Running and defense wins championships | Page 23 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Running and defense wins championships

Titans are doing exactly what they should be doing against their opponents, but it's working because their offense isn't turning the ball over and the opposing offenses are. I don't think I need to tell everybody that the Titans' offense looks far, far different when playing from behind.

Tannehill has been the ultimate game manager for him and that's the kind of QB he is. He was always capable of winning chunks of chunks when the pieces around him were functional. It's when those pieces start to break down and more responsibility gets heaped on to him that things take a turn for the worse, and that's because he isn't one of those elite guys that is capable of carrying you. Which is fine, but I don't want to be a team that accepts "fine".

Agreed but we need to be strong at both RB and QB. Right now we're bad at both. But sure, look at Tannehill. Twice he's had a back putting up a HOF year and twice, he's looked very good. It takes mega pressure off of him and he's able to perform at a complimentary level. But, we also need a QB that when the RB gets injured or some holy god defense takes them out of the game, that we can beat them passing the ball.

Agreed. I have no idea why some see this as either/or.

Let me re-ask.
Surely you're not saying Miami's PA was as effective as the 10th ranked rushing team
Actually, Miami had the worst pass success rate in the league and were 2nd to last in Y/A... So yeah, about 30 teams were better than the Fins at it...

Actually, Miami had the worst pass success rate in the league and were 2nd to last in Y/A... So yeah, about 30 teams were better than the Fins at it...

I agree average rush teams can be successful in PA. Doesn't have to be NFL best. But there has to be a minimum level of success

Are those stats for plays involving play action (PA)? That was the subject.

I agree average rush teams can be successful in PA. Doesn't have to be NFL best. But there has to be a minimum level of success
We'll just agree to disagree here, you keep wording the same question differently expecting a different anwser. My anwser is the relationship is almost random... The Redskins, who are 2nd to last in the league in both rushing attempts and Y/C are middle of the pack in PA effeciency and success rate...

Paywalled article - but posting for the charts.

I generally agree but he is ignoring the fact that the running is helping to take time off the clock. Tenn won the time of possession battle against NE and only had 4 minutes less TOP than the Ravens, despite running running 36 fewer plays.

Not sure if the article takes into account that they were facing two top defenses either.

In the Ravens game, it wasn't even Tennessee's intention until they got 2 quick scores in the 3rd quarter. Tannehill said as much. They had a 10 pass, 13 rush breakdown in the first half and I suspect that would have been the plan for the second half if not for the two scores.

We'll just agree to disagree here, you keep wording the same question differently expecting a different anwser. My anwser is the relationship is almost random... The Redskins, who are 2nd to last in the league in both rushing attempts and Y/C are middle of the pack in PA effeciency and success rate...

I recall an
article that supports this. Rushing success and rushing frequency doesn't seem to impact PA passing success.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 1579113619490.png
    1579113619490.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 3

OK, no more questions. Let's try stats. 2019. Bottom 5 teams in use of PA - least to most. I'll list the teams with 2 numbers. The first is team rush attempts. 2nd is team yard/carry.
CHI 21 27
MIA 32 32
NYG 19 29
NO 17 18
JAX 18 23

Teams with a worse run game use PA about the bottom third of the league. That is my point. Teams that can't run tend to use PA least. That abandonment of PA adversely affects the OCs option and increases the DCs ability to ignore PA. IMO, the abandonment of PA limits play-calling and hurts the overall O.

OK, no more questions. Let's try stats. 2019. Bottom 5 teams in use of PA - least to most. I'll list the teams with 2 numbers. The first is team rush attempts. 2nd is team yard/carry.
CHI 21 27
MIA 32 32
NYG 19 29
NO 17 18
JAX 18 23

Teams with a worse run game use PA about the bottom third of the league. That is my point. Teams that can't run tend to use PA least. That abandonment of PA adversely affects the OCs option and increases the DCs ability to ignore PA. IMO, the abandonment of PA limits play-calling and hurts the overall O.
At first glance, it doesnt seem that run/pass ratio is a factor either. Yes, those teams had fewer rush attempts, but the total plays were low as well. Would that be accurate?

Back
Top Bottom