Rumor - Steve Marshall - New Oline Coach | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rumor - Steve Marshall - New Oline Coach

I think it’s a very real possibility that Flores May be looking for a staff that is moldable.

Flores has coached all over the offense and defense. He may be looking for a staff that isn’t stuck in their own ways and he can have an influence on. He may want his position coaches teaching what HE preaches, not the other way around.

so you go find under the radar coaches and you teach them your ways. delegating. He can’t be everywhere at once, but he can get coaches to buy into his messages then spread them for him.

The question isn't necessarily acknowledging the 5 wins. It's just that some believe that it far exceeds 2-3-4 wins in a 5-11 season to have that #2 or even 1 pk. Now you can agree or not agree but everyone is allowed their opinion (atleast so far) and your tagging as "obsessed" because why ? they have a different opinion which may not correspond to your view.

I think it was a poor decision. I still do because your reasoning after thought out isn't sufficient enough to change my opinion. And I'm not saying it couldn't be changed but I haven't heard a sufficient enough IMO reason to see it as more important. Now I don't think your obsessed of crazy for your view I just don't agree.
Me for the OL would prefer Expereienced and a level of significant success. But its Flores team and I accept and eventually will have my own opinion on their evaluation in the distant future of him and his pick.

Me, I think the opportunity to get a Young, Andrew, Okudah, or even Burrow, and to be a few spots higher in the next rds has more value than those 2 last games. And thats JMO which makes this the place it is all these opinions good and bad.
And yes its alway great to out play and beat N.E., which again IMO is half the team they've been the last 15 years.
I

First, my opinions on opinions. It's one thing, after the fact, to wish Miami had lost all games or just 1-2. In our discussion here, you seem well-reasoned. But, IMO of opinions, those refusing to see ANY positives in any of the wins are in denial (I used the word "obsessed"). Again, while I would have preferred the #1 or #2 pick, I can see Flo and players wanted to win and I see a positive in that. They beat Philly and NE. I see a positive in that. Fans saw a number of players blossom, and a number of new players show potential. All of those are positives.
As for opinions, I think we agree. It's one thing to say those wins hurt the draft pick (they did) or there are positives in the 5 wins (there are). I admire those on both sides - they have valid points. Thus, I don't label someone as "crazy" because they disagree with me. But insulting those who disagree is beyond opinion. Denying the other side has valid points is showing obsession (there's that word again) with a view point. It is not my point to change anyone's mind. No one can do that. I have pointed out the disadvantages of wins and the positives of wins, so I'm not locked in to either position.
I suspect you and I, and all posters, see the same critical needs. I suspect we have a few of the same complaints with Flo (i.e, Ballage). And all honest posters would prefer as high a pick as possible. That's why, during the season, there was angst with very Pit/HOU win.
As for the OL coach - I'm agnostic. I would have preferred a vet OL coach, but, assuming Marshall's the guy, all we can do is hope he turns into a great coach. I suspect we agree there.

As much as I find some of these hires curious I would have to think the last thing he wants to do is regress or make himself look bad so if he believes in them who am I to think otherwise until proven

I never implied it wasn't a good hire, it just didn't make them as great as everyone thought it would. Especially based off name power, people were making wild predictions for that defense when he was hired.
They were better in 2019 than they were in 2018. Just because some people projected the Jets would be a great defense and they weren’t doesn’t mean Williams isn’t an outstanding DC. I for one don’t think the talent on the Jets defense is more than mediocre at best. The fact he got them to play better in 2019 says a lot about him as a DC.

Well our last 3 line coaches produced a team led in rushing by a 35 year QB, a guy who lasted a week before being fired, and a coke head stripper addict. I guess the only more sad of a hire we could make would be someone from the Jets.

Nonsense. There is almost zero chance our line is as bad next year, as this season. If it is, then we need to fire everybody.

Our line probably isn't going to be a top 10 unit, but it is almost impossible to be as bad. We were, arguably, the worst line in decades of NFL teams.

Between FA and the draft, I'm confident we will be at least competent. I can understand skepticism to a point, but you would have to think Flo a Philbin level buffoon, to say our line won't improve.

Top 10? What would prompt you to think this unit is going to improve over 20 spots with the talent currently on the roster?

You follow with being "at least competent", which i can agree with.....but competent is not top 10. Not even close.

A great oline coach may not be able to make a terrible line like ours great. But a bad Oline coach hire can negatively impact an offense. We've seen that before.

Top 10? What would prompt you to think this unit is going to improve over 20 spots with the talent currently on the roster?

You follow with being "at least competent", which i can agree with.....but competent is not top 10. Not even close.

A great oline coach may not be able to make a terrible line like ours great. But a bad Oline coach hire can negatively impact an offense. We've seen that before.
I think you took my post out of the context of the exchange.

I don't disagree about a bad O-line coach being a detriment. I just think it is almost impossible that our line is as bad, or worse in 2020.

This forum and its posting thread starters needs to improve.

What I don't get is the amount of senior posters reacting to this like it's a done deal.

In the OP's defense, it seems as if he was simply trying to share what could be pertinent insider information. Sure its a rumor, and we all need to understand that and take it for what it is worth.

But getting information like this is what makes this site great! I certainly wouldnt want to discourage it.

Granted, we get a lot of BS, but I'm happy to filter through the BS if it means we get some nuggets here and there.

So to the OP, thanks for sharing!

This is just a rumor right now, nothing to indicate any truth to it. Just cause Gailey had a history with this man doesn't make what hes saying true. I like the Austin Clark hire, is he high caliber? Apparently was becoming one of those guys on the college level. Too soon to praise or trash either one of the two new hires.

Too soon on Clark, but Gailey has an established track record. That was a garbage hire. Would have rather kept O’Shea and see what the offense could do with some talent.

I'm starting to lose a little faith in Flores. It doesn't seem like he is capable of bringing in high calibar assistant coaches. I also didn't think he should have fired Chad O'Shea in the first place. I thought he did a good job for the talent he had to work with. It seems like we are taking a step backwards as far as the coaching staff is concerned.

Starting to based on what? Literally nothing has happened so far.

Man all of our traded players for draft picks are looking like we are getting a round lower during these playoffs. For RT for a 5th rounder to the Texans with a 4th, 2nd and 1st. Their new teams are doing well this weekend.

I am in jets country(I work a mile from the practice facility) and boy did the fans here hate him.

2017 Jets rank

30. NEW YORK JETS
Total pressures surrendered: 177
Best player: Kelvin Beachum
Combinations used: 11

The Jets are this low on the list despite the fact that they remained relatively healthy throughout the season and had only five offensive linemen play more than 400 snaps. However, each of them allowed at least two sacks and all graded poorly in run-blocking as well. As a result, the Jets' offensive line allowed a total of 25 sacks, which was tied for the sixth-most in the NFL. Interestingly however, they were among the better teams running the outside zone concept as their backs averaged 2.07 yards before contact on these runs, the third-most in the league.

Back
Top Bottom