Route To Paying X.howard? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Route To Paying X.howard?

Thread

Short story short, about half of Miami's payroll next year are caught up in guys (e.g. Ryan Tannehill, Robert Quinn, DeVante Parker, Kiko Alonso, Andre Branch, T.J. McDonald, Daniel Kilgore, Ted Larsen) that really don't need to be here...perhaps excepting Tannehill, whose replacement would be a top priority if the Dolphins were to jettison him.

If those 8 players are ditched then Miami's cash payroll is about $120 million short of the expected 2019 payroll budget (i.e. salary cap). That's plenty of space to get the 23 more players you need (at least half of whom will probably be young players that don't cost much).

I know everyone are going to cry about the salary cap. They're going to say I'm off because I'm talking about cash payroll and not salary cap.

The salary cap is an accounting playland with so many accrual entries and mechanisms that it is COMPLETELY manipulable.

All that really matters is that, over time, your cash payrolls approximate the NFL mandated payroll budgets (i.e. salary caps).

And even that doesn't matter as much as you'd think, because 'borrowing' from future salary caps in the NFL is a matter of getting a player to agree to a contract restructure (shifting salary to be paid in game checks from September to January into one lump sum to be paid at time of restructure). Players WANT that. They're incentivized to do it. And they don't charge a dime for it. So imagine you want a loan from a bank, that bank is ALWAYS open, they don't care what your credit rating is, and every loan they give you is ZERO interest.

Except that's not even accurate because in NFL salary cap playland there's an aggressive 5.7% annual inflation rate that is eating away at your debt, making it smaller, and smaller, and smaller, and smaller, and smaller every year. If you borrow $50 million from the 2021 salary cap into the 2018 salary cap, that $50 million represents 28.2% of the current salary cap. But if the salary cap continues to grow at the 5.7% annualized rate it's been growing since the uncapped year (2010), then the 2021 salary cap will be $209.3 million, and that $50 million debt will only represent about 23.9% of that salary cap.

But remember how I said the bank is always open, because the bank is the players, and the players are always game for a restructure, and they won't even charge you any interest to do it? So what that actually means is you can roll over that $50 million debt basically however long you want. In 50 years you'll have eventually erased the debt almost completely in real terms, though I doubt it'll ever come to that because there will probably be another uncapped year sometime before now and then just like in 2010. An uncapped year would be like a debt jubilee.

Of course, you could just PAY IT BACK. And in order to pay it back all that would mean is that one year, or a series of years, you could have your cash payrolls undershoot the salary cap by $50 million. But that's ****ing boring, even if it's entirely doable.

For the record the Dolphins have had cash payrolls exceed their payroll budgets by a cumulative sum total of $18.5 million since the uncapped year. They have a net of $43 million in accounting expense entries scheduled for 2019 through 2021, that aren't offset by salary cap space roll-forwards. So they've got a little bit of 'credit card' debt already.

As I say in the tweet thread, the dirty secret of the NFL is that the salary cap doesn't matter that much, the salary FLOOR is something that tends to matter more to the NFL owners, and that's because their player compensation budgeting is much more about classic P&L considerations than most people believe.

Is he really worth it? We are 6-6 with him. He got torched by the Texans WR. He is good, but i wouldnt say elite. Having lots of interceptions by one guy doesnt make your team a super bowl contender. If we dont make the playoffs? Clearly all those INTs did us no favors.

I would rather have an entire roster of good quality guys, then one or two elite guys and a bunch of ok guys. The Patriots rarely break bank for anyone

Look at that Gilmore contract. Pats will play for a top flight CB.

I don’t care what they do or how they do it, they better lock him up on this team and pay the guy. This is one signing that is a MUST. I will lose it if he leaves.

Howard should get paid. He’s the type of player Miami should resign. Young. Reliable. Quality player. My concern is Miami won’t pay him top 5 money because despite the hype us fin fans have, beyond his league leading INTs, he’s not considered all around a top 5 CB. Pro football focus has him at 17; with a strong showing against the run. Could be a point of contention if Miami uses similar decision making they’ve shown in recent history.

Is he really worth it? We are 6-6 with him. He got torched by the Texans WR. He is good, but i wouldnt say elite. Having lots of interceptions by one guy doesnt make your team a super bowl contender. If we dont make the playoffs? Clearly all those INTs did us no favors.

I would rather have an entire roster of good quality guys, then one or two elite guys and a bunch of ok guys. The Patriots rarely break bank for anyone

Actually the fact that he had a rough stretch and came back to play at the level he's playing at makes me more convinced he's a guy to build around. Other than kicker and QB a cornerback is more prone to losing his confidence and disappearing than any other position. Some guys don't ever get it back. Howard has shown resilience.

As for the other part of your statement, its pretty laughable to act like you don't need good players. Being 6-6 is not Howard's fault, in fact without his play we would probably be 3-9 since this team adopted your philosophy by deciding it didn't need good players on offense.

the route is whichever back service road we have to use to back up the truck to hardrock stadium

pay da man

Here is the thing . . . .you only achieve what you are looking for by drafting well every year.

And if you draft well every year and develop the guys then you don’t ever have to worry about dipping into FA to overpay for anybody . . . .you pay your own.

Cap money is blown on overpaid busted free agents . . . .may as well spend it on a quality player at an essential position.

This is a no brainer resign . . . .what We gonna do? Let him walk to sign Andre Branch and Kiko Alonso? Nah man.

If you draft well your cap will always be fine.
Well said kdawg.

This is false. Reshad Jones was just restructured this past off-season. He’s here until 2021. The Dolphins would have significant dead money cap hits if he’s cut prior to 2021.

He is gone as I said on December 5th.

X should get paid and I really hope that we are the ones to pay him. However, I’m not holding my breath. Plus, does he even want to remain on this train wreck.

I see 15 mil annually as the minimum, but 18 being more likely .

Back
Top Bottom