt moore, with all his experience, time in sf, time in practice. That's with a defense that created more turnovers than any d in NFL history.

How is this even an upgrade from Moore?

If you are looking for a game manager at qb, you sure as heck don't pay them like a franchise qb.

Smith has also had a different coaching staff almost every year since he has been there. No fault to his own. I think Alex Smith showed last year what he can do in a FUNCTIONAL situation...not a bunch of screwballs and coaching changes that make......wait a minute...that's Miami. Alex is gonna be a Dolphin cuz he's comfortable with revolving doors and staff...

I dont if it has been talked about, but Mike McCarthy told Aaron Rogers he liked Alex Smith more than him coming into the draft. Probably means Philbin really likes Alex Smith as well.

Just like when Marv Levy told Jim Kelly that he liked losing Super Bowls more than winning AFC Conference titles....

Back
Top Bottom