Run The Damn Ball!!!!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Classic, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Classic

Classic Well-Known Member

And when all else fails, run it again.

Tannehill and the defense's best friend is going to be a good running game. Ryan is dangerous off of play action - I want to see a heavy dose of running the ball with the stable of backs we have. IMO, it's one of the most crucial parts to a succesful season.

I recall Gase saying he was uncomfortable with running the amount he did back in 2016. He better get over that fast because I think that is going to be the strength of our offense. Hopefully he plays to our strengths because I think we can have one of the better rushing attacks in football....

Do you think we will be a run first team?

2. Aqua ‘N Orange

Aqua ‘N Orange Well-Known Member

Nope. Scheme driven run game

rickd13 likes this.
  3. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I doubt we'll ever be run first, dominate the opponent via physicality type of offense as long as Gase is here.

Agua likes this.
  4. jazz015

jazz015 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Almost all the run first coaches have gotten fired. it's a brand new nfl.

In Gase We Trust and Ray R like this.
  5. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

We're going to have a very good run game this year, injuries permitting. Be tough not to lean on it. Will open up the playbook for us big tim, which Gase has yet to really do.

Ray R likes this.
  6. Ren

Ren Rookie

Today's NFL is built to be a pass first league. If we play run first, we'll struggle to keep up on the scoreboard.

7. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Not Quite A Shredder Finheaven VIP

Easy to agree until the first drive of the game happens, we run the ball for -2 and then 3 yards on first 2 plays to set up a doomed "yes defense we are passing now" 3rd and 9. Run the damn ball when nursing a 2 score lead.

8. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

Adam Gase doesn’t like to run the ball much at all, and it’s why I believe he’s destined to fail long term as a head coach unless he has a Tom Brady level Qb.

We were dead last in rushing attempts last season. That is unacceptable.

9. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

I don't see how anything can be taken from last season.

russst, joenhre, andyahs and 4 others like this.
  10. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Agreed. Something will have gone wrong with our offense if we are throwing it 30+ times a game.

During our 7-1 stretch in 2016 we threw the ball over 30 times 3x. Against Pitt, the Rams and Baltimore. Baltimore and the Rams were our two worst offensive performances of the stretch. Tannehill had 1,723 passing yards, and not a single 300 yard game. Over the course of 16 games that would have been 3446 yards, which would be the lowest of his career after his rookie year.

11. Yessir

It’s his offensive philosophy. He HATED giving Ajayi that feature back role because It required him to scrap what he truly wants to do. Which is Pass, pass, and pass some more.

This type of philosophy requires god move QB execution and elite pass pro. It’s going to be his downfall because he will have neither and still try to force it.

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  12. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

I actually expect us to increase the running game this year. Our RBs have looked good in practice. We have upgraded in coaching with Eric Studesville (former Denver RB Coach - Super Bowl winner) who wanted to work with Gase again. Future HOF, Frank Gore is a big upgrade on Damien Williams and he's looking great. Kenyan Drake looks polished, confident and has put on some muscle. Kalen Ballage looks a good rookie to develop - when you see him in person he looks big (built like a linebacker). Lots of ingredients for a successful running game.

Ray R likes this.
  13. Gsmack_42

Gsmack_42 A True Fan

He’s no different than any othe nfl coach. Up by two scores run it run it run it. Down by two scores pass it pass it pass it.

14. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

So his pass first philosophy is going to be the reason he fails as a head coach?

Wouldn't that mark 98% of the head coaches in the league for failure as well?

15. Yessir

The Vast majority of playoff teams tend to be in the top half of the league in rushing attempts so nah.

16. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

Well teams will be stacking the box on us, forcing Tannehill to beat them. Much like blake bortles and the jags. Tannehill doesnt have the respect around the league.

17. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Formerly Fiedler for MVP

The Bears were last in pass attempts in 2017 at 473 attempts, or 29.5 attempts per game. The league average was 34 attempts per game, and Miami ranked #4. Gase wants to throw.

30+ passes per game aren't an indication of anything being wrong with the offense, just that it's 2018. That 8 game stretch was an outlier, Ajayi ran possessed and put up the vast majority of his 1200 yards.

18. superphin

superphin don't go clown shoes on us Finheaven VIP

Just because Cutler was our QB doesn't mean we can't take some things away.

Last season we were 29th in 1st QTR rush attempts despite only being down by more than 1 TD in 2 games in the 1st QTR. If it's only the 1st QTR and we're within 7 points in 14 out of 16 games and yet were 29th in 1st QTR rush attempts there's much to take away from that.

DolfanDuBbZ~, NBP81, BobDole and 3 others like this.
  19. Gsmack_42

Gsmack_42 A True Fan

For a coach how hates to run the ball. He’s the 1st coach since 2005 to have a rb go for 200 yards 3 times in a season. And if I counted right it’s been done 4 times. 1973 bills, OJ’s 2000 yard season. 1980 Oilers, 2005 Giants and 2016 Phins. Oilers did it 4 times in1980 to bad they lost to the Pittsburgh in the playoffs all the time.

Ray R likes this.
  20. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Yea but that stat can be swayed by finishing off games in the 3rd/4th quarter.

If you could divide rushing attempts by half or quarter I’d be more inclined to correlate the stat to a rush first versus pass first team.

21. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

Balance.

Use the run to set up the pass.

Use the pass to set up the run.

Keep the D off-balance by being balanced on O

It's a classic strategy that continues to work.

Unless you're Dan Marino.

In that case -- you use the pass to set up the pass!

22. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

Provide stats to that claim, please.

If the Pats are up by 21 going into the 4th, I'd imagine their rushing numbers for that last quarter would be just a tad higher than if they were tied dontcha think.

23. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

We've already established that he's a Pass-First (Meaning he will Pass ...First) coach, I don't see the need to bring in stats that prove what the whole board agrees on.

24. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Not Quite A Shredder Finheaven VIP

Yup, the fact that teams that are losing big have to abandon the run at some point has always helped bolster the running=winning stats. Not saying its meaningless by any means, but it seems the analysts often overlook that part of the equation.

Ray R likes this.
  25. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

I have been around in those Marino years when the defense always stunk because of our quickstart offense and the defense was worn out being on the field the entire game.
    Then along came Rickey Williams and suddenly our defense was top 10 every year.
    A strong running game protects both your defense and QB. So running the ball just makes sense.

26. Superself

Superself If you want to, we can supply you. Finheaven VIP

It's truly a chess game. You will lean on the advantage that the defense gives you.
    If they stack the box and you come out running, the odds are not going to be in your favor.
    When they get gashed by short to mid area passing, all of a sudden the running game will be advantageous.

Ray R likes this.
  27. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

I personally see the best running game we've had since Ricky was here. Drake and Gore is a good 1 2

28. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Too many variables. I suspect Miami will run the ball more than last year, but they can do that and still be below league average. It also depends on the score in 2H. And depends on how the D is playing. If the stack the box, common sense suggests more passes. Defending the pass first . . . just the opposite. And I suspect Gase has already thought through his strategy is Miami is, in fact, playing with the lead.

Superself likes this.
  29. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Like someone said already....balance is the key. You need to run when you want to run instead of running when you have to. You also want to pass when you want to instead of passing when you have no choice. Like I said before, it starts up front with the O-line and having good balance.

rent this space likes this.
  30. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

The last two years Gase was noticeably limited in what he had to work with on the offense. He is not nearly as limited this year; in fact we are probably stronger than we have been in the last two years in both our running and passing game and with our upgraded front line.

AJ was not a very consistent runner in 2016 (feast or famine) and last year he chose to avoid contact, run off script in an attempt to be a hero and failed to make yards rather than just make contact and settle for a few yards. The good news was that Drake did not suffer from whatever bothered AJ, ran called plays and excelled. He played consistently well and had a better season with us than AJ did.

I think we will be a pass heavy team and use our running game effectively to confuse defenses with a lot of passes to our RB's. I think we will see some kind of fullback implementations using our RB's and TE's. I don't have any preference between running and passing as long as we are effective with both and use them to keep defenses confused and at bay.

Our red zone performance is where I feel our running game will really make itself felt. This will be seen by either directly running for TD's, or indirectly by being a constant threat that will free up our passing game. I'm looking forward to an exciting year and have very high expectations for post season play.

31. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

As long as Miami has more balance on offense I'll be happy. I would prefer to have a top five rushing attack, but I don't think the team is quite at that level. Someone else said it was more of a scheme rushing attack and I agree with that. When the Dolphins have to run the ball to put the game away or keep drives going, they haven't been that successful. If Miami can be a little above league average in that regard, then it very well could lead to a playoff run.

32. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team Finheaven VIP

We brought in Frank Gore to run the ball. But, it's all situational Football these days. Each game will be a different story until the offense gets a specific identity. You have to give Kenyon Drake his carries because he too damn good not to. I predict Gore crushes it for us as well. What I want is for the offense to always have the defense on its heels. If the D doesn't know if we are running or passing that's a victory for the offense. Play Action is one of Tannehill's strengths so I expect to see plenty of it. It takes running the ball successfully to make PA effective so there's a bunch of carries early in each game that have to happen. We just can't afford to get stuffed or it will be 3rd and 9 and we know how they usually go. We really are not good enough to play behind the sticks. So, if we pass to set up the run or the other way around it doesn't matter to me. Just get the job done.

dougb123 likes this.
  33. superphin

superphin don't go clown shoes on us Finheaven VIP

I'm not trying to take anything away from Drake and this is me strictly talking from his highlights I just finished watching. It seemed like a lot of Drakes long runs last year consisted of him bouncing it to the outside as oppose to just sticking to the script. Essentially Drake and Jay were each going for the home run except that Drake had way more success due to superior speed, vision or what have you.

34. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I don't get to see many of the games and most of my information comes via this forum. What I read pointed to hitting the holes and being elusive. I always consider hitting the holes includes some type of contact. It could be a poor choice of words. I'll be in the sports bars this year.

35. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

Further point is -- pass threat (primary) means the D is playing accordingly.

Hence, play action passes = not so good.

Draws and such, including Thill "scrambles" = yea baby!

If and when you establish the run as a legit threat to the D =

of course play action etc. should get traction.

Editors note: P Manning's best shtick was with Edgerrin James (remember him?

Because of the obvious one-two punch of run/pass = play action effective.

PA passes lacking establishing the run = masturbation.

Just like the Lombardy sweep: it was "simple." But nearly impossible to stop.

I get the fact Gase and his kind offer "entertainment" upsides, which the N F L is

heretofore all about.

That said, the 3 ring circus will never = the greatness of a singular player like Marino.

Dan, as a singular temporal entity, was a "system."

And at least Shula had sufficient brains to just let that animal run free!

So. What kinda animal is Thill?

We'll soon see.

I hope he's a Crow.

With a fixed up leg. Highly intelligent.

Super efficient. Capable of getting the core task (job) done.

Play in. Play out!

If so. We could go a long way!

BNF

Ray R likes this.
  36. dougb123

dougb123 Well-Known Member

There was some talk before the season started from Dowell Loggains that Gase wanted to go no-huddle hurry-up like we tried in 2016 to start the season out, it wasn't remotely successful in 2016 and scares the hell out of me...

If he gets it to work I will be the first to tip my hat to him.

Ray R likes this.
  37. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

In 2017... 6 out of the top 10 leaders in rushing attempts made the playoffs

In 2016... 3 out of the top 10 leaders in rushing attempts made the playoffs

Ray R likes this.
  38. Gsmack_42

Gsmack_42 A True Fan

But wouldn’t vast majority be more than 60%, I think of vast being 80% or more.

39. FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard FearTheBurke

This is going to be one of the most pass happy offenses in the league.

Ray R likes this.
  40. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

I'm just here to post the stats

Ray R likes this.