Rumors of Byron Jones purposely delaying return for contract reasons. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rumors of Byron Jones purposely delaying return for contract reasons.

He had surgery on his ankle in March and still isn’t 100%. It is pure speculation that he isn’t returning because of contract issues. I don’t believe it and the Dolphins obviously aren’t about to offer him more money since he hasn’t played a single down this year.

He will return once he is fully recovered from his surgery and the doctors clear him to play. Maybe that will be this season or in 2023.

Last edited:
Merry Christmas Football GIF by SportsManias

You don’t save the money, you spread the cap hit over two years. You can’t magically save the money.
Sorry, but we would get 14 mil in cap space his offseason to replace him? I don't care about Ross losing money.

He has surgery on his ankle in March and still isn’t 100%. It is pure speculation that he isn’t returning because of contract issues. I don’t believe it and the Dolphins obviously aren’t about to offer him more money since he hasn’t played a single down this year.

He will return once he is fully recovered from his surgery and the doctors clear him to play. Maybe that will be this season or in 2023.
Fair enough but given the lack of information coming from either party, that is pure speculation as well. If it were that simple, I would think a guy like McD would just say that, rather than tap dance around the issue when asked directly. I mean I really don't see the downside of just saying that if it were the truth. I would think Jones' side would want to "clear the air" on the issue, being that he is now being accused of some questionable motives.

Fair enough but given the lack of information coming from either party, that is pure speculation as well. If it were that simple, I would think a guy like McD would just say that, rather than tap dance around the issue when asked directly. I mean I really don't see the downside of just saying that if it were the truth. I would think Jones' side would want to "clear the air" on the issue, being that he is now being accused of some questionable motives.

Yes, Jones' camp would have said he's committed to the Dolphins there would be nothing lost in that if that were the case. Rather they have been completely silent so reading between the lines it's an obvious case of him looking out for #1. So a stupid move by whoever gave him that 2nd contract. That was too easy.

Sorry, but you do not understand how it actually works.
Sorry, I guess I must be misunderstanding something then. Maybe you can give me a short explanation in a private message. I thought if we cut him post June 1st, we then would have 14 million more available in cap space, even if we are still paying him.

i wouldn't read that crap speculation in the original post, but if the team thinks he is ready to go out there and play, but his Agent and/or personal doctors do not, I am sure we will hear about eventually.

personally i think he is dying to get back out on the field, and will be out there as soon as he is ready to go.
Again…I understand he had setbacks in recovery!

Sorry, I guess I must be misunderstanding something then. Maybe you can give me a short explanation in a private message. I thought if we cut him post June 1st, we then would have 14 million more available in cap space, even if we are still paying him.
The problem is you are only looking at one single year in a vacuum. If you cut him post June 1st, 2023, yes you gain for the year but, ultimately, what you are doing is moving just over 10 million in dead money down the road to 2024.

Now, I'm not going to argue the wisdom, one way or the other, of that. All I'm saying is there is no free lunch. It isn't a matter of Ross' money verses cap money. It's just a matter of when you want to take the big hit, and there are future, roster wide implications involved.

Again…I understand he had setbacks in recovery!
You understand that from where? As I recall, McD has repeated balked at the idea of "setbacks" being the issue. Of course, he did so without going into any detail. I think that was purposefully done to allow ppl to draw their own conclusions without direct accusations.

How so? He’s going to play 4 or so games in an attempt to keep his value high. Unless he suck’s then it might backfire but I suppose it’s playing the odds.

He’s talking about if he was the player Omar said that he was wasting his career with Tua. I doubt any player said that though probably Omar being a weasel

The problem is you are only looking at one single year in a vacuum. If you cut him post June 1st, 2023, yes you gain for the year but, ultimately, what you are doing is moving just over 10 million in dead money down the road to 2024.

Now, I'm not going to argue the wisdom, one way or the other, of that. All I'm saying is there is no free lunch. It isn't a matter of Ross' money verses cap money. It's just a matter of when you want to take the big hit, and there are future, roster wide implications involved.

Brother the hit down the road may not be that bad with the new tv deal around the corner. :ffic:

Sorry, but we would get 14 mil in cap space his offseason to replace him? I don't care about Ross losing money.

I don’t care about Ross losing money either, in fact I’m in favor of it.

But your under the impression that the cap charge just vanishes if you declare him a post June 1st cut. Your just pushing that money into future salary caps which has been proven to be stupid.

You’d actually still only save $4M (long term) and finding a CB of Jones caliber for that money is impossible. And I say that as a guy who isn’t Byron’s biggest fan to begin with.

Kicking the can down the road shouldn’t be our MO moving forward. Eating the the bad contracts and being clear of them 2 years from is what we need once Tua has an extension.

Back
Top Bottom