Running and defense wins championships | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Running and defense wins championships

They aren't the #1 seed in the AFC....the highest remaining, but they weren't the #1 seed.
Okay, so they were "only" the number two seed with a 12-4 record and a first round bye. My point still stands. In response to someone saying the Chiefs team around Mahomes isn't very good I made the point that they are still the odds on favorite to get to the Super Bowl now. That's because of elite QB play.

Everybody gets so hung up on QB but the O line and running game and defense is much more important. With those in place all you need is a good QB, don't need a HOF QB. The Titans are showing this and are in the AFC title game. So get us a bruising RB, fix the O line and shore up the D and we are there too. We don't need to blow a top pick on a QB. Use those picks to build up the line, defense and running game.

I agree it can happen but the window is much smaller to win a super bowl without a top flight QB. We could kill this draft and draft nothing but pro bowlers but won't be able to resign everyone 4 or 5 years down the road. If Tannehill was the QB for the chiefs would they make it this far? Having a QB like Mahomes almost guarantees playoffs every season. Wilson, Brees, Brady, Roethlisberger, Rodgers those guys are always in the playoffs. And now it's looking like some young guys like Lamar Jackson and Watson have made the playoffs two years in a row. Then it's just a matter of adding the pieces around them.

Last edited:
The NFL frequently changes, I'd be happier if the NFL did start changing back to the way it used to be where offenses were more balanced, actually used I formations, and running backs were appreciated not treated like used condoms after a few seasons of usage.

I still believe even in today's NFL a good hard nosed Running team with a good defense can win championship's too.. I'm happy to see teams like the 49ers and Titans succeeding over these stat whoring offenses.. Yeah Mahomes or Jackson might throw for 500 but if the drive ends in a interception or fumble was it really an efficient offense?

The NFL frequently changes, I'd be happier if the NFL did start changing back to the way it used to be where offenses were more balanced, actually used I formations, and running backs were appreciated not treated like used condoms after a few seasons of usage.

I still believe even in today's NFL a good hard nosed Running team with a good defense can win championship's too.. I'm happy to see teams like the 49ers and Titans succeeding over these stat whoring offenses.. Yeah Mahomes or Jackson might throw for 500 but if the drive ends in a interception or fumble was it really an efficient offense?
In your example efficient absolutely....effective no

I wonder, are the teams better at running because they are playing with the lead in most games?

Poor teams are behind a lot and end up abandoning the run and pass for 40 plus times to try to get back into the game, while teams that are good, get early leads and run the ball more as it eats up clock.

You don’t have to wonder. There are play-by-play analyses out there for free if it’s bothering you.

The 49ers are running the ball with the most creative play calling I have ever seen in the running game. Shanahan is brilliant in my opinion.

"I'd wager that the thing that apparently wins championships is the thing that the team that is the current flavour of the week does week"
Well yeah that's my point 'x wins championships' comments are dumb because x is always different depending on who is currently winning. I wasn't suggesting that quote was an actual alternative.

Last edited:
Everybody gets so hung up on QB but the O line and running game and defense is much more important. With those in place all you need is a good QB, don't need a HOF QB. The Titans are showing this and are in the AFC title game. So get us a bruising RB, fix the O line and shore up the D and we are there too. We don't need to blow a top pick on a QB. Use those picks to build up the line, defense and running game.
I'll pass. In today's NFL, I'll take a top flight qb with a high scoring offense over a running game and defense any day of the week.

Well yeah that's my point 'x wins championships' comments are dumb because x is always different depending on who is currently winning. I wasn't suggesting that quote was an actual alternative.

Fair enough. But there are characteristics that are consistent (not 'always') with teams reaching the SB - top 10 D, top 10 OL, top 10 QB. Don't need all 3, but the more the better. Note top 10 passing and top 10 rush are NOT the top 3

Fair enough. But there are characteristics that are consistent (not 'always') with teams reaching the SB - top 10 D, top 10 OL, top 10 QB. Don't need all 3, but the more the better. Note top 10 passing and top 10 rush are NOT the top 3
Sure, consistently good (not necessarily great) performance across most if not all levels of the game and the flexability to rely on different aspects depending on the opponent or situation. I would say Tennessee, Green Bay and San Fran have demonstrated this across the season.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom