Rumor - Steve Marshall - New Oline Coach | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rumor - Steve Marshall - New Oline Coach

I may have mispoke about Mr. Marshall.

He's been in the top 10 a few times in sacks allowed. Always produced a solid YPC.

I take back my 1-15 comment.
I like ppl with an open mind, willing to alter their views upon new information.

Kudos

I like ppl with an open mind, willing to alter their views upon new information.

Kudos

I always do.

"In his past six seasons coaching in the NFL, his offensive line units ranked in the top 10 in the league in sacks allowed four times and in the top half of the league five times."

Straight form Barry Jackson. I can't be mad at the hire now. That's a good track record.

Oh for reference I hate the Gailey hire, but i'm a wait and see approach because the way Seattle brought along Wilson is how I want Tua to come along.
With a top 3 defense, and an MVP RB? Good luck with that.

Did I miss the news that we had aquired TT?

I'm not going to say the Gailey hire excites me, but there is an alternative theory to that of wholesale changes to the offensive scheme. Gailey has actually run a few different systems as an OC, depending upon who he was working for at the time.

Let's say for the sake of arguement, that with Parker, Williams, Ford, Hearns, Wilson?, Flo feels the "spread" could be a effective added tool to go along with our existing scheme? He has always said he wants to be able to attack in multiple ways.

Let's then, again for the sake of arguement, assume one reason for O'Shea's dismissal was the complete ineffectiveness of our running attack. He was, after all, just a WR coach. Certainly Chan has experience with a variety of blocking schemes.

If you consider alternatives to the view that Gailey is being given a blank check, it starts to make a little more sense.
Thank you for sharing that. I feel better about, what could develop on offense. Philbin and Gase caused me to lose some faith in a spread offense.

No way we are looking at Tanking. I mean if we were going to tank this was the year for that when all the tanking pieces lined up so well and we didn't.

Well not much we can do, so might as well let this play out. It will be another strong indication to evaluate our GM AND HC after next season.

But if Grier and Flores actually upgrade the players on the OL it could be better than maybe a previously established OL coach who some have actually heard of and thus desire.
The biggest fear IMO is we continue in this OL hole filling process in which the coach and GM feel satisfied with only the slight up grade of the mediocrity level we have now. Fear the guys running the show don't get the HUGE importance of finally putting a legitimate and solid OL together.
That scares me a hell of a lot more than these new Hirings in which truthfully do not have enough actual insight and knowledge to know why Flores and Grier accept them. But all the responsibility will be on them so, we just have to wait and see AND keep our fingers crossed they actually know what they are doing.
I understand and agree with you. I was just venting frustration.

Thank you for sharing that. I feel better about, what could develop on offense. Philbin and Gase caused me to lose some faith in a spread offense.
Well, I really find it hard to believe Flores, or anyone else for that matter, would completely abandon their basic philosophy after 1 year as a HC, with substandard line and RB talent.

Its far more likely that he addresses his percieved shortcomings of coaching that failed to implement his vision.

The hire is what it is, I will say I am still not excited, but I rarely get an elevated pulse based on a position coach hire.

From what has been reported, this isn't a trash hire, his units have produced better then any Miami o-line in the last 7 or so years. It is, at the very least, an upgrade. Outside of somehow getting Scarnecchia, who could we have picked up that has a better track record? Columbo? Maybe, but has has only been coaching o-line for a few years, and has spent a good amount of that time working with top level players. Who else did you want? Callahan was the best option out there, so I guess missing out on him would be the downer.

Back
Top Bottom