Running and defense wins championships | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Running and defense wins championships

It doesn't have to be great to help the passing game. But the more threat the running game is, the more effective the passing game will be.
Not on average. I mean when a team just plows through a defense all game with no resistance, maybe. But its a rare occurence, far away from the norm.

Yes, it has... BUT there are always outliers and I think Henry fits the outlier category... I noticed that you are VIP, I encourage you to take a look at this thread when you have 30-45 minutes to kill, j-off is always on top of the strategy trends. There's alot of gold in there for someone looking for insight into offense startegy.

https://finheaven.com/threads/schemes-offense.350866/

I stand corrected. Yet, every offense fakes handoffs to their running backs on a regular basis. Go figure?

I stand corrected. Yet, every offense fakes handoffs to their running backs on a regular basis. Go figure?
I didnt say PA wasnt effective, just that how good of a running game you have doesnt make it more or less effective...

I didnt say PA wasnt effective, just that how good of a running game you have doesnt make it more or less effective...
A recent article I found on the subject of PA in the NFL today. Why teams do, and sometimes do not, use it. Also shows a correlation in passing efficiency improvement when play action is used by any offense. Whether their running game is a serious threat, or not. I think the main thing it does is keep defenses honest, within reason.

Also, if the game is not a blowout, why pass when you can run and control the ball, making the game shorter? That's what the Titans have been doing. They didn't have Tannehill passing because they didn't need to.

More reading material on the subject, and written just last week . . .

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/can-nfl-coaches-overuse-play-action-they-havent-yet/

Last edited:
A recent article I found on the subject of PA in the NFL today. Why teams do, and sometimes do not, use it. Also shows a correlation in passing efficiency improvement when play action is used by any offense. Whether their running game is a serious threat, or not. I think the main thing it does is keep defenses honest, within reason.

Also, if the game is not a blowout, why pass when you can run and control the ball, making the game shorter? That's what the Titans have been doing. They didn't have Tannehill passing because they didn't need to.

Exactly! If you want to know more about the relationship between run and pass, go to post 310 in this thread and click on the tweet... Dont just read the tweet, click on it as there are a bunch of them. I think you'll find it quite interesting.

As for the killing the clock argument, if I were the Titans, I would certainly not use the killing the clock strategy against KC...

Exactly! If you want to know more about the relationship between run and pass, go to post 310 in this thread and click on the tweet... Dont just read the tweet, click on it as there are a bunch of them. I think you'll find it quite interesting.

As for the killing the clock argument, if I were the Titans, I would certainly not use the killing the clock strategy against KC...

I'll check that out. Thanks. Yeah, KC can strike in a hurry. Although, that did work against our Marino teams more than I like to admit. Buffalo was super good at it.

I'll check that out. Thanks. Yeah, KC can strike in a hurry. Although, that did work against our Marino teams more than I like to admit. Buffalo was super good at it.
I just noticed your last link to the 538 website... While I never actually visited the site, I read Nate Silvers book a couple years ago as Im always interested in what ex fellow poker players move on to. Found it quite interesting and proceeded to learn more about bayesian inference because of that book.

Chiefs, Packers and 49ers are ok running the ball, but not really their strength. I wouldn't say any of those three teams made it this far becasue of their running game.

I'm confused here. Surely you're not saying Miami's PA was as effective as TENN
No I said Tenn is an outlier. On average, how well you run the ball doesnt really affect how effective your PA is...
Yes, it has... BUT there are always outliers and I think Henry fits the outlier category...

I'm confused here. Surely you're not saying Miami's PA was as effective as TENN
When taken to extremes (as in our run attack was extremely bad), I would certainly agree that our PA probably had a negligible effect.

In general though, play action is used to influence a defender into making a false read of his "key", so if there is any semblance of a threat, the effect is not that different than if the run game is dominant.

That is the theory, at least. In actual practice though, your milage may vary. That is the problem with most "blanket" statements.

Last edited:
No I said Tenn is an outlier. On average, how well you run the ball doesnt really affect how effective your PA is...

Let me re-ask.
Surely you're not saying Miami's PA was as effective as the 10th ranked rushing team

I'll pass. In today's NFL, I'll take a top flight qb with a high scoring offense over a running game and defense any day of the week.

In a vacuum.... this statement takes me back to the days of Dan Marino....

I agree todays game has grown into a pass first league ...

But, the key (it's been mentioned a few times) is BALANCE... I don't think you can sustain success without both.... tough to build both sides of the ball period ... much tougher to maintain it in todays NFL ....

I agree with building the offense first around a QB … I disagree with building it around an injured QB hopeful regardless of potential mainly because of the time involved (unknown) to heal and the outcome isn't a foregone conclusion....

But, as a fan, I like when a team dominates on defense and controls the opponent with pounding them senseless.... having said that, you MUST have a guy behind center that can put the team on his shoulders and keep the opponent off balance ... the coaching... the game planning ... the TOP ... turnovers ... ALL of these things happen in every game and to rely on any or all of them in order to be a champion is not sustainable .... but without them you are probably sitting at home during the playoffs

The back and forth debates going on here read more like "I'm right and you're not" to me ... nearly every argument has it's own merits ... but to sustain a championship team you need BALANCE ... and a front office that works in concert with the coaching staff ... and contracts that don't cripple you ...

It's not easy ... but with the right QB ... the team will have a longer shelf life in the end ... IMO

Everybody gets so hung up on QB but the O line and running game and defense is much more important. With those in place all you need is a good QB, don't need a HOF QB. The Titans are showing this and are in the AFC title game. So get us a bruising RB, fix the O line and shore up the D and we are there too. We don't need to blow a top pick on a QB. Use those picks to build up the line, defense and running game.
Agreed but we need to be strong at both RB and QB. Right now we're bad at both. But sure, look at Tannehill. Twice he's had a back putting up a HOF year and twice, he's looked very good. It takes mega pressure off of him and he's able to perform at a complimentary level. But, we also need a QB that when the RB gets injured or some holy god defense takes them out of the game, that we can beat them passing the ball.

Back
Top Bottom