Rumor: Sources have told me that Miami is talking to the Lions in regards a trade | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rumor: Sources have told me that Miami is talking to the Lions in regards a trade

I think the Dolphins will try te get the Lions pick at the top of the second round if we can't get a late first.

well... there aren't many players on the Lions roster I'd want to trade for. Megtron would be great, and Julian Peterson wouldn't be too bad. Other than that no idea really.

I find it very hard to believe the Lions are even tempted to trade Calvin Johnson. Him and Stafford seem like their two truely untouchables.

Not discrediting the info, but how the hell could stafford not be on the same page with CJ? You throw it in his time zone and he will catch it.

Lions rookie quarterback Matthew Stafford can be seen talking to receiver Calvin Johnson, who was seated on a bench on the sideline. It appears that Johnson wasn't happy with what Stafford had to say because Johnson turned away, ignoring him.

On Monday, Johnson did not deny the incident happened, but he did his best to downplay it.

"Frustrated with the loss. If we win, all of that's out the window," Johnson said. "There's no problem with us. People are just blowing it out of proportion."

Exactly what Stafford said isn't known. Stafford was not available for comment Monday.

Stafford and Johnson had reasons to be frustrated. Not only did the Lions blow a 17-0 first-quarter lead, Stafford threw five interceptions and Johnson wasn't much of a factor, catching just two passes for 29 yards.

The Lions are 1-7 at the halfway point of this season and own the NFL's longest current losing streak (five games). Detroit has lost 16 consecutive games on the road and travels to Minnesota, where the Lions have lost 11 in a row. Overall, the Lions have lost 30 of their past 32 games.

"It's been awhile now since I've been here. We haven't gotten enough wins, and it's definitely frustrating," Johnson said. "Nobody's going to be happy about that. There's something wrong if you are."

The sideline situation apparently was serious enough for Lions coach Jim Schwartz to investigate and discuss it with Stafford and Johnson.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/11/rift_between_lions_matthew_sta.html

Who in the world wouldn't give up a 1st rounder for CJ?? He's only a bigger version of a young Terrell Owens (without the baggage) and may even be better then Owens. 6'5" 236 pounds, a 4.35 in the 40 and great hands. WOW!!! Go get him!!!

Who in the world wouldn't give up a 1st rounder for CJ?? He's only a bigger version of a young Terrell Owens (without the baggage) and may even be better then Owens. 6'5" 236 pounds, a 4.35 in the 40 and great hands. WOW!!! Go get him!!!
I don't want to see them give up the 12th overall pick, but if the return in the trade would be Calvin Johnson, I am all for it.

i think the lions would be ****ing stupid to get rid of calvin johnson but i would take the dude in a heartbeat hes a monster

I do remember reports coming out several weeks ago that Detroit is looking to unload CJ due to need on defense and giong that route via Picks.

I can see Miami giving up a 2nd and Crowder or a 1st and Ginn

If it was for CJ, then it could be a trade involving Ronnie Brown, Ted Ginn Jr, and say a 4th round pick, but us keeping the #12the pick to select CJ Spiller.

If it was for Peterson, it would probably involve our 4th and 6th round picks, and say a player like Porter to replace Peterson.

Then again, the sources could be the owner of Finheaven, putting something out there in order to bring back up the views ...which is how he makes money from the ads sponsorships of course... :bobdole:

Some thoughts...

Why would the Lions trade Calvin Johnson? Quite frankly, in this league you never know what front offices are thinking. Megatron wasn't even a 1,000 yard receiver this year. You can say obviously that's because he had a rookie throwing him the ball, but that's sort of the point, isn't it? Stafford kept forcing the ball in on Megatron and he only caught 51% of the balls thrown his direction...which gave Megatron a 7.5 yards per attempt average that is barely better than Davone Bess. Also, Stafford threw 12 interceptions trying to force the ball into Calvin Johnson. That's not how a young QB should grow up, forcing the ball in to one player. They have to learn to spread the ball around. Can Calvin Johnson retain his super high team value if they're trying to teach Stafford to spread the ball around? That's the question. This is not what I believe. I believe you keep a Calvin Johnson. But like I said, you absolutely never know what these guys are thinking sometimes. Two other things to consider. Calvin Johnson was not drafted by this staff. He was drafted by Matt Millen. That's important. A second thing to remember is Calvin may athletically be better than any receiver that I've ever seen, but he still has a long way to go on the finer points of the position. Both these last two years his catch percentage was barely over 50%. That could help them along in the reasoning that you have to get the ball to Calvin 8 to 10 times a game in order for him to be valuable, and your young QB isn't going to grow by being forced to get the ball to one guy 9 times a game. Over the last two seasons they've gotten the ball to Megatron 9.6 times per game (not counting the Pitt game where he only took 13 snaps). They've been rewarded on those 9.6 throws a game with 2 wins and 27 losses, 17 TDs and 30 INTs.

I don't believe it's Calvin Johnson. That's just a conditioning thing. With Miami I'm conditioned to where if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Lots of fodder. We have five picks in the 6th and 7th rounds. We probably have a sixth one on the way in the form of an untradeable compensatory pick. Last year, Jeff Ireland went out and found a Tony McDaniel to use a 7th round pick in order to acquire. Bill Parcells made a big deal about losing that pick but the bottom line is when we got into the 7th round a year ago, there was nobody left on their draft board. Nobody! Rather than go off the board, he traded the pick to Kansas City for their 7th in 2010, which we now have. That wasn't a very good arbitrage opportunity but they did it rather than waste a pick on a player they graded as undraftable. Rather than run into that problem again, where there's nobody left on the board when we draft in the 6th or 7th round, they might consider using them to trade for veterans that can contribute immediately, just as Tony McDaniel did.

Bare Bones Free Agency. Because of the whole CBA thing like 74 starters that would have been free agents are now Restricted Free Agents. Free agency is SLIM PICKINGS. This is one reason Boomer brought up that we might be in line to pony up big bucks for Karlos Dansby, because with free agency so bare that we can't fill out the roster with mid- and lower-tier guys very easily, they might consider tossing a little more money into that one big signing. Well, the other thing that goes along with that strategy is using draft picks to fill out your need for veteran contributors. And since we have five picks in the 6th and 7th rounds...

I named guys like Cliff Avril, Stephen Peterman, Jack Williams, Phillip Buchanon, Dan Gronkowski and Daniel Bullocks. Several of these guys have experience with someone in this regime. Stephen Peterman was originally drafted by Parcells and Ireland. It was the year before Ireland was promoted to Director of Personnel but even so he was an important member of the staff, and in tight with the Tuna, and the Tuna was rumored to really love Peterman. Jack Williams, on the other hand, played cornerback last year with the Denver Broncos for 7 games before being cut in order to make room for Ty Law. I don't know the story behind his being cut, to be honest. It's entirely conceivable that it was purely a front office/head coach decision and that Nolan himself as the Defensive Coordinator liked what Jack Williams brought to the table. Again, I don't know, it's just a conceivable possibility, especially given Law's being a Belichick guy and McDaniels being the HC in Denver. I probably shouldn't have named Phillip Buchanon. I know Miami have had interest in him in the past but he's really turned things around to my knowledge. He was a bright spot on the defense, a starter that allowed only 1 TD and 8.0 yards per attempt, and he is a good return man. Miami would not be able to get him for some low round pick. So, forget I mentioned him. Dan Gronkowski is also not totally likely, he is a guy that this front office had interest in during the draft and you just don't know if they'd all the sudden like to pony up a late round pick for him and Detroit would be like yeah sure whatever. Miami needs safeties and that is why I listed Daniel Bullocks. He had been a player for Detroit's previous regime, though not very good, and you never know if Miami scoured that tape and saw a guy that was miscast or might otherwise turn things around. They DID take Eric Green as a free agent, after all. The guy I think it could be is Cliff Avril. He's a 6'3" and 250 pound outside linebacker that was a pass rusher at Purdue, where Jeff Ireland scouted Anthony Spencer heavily. This is a MUST HAVE position for Miami right now. You lose Joey Porter, and Jason Taylor is a free agent, you now have a two body hole in that side of the roster. I don't care what anyone says, you can't even field a team until you fill some holes at OLB and Cliff Avril, who was drafted by Detroit's previous regime and who is actually not a bad player, could conceivably be a good guy to acquire. Especially since I believe Mike Nolan wants guys that are more linebacker than they are defensive end trying to pretend they're a linebacker. Avril ran a 4.51 at 6'3" and 251 lbs, had a 6.91 cone drill and put the 225 lbs bar up 27 times. He would be an excellent body to have in camp, and I think he fits in better with Nolan's 3-4 defense as a linebacker than he does with Jim Schwartz' 4-3 scheme as a DE.

Other guys it could be. They have an offensive lineman named Corey Hilliard that I believe played with some of our staff in Dallas. It could be him. I do have to admit that flipping a 6th or a 7th rounder off for Julian Peterson would be tempting. He could play the strong side in Mike Nolan's defense.

Keep in mind this all could easily not be true. JuniorSeau55 seems to have a good reputation for reporting these things and so I trust that this could very well be floating around out there but it still doesn't mean it will happen. Even if it doesn't though, I would look for Miami to turn some of those 6th and 7th round picks into veterans.

I do remember reports coming out several weeks ago that Detroit is looking to unload CJ due to need on defense and giong that route via Picks.

I can see Miami giving up a 2nd and Crowder or a 1st and Ginn

Wait a minute, yes, I did read that somewhere too...hmm. Ginn, our 4th rounder, and our 2011 First round pick for CJ? :ponder:

Back
Top Bottom