Rumors of Byron Jones purposely delaying return for contract reasons. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rumors of Byron Jones purposely delaying return for contract reasons.

This my first thread, but I noticed nobody mention this as I noticed no stone is left unturned here. What do you guys think?

This would be BS which I would blame X for this ****.
Definitely speculation but i didn't realize how bad his contract is. We are stuck with this albatross of a contract for the next couple years. We cant even cut him to save much.

This is what everyone was saying about the Lions and Bears too. Nothing this team has done should make anyone bet on us blowing someone out

Agreed

Won't half to. Miami will be on the hook for 10m next year but save 4m. Some team can give him 5 to 8m to come in for one year on a prove it deal.

Miami would give him a 1 year contract for $9M if they're on the hook for $10. It would be just like Byron Jones to want to leave a possible play off team for a year to prove himself. It's something else.

It makes no sense. If you want to be paid, go out there and show you deserve it
In a perfect world from a fan's perspective, where "honor" is valued, that would be true. From Jones' purely financial standpoint, it really isn't that simple.

I think he was our previous HCs "guy", didn't like the way things went down, and now has a FU attitude towards the team. The org is at least partially to blame here because by restructuring Jones' contract, they gave him additional leverage. Now, even if we cut him, we are on the hook for guarantees, allowing him to go wherever he wants, with no financial loss.

Sucks, but if he doesn't want to be here, you can't really put him on the field. I believe that's why McD has a "it is what it is", without going into any detail on what "it" is, response to questions about it in his PCs.

I don’t believe it. Jones has never been a diva in his entire career and is a team guy. Having said that, I think we should look at ways to move on from him and X (who has proven to be a diva) in the most cap friendly way possible. I think we wasted a chance to trade X for high pick(s) 2 years ago.

Ray I am in 100% agreement with you, renegotiating Howard's contract IMO was a mistake, something I was never in favor of. Howard looks slow, (possibly injured) old and expensive (lol yes...he looks expensive)

In regards to Jones, the article states this is all speculation, but if true, I hope the Dolphins don't make that same mistake with him as they did with Howard.
I was one of the biggest here to disagree with renegotiating X's contract 2 years ago...but then the team promised him they'd re-do it after last season, so they basically had to, else no player would ever believe anything out of their mouth. Blame the FO for that one.

X has been ineffective compared to his norm, but not because he's fallen off...he's had injuries and playing with them. Sucks to lose the elite play from him, but I'm not going to dog him out for being injured...he's not DVP. By all consideration and career trajectory, he was in for a very good 2022...he hadn't hit that "too old" marker yet, so to have expected him to have a great 2022 was logical.

Now...2023 onward? We'll just have to wait and see how they go about it.

I don’t believe it. Jones has never been a diva in his entire career and is a team guy. Having said that, I think we should look at ways to move on from him and X (who has proven to be a diva) in the most cap friendly way possible. I think we wasted a chance to trade X for high pick(s) 2 years ago.
Hmmmm..... I agree that it isn't a "diva" thing. I believe it has to do with his distaste for the way "some ppl" were dealt with in the offseason. That's not a diva issue. It's an anger issue, and human nature almost always seeks payback in that circumstance.

In a perfect world from a fan's perspective, where "honor" is valued, that would be true. From Jones' purely financial standpoint, it really isn't that simple.

I think he was our previous HCs "guy", didn't like the way things went down, and now has a FU attitude towards the team. The org is at least partially to blame here because by restructuring Jones' contract, they gave him additional leverage. Now, even if we cut him, we are on the hook for guarantees, allowing him to go wherever he wants, with no financial loss.

Sucks, but if he doesn't want to be here, you can't really put him on the field. I believe that's why McD has a "it is what it is", without going into any detail on what "it" is, response to questions about it in his PCs.
I agree but pouting over team management and milking injuries won’t make the Dolphins or anyone else want to pay him big money.

Agreed

Miami would give him a 1 year contract for $9M if they're on the hook for $10. It would be just like Byron Jones to want to leave a possible play off team for a year to prove himself. It's something else.
Miami is on the hook for 14m next year to Jones. That ain't gonna happen. He's getting cut, period.

Miami will eat the 10m and take the 4mil in savings and move on.

I agree but pouting over team management and milking injuries won’t make the Dolphins or anyone else want to pay him big money.
That's the thing. It doesn't matter in his specific case. He already got his big, once in a career payday. He is nearing the end of his career, knows it, and unlikely to get another big contract anyway. He can sit on his ass, collect 14 mil this year while collecting the balance of his guaranteed $, force the Phins to cut him (eating the dead money), and walk into whatever team's TC he wants. If he's healthy, he will get a multimillion-dollar contract. Maybe not a "top" CB contract, but as I said, he isn't likely to get that, regardless.

Back
Top Bottom