Run The Damn Ball!!!! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Run The Damn Ball!!!!

Well teams will be stacking the box on us, forcing Tannehill to beat them. Much like blake bortles and the jags. Tannehill doesnt have the respect around the league.

Agreed. Something will have gone wrong with our offense if we are throwing it 30+ times a game.

During our 7-1 stretch in 2016 we threw the ball over 30 times 3x. Against Pitt, the Rams and Baltimore. Baltimore and the Rams were our two worst offensive performances of the stretch. Tannehill had 1,723 passing yards, and not a single 300 yard game. Over the course of 16 games that would have been 3446 yards, which would be the lowest of his career after his rookie year.
The Bears were last in pass attempts in 2017 at 473 attempts, or 29.5 attempts per game. The league average was 34 attempts per game, and Miami ranked #4. Gase wants to throw.

30+ passes per game aren't an indication of anything being wrong with the offense, just that it's 2018. That 8 game stretch was an outlier, Ajayi ran possessed and put up the vast majority of his 1200 yards.

I don't see how anything can be taken from last season.

Just because Cutler was our QB doesn't mean we can't take some things away.

Last season we were 29th in 1st QTR rush attempts despite only being down by more than 1 TD in 2 games in the 1st QTR. If it's only the 1st QTR and we're within 7 points in 14 out of 16 games and yet were 29th in 1st QTR rush attempts there's much to take away from that.

So his pass first philosophy is going to be the reason he fails as a head coach?

Wouldn't that mark 98% of the head coaches in the league for failure as well?

For a coach how hates to run the ball. He’s the 1st coach since 2005 to have a rb go for 200 yards 3 times in a season. And if I counted right it’s been done 4 times. 1973 bills, OJ’s 2000 yard season. 1980 Oilers, 2005 Giants and 2016 Phins. Oilers did it 4 times in1980 to bad they lost to the Pittsburgh in the playoffs all the time.

The Vast majority of playoff teams tend to be in the top half of the league in rushing attempts so nah.

Yea but that stat can be swayed by finishing off games in the 3rd/4th quarter.

If you could divide rushing attempts by half or quarter I’d be more inclined to correlate the stat to a rush first versus pass first team.

The Vast majority of playoff teams tend to be in the top half of the league in rushing attempts so nah.
Provide stats to that claim, please.

If the Pats are up by 21 going into the 4th, I'd imagine their rushing numbers for that last quarter would be just a tad higher than if they were tied dontcha think.

Just because Cutler was our QB doesn't mean we can't take some things away.

Last season we were 29th in 1st QTR rush attempts despite only being down by more than 1 TD in 2 games in the 1st QTR. If it's only the 1st QTR and we're within 7 points in 14 out of 16 games and yet were 29th in 1st QTR rush attempts there's much to take away from that.

We've already established that he's a Pass-First (Meaning he will Pass ...First) coach, I don't see the need to bring in stats that prove what the whole board agrees on.

Yea but that stat can be swayed by finishing off games in the 3rd/4th quarter.

Yup, the fact that teams that are losing big have to abandon the run at some point has always helped bolster the running=winning stats. Not saying its meaningless by any means, but it seems the analysts often overlook that part of the equation.

I have been around in those Marino years when the defense always stunk because of our quickstart offense and the defense was worn out being on the field the entire game.
Then along came Rickey Williams and suddenly our defense was top 10 every year.
A strong running game protects both your defense and QB. So running the ball just makes sense.

It's truly a chess game. You will lean on the advantage that the defense gives you.
If they stack the box and you come out running, the odds are not going to be in your favor.
When they get gashed by short to mid area passing, all of a sudden the running game will be advantageous.

And when all else fails, run it again.

Tannehill and the defense's best friend is going to be a good running game. Ryan is dangerous off of play action - I want to see a heavy dose of running the ball with the stable of backs we have. IMO, it's one of the most crucial parts to a succesful season.

I recall Gase saying he was uncomfortable with running the amount he did back in 2016. He better get over that fast because I think that is going to be the strength of our offense. Hopefully he plays to our strengths because I think we can have one of the better rushing attacks in football....

Do you think we will be a run first team?

Too many variables. I suspect Miami will run the ball more than last year, but they can do that and still be below league average. It also depends on the score in 2H. And depends on how the D is playing. If the stack the box, common sense suggests more passes. Defending the pass first . . . just the opposite. And I suspect Gase has already thought through his strategy is Miami is, in fact, playing with the lead.

Like someone said already....balance is the key. You need to run when you want to run instead of running when you have to. You also want to pass when you want to instead of passing when you have no choice. Like I said before, it starts up front with the O-line and having good balance.

The last two years Gase was noticeably limited in what he had to work with on the offense. He is not nearly as limited this year; in fact we are probably stronger than we have been in the last two years in both our running and passing game and with our upgraded front line.

AJ was not a very consistent runner in 2016 (feast or famine) and last year he chose to avoid contact, run off script in an attempt to be a hero and failed to make yards rather than just make contact and settle for a few yards. The good news was that Drake did not suffer from whatever bothered AJ, ran called plays and excelled. He played consistently well and had a better season with us than AJ did.

I think we will be a pass heavy team and use our running game effectively to confuse defenses with a lot of passes to our RB's. I think we will see some kind of fullback implementations using our RB's and TE's. I don't have any preference between running and passing as long as we are effective with both and use them to keep defenses confused and at bay.

Our red zone performance is where I feel our running game will really make itself felt. This will be seen by either directly running for TD's, or indirectly by being a constant threat that will free up our passing game. I'm looking forward to an exciting year and have very high expectations for post season play.

Back
Top Bottom