Running and defense wins championships | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Running and defense wins championships

I'll pass. In today's NFL, I'll take a top flight qb with a high scoring offense over a running game and defense any day of the week.

not only that, it only takes one pick to fix the qb position compared to over a dozen to build a defense and running game. It makes no sense to give the latter priority. It’s not even a fair comparison to say you’d rather be good at 15 other positions rather than one. Let me know how many people would take any db, rb, olineman, de over mahomes. That’s a fair comparison cause they both only require one selection

Fair enough. But there are characteristics that are consistent (not 'always') with teams reaching the SB - top 10 D, top 10 OL, top 10 QB. Don't need all 3, but the more the better. Note top 10 passing and top 10 rush are NOT the top 3

Here's the top of the list for team passer rating this year: Saints, Ravens, Titans, Seahawks, Chiefs, Vikings, 49ers...

And this is not an anomaly so not sure where you got this reasoning....?

Here's the top of the list for team passer rating this year: Saints, Ravens, Titans, Seahawks, Chiefs, Vikings, 49ers...

looks like a primarily top list for running the ball too. But can’t have both it’s one or the other. Right?

I’m sorry with tannehill we can’t have both. Everyone else we can

looks like a primarily top list for running the ball too. But can’t have both it’s one or the other. Right?

I’m sorry with tannehill we can’t have both. Everyone else we can
Not really. 8 of the top 10 teams in passing effecientcy made the playoffs, only 3 of the top 10 in running effeciency made the playoffs... Ravens, Titans and 49ers...

Not really. 8 of the top 10 teams in passing effecientcy made the playoffs, only 3 of the top 10 in running effeciency made the playoffs... Ravens, Titans and 49ers...

How can you not have running efficiency but finish 4th in rushing yards like the Seahawks did yet also finish top what 4 in passing efficiency? Something doesn’t add up

How can you not have running efficiency but finish 4th in rushing yards like the Seahawks did yet also finish top what 4 in passing efficiency? Something doesn’t add up
Thats actually my mistake,both Seahawks(9th) and Houston(10th) made the top 10 also...

Winning with "running and defense" as your engine is not sustainable. Winning on 4th and 1 and winning the TO margin 3-0 is not sustainable.
Most NFL, especially playoff games do turn on just a few plays. Maybe a timely 4th and 1, or two that you don't get. How about a timely interception? How about a bomb for a TD unexpectedly? It happens and changes games, that's why you play them and don't just hand out a trophy when the final pre-season roster is announced. The running game and Defense has been a successful formula for a long time, and it works. Nowadays it is prone to be overcome by passing teams, especially those who get ahead early and force running teams out of their game plan. The 70's Phin's were masters at it, yet when needed, could throw the rock in comeback mode.

So, Baltimore had the top running game and the 4th rated defense in the NFL. They set a record for rushing during the regular season. So if running and defense win championships...then why is Baltimore not in the AFC championship?

Well, they got behind...it is simple as that. They did not have the QB or the structure to play from behind. It would have happened to Tennessee as well if Baltimore got a 14 point lead. These mid-level qbs begin to press and when that happens they make mistakes...
Maybe because their running back didn't play?

As @fansinceGWilson said, he went back 15 years, but the other thing is a QB can have a great passer rating, without an inordinate number of attempts. There is not a direct corellation, though QBs that are excellent passers do tend to pass more, obviously.

There’s another qb that plays here in a bit that doesn’t make good secondary reads from the pocket either. And for 3 quarters last week as a result his game and that offense was on ice.

who am I?
Josh Allen?

THIS year. I went back 15
As @fansinceGWilson said, he went back 15 years, but the other thing is a QB can have a great passer rating, without an inordinate number of attempts. There is not a direct corellation, though QBs that are excellent passers do tend to pass more, obviously.
My bad, I got confused in the actual argument, while you guys were talking about winning SBs, I somehow misinterpreted it for teams making the playoffs... As for the actual argument, I havent looked at the superbowl winners or teams making the superbowl by itself and I have no reason to believe @fansinceGWilson would make stuff up for the **** of it so nevermind my previous arguments in this particular conversation....

Back
Top Bottom