Running and defense wins championships | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Running and defense wins championships

Dolphins should draft 2 wideouts and 2 running backs and a 2 quarterbacks at the top. Hurts, Herbert, McDonald, Jefferson, Ceedee, Tyler Johnson, Higgins, Etienne, Hubbard, Najee.
Load up!

My bad, I got confused in the actual argument, while you guys were talking about winning SBs, I somehow misinterpreted it for teams making the playoffs... As for the actual argument, I havent looked at the superbowl winners or teams making the superbowl by itself and I have no reason to believe @fansinceGWilson would make stuff up for the **** of it so nevermind my previous arguments in this particular conversation....

Let me make a qualification- I only looked at team stats, reasoning individual stats can be at odds with team stats

Dolphins should draft 2 wideouts and 2 running backs and a 2 quarterbacks at the top. Hurts, Herbert, McDonald, Jefferson, Ceedee, Tyler Johnson, Higgins, Etienne, Hubbard, Najee.
Load up!
A good number of those will be gone in between our selections - everyone wants those players

They made the playoffs...and two of the top three rushing teams are in the conference championship games. How much closer to the Super Bowl do you want?
Closer than the divisional round for sure.
my contention is you need to be balanced; when you rely on one side of things too much, it catches up with you.

not only that, it only takes one pick to fix the qb position compared to over a dozen to build a defense and running game. It makes no sense to give the latter priority. It’s not even a fair comparison to say you’d rather be good at 15 other positions rather than one. Let me know how many people would take any db, rb, olineman, de over mahomes. That’s a fair comparison cause they both only require one selection

THIS

You only need to find ONE QB. Of course everyone would love to have a stout defense and a great rushing attack but that requires a lot more capital.

You want a great rushing attack? Great. Go find 2-3 RB's and 7-8 OL.

You want a stout defense? Great. Go find 5-6 DL, 3-4 LB's and 6-7 DB's.

I'll take that ONE great QB over 23-28 other guys. This isn't that hard. If you don't get it, you simply don't want to.

Closer than the divisional round for sure.
my contention is you need to be balanced; when you rely on one side of things too much, it catches up with you.
Agreed when your Offense can dictate the game to the D you are truly in the drivers seat and you can change it up when the D overcompensates

The Pats did it to perfection when Tom was at his peak - the play action destroyed our LB not just us tho

THIS

You only need to find ONE QB. Of course everyone would love to have a stout defense and a great rushing attack but that requires a lot more capital.

I'll take that ONE great QB over 23-28 other guys. This isn't that hard. If you don't get it, you simply don't want to.

exactly right

THIS

Not disagreeing, but don't discount how difficult it is to get an elite QB.
And fixing the D just requires 1-2 top guys and a lot of average guys. Still not easy, but it doesn't require a home run every pick

couldn't bring myself to read 20 pages of this tired debate but after watching mahomes, watson, wilson, and rodgers duke it out last night i just really came here to tell anyone trying to use this argument to devalue the QB position to

just. stop.

Historically speaking -- the dynamic excitement Marino and the air game

brought to the league has been the NFLs recipe for it's product for over

25 years. No secret high scoring pinball action is preferred by advertisers

over the rather "boring" traditional ball based on run game and D.

That said, the league is heavily tilted (via rules and basic structure)

to reward "excitement" and protect the best interest of the advertisers

who are the PRIMARY CONSTITUENCY of the overloads (i.e., owners).

The "fan base" in this equation is simply the commodity being pimped.

Bottom line, the league is multi Billion Dollar enterprise driven by

immense advertising revenues (translated via TV contracts) coupled to

a massive audience... Quality of the product is irrelevant!

What matters is viewership -- and whatever generates HUGE numbers.

I saw one running team run the ball effectively, and the other running team threw the ball almost 60 times... Titans didn't even have to shut down the read option cause the Ravens did it for them.

I have always been an advocate for building the trenches but I would not say it's more important than having a franchise QB. There is no single formula to success but I would think you want the TEAM as close to a complete team as you can get so you can win games in more ways than one, depending on the opponent. I also think coaching is just as important so they can adapt to whatever team strengths they may have at the moment.

Have a great running game and defense is a huge advantage and will make the QB's life much easier. It won't however, lead your team 80 yards to a TD with under 2 minutes left to win the game as much as a clutch QB would do....and it won't help a lot if you get down by a couple scores early.

You can have a great front 7 that shuts down the run but if you can't cover on the back end teams will just abandon the run and spread you out.

Back
Top Bottom