Russell Wilson May Be On The Trade Block? Would You Want Dolphins Trade For Him? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Russell Wilson May Be On The Trade Block? Would You Want Dolphins Trade For Him?

The same core of people who praised Ryan Tannehill for being below average his entire career will pass at the chance to have Russell Wilson on their team.

How does that correlation work, dude? Come on.

Not trying to defend myself. I never praised RT for not stepping up.

Also, how do you not try to praise/protect the starting QB of your team? You're just gonna go into every game with an my QB sucks attitude? Why?

I don't know about you but I'm Fitz's biggest fan now. He's a Dolphin. It's that simple.

Wilson is a very very good QB that is extremely dedicated to looking after his body a la Brady - It's all about diet plus good genetics, which he obviously has. Could easily get 8 - 10 good years out of a 30 year old Wilson.

For the record I am 40 years old and am the fittest & strongest I have ever been, very low bodyfat and just had a medical which said I was like a 25 year old. It's all because of my diet.

Last edited:
I think it'd make more sense for a team that is further along. Tennessee, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh (Roethlisberger is falling off) come to mind as places that have enough pieces in place to compete with a QB like Wilson - despite giving up so many premium assets.

I understand that line of thinking

Russell Wilson, after spending his entire career on a good team.... would come here for a few extra bucks... during a rebuild???

Why?

Russell Wilson, after spending his entire career on a good team.... would come here for a few extra bucks... during a rebuild???

Why?

The speed of our rebuild can vary from one season to multiple seasons. A lot of it depends on getting certain factors right. For instance, the quarterback position. Everybody loves to say that football is a team game, and I have in the past expressed a belief that you can win with a good quarterback with the right supporting cast (eg Flacco, Eli etc). However, if you land an elite quarterback, or a borderline elite, that can make a huge difference. A quarterback like that can carry a team to a better record. Imagine where the Packers would be drafting this year had Rodgers been out after week one. I dare say they’d be picking top three. But with Rodgers they won enough games to pick twelfth. The Seahawk’s had a transitional season, take Wilson out of their line up and they would likely have been picking in the top ten, maybe even top five depending on quarterback play. So although football is a team game, having a top quarterback can be the difference between being competitive and picking top three.

To bring this back to us. Adding a quarterback like Wilson would boost our chances of winning games. Yes we’d lose picks, but if we hit on our remaining picks, and we manage to replicate the Patriot way of getting production out of some unheralded players, we can put a competitive team out there in 2019. Factor in our cap space and another draft in 2020, and we can further strengthen our chances of competing. It’s all about making the right moves. If we draft well and use free agency, we can compete with a quarterback like Wilson fairly quickly. His acquisition would speed up our process. Now you might argue we’d be falling back into old habits, but maybe the new look front office and coaching staff can be successful where the old regime failed?

Who knows...

You are right that we are rebuilding, but even if we don’t get Wilson, I very much doubt we are aiming to replicate the Browns and Jaguars multiple years of top picks. I suspect we’ll try and be competitive in 2019 but likely end up with a top ten (perhaps five) pick in the 2020 draft. At that point we’ll try and get our quarterback and then hope to not be picking that high again in 2021. I don’t see multiple tanks or bad seasons. I think the aim will be to rebuild while being competitive and trying to replicate the Patriot way. They find talent throughout the draft, undrafted free agency, trades, and finding players off the scrap heap. I doubt we’ll be as successful as they are in that regard since no team has really managed to replicate them, but if we can draft well, while finding good UFDAs and FAs, and making sensible trades, we can rebuild without multiple years of misery and tanking.

Anyway, I very much doubt the Seahawk’s will send Wilson packing. He’s one of the main reasons they can still be considered a contender (albeit an outside one). Take him away and they are in big trouble, unless of course they happen upon a quarterback in the draft that can do what Wilson has done for cheaper, but as far as I can tell there’s no Wilson in this year’s class.

The question ultimately becomes are the fins capable of putting a halfway decent team around Wilson in the next 5-6 years (being realistic ... Brady is an anomaly) after losing all those resources. Based on the past quarter century, I say not a chance in hell. No way is Grier -- having 20 years to judge him on -- capable of pulling something like that off without those firsts.

That's a tough conclusion to come to because Wilson is EXACTLY the kind of QB a team like the dolphins -- who can't get the oline right to save their lives -- needs because the Seattle oline has been just as bad and look at what Wilson has done there. He doesn't need a ton of talent on offense ... just enough for him to get the job done ... but the D is a dead stick at the moment. Can't go trotting Wilson out there with virtually nothing around him in every phase of the game and expect that to go well.

A tough pass for me because Wilson is elite in every sense of the word. 2 firsts is a no brainer and 3 is a serious conversation but 4? ... with a $30 mil annual contract to boot? ... if I thought the fins were at all capable of making it work I'd say go for it but I just don't think there is enough saavy in that building to make sense of this kind of scenario.

Not to mention it's never gonna happen because Carroll hasn't entered into late stage dementia. Come on ...

No clue what your personal subjective definition of "elite" is -- but since you believe Wilson IS

then help me/us understand your rating criteria by ranking the following QBs in descending order.

Beyond that -- please ID the dudes (I suppose only the top 2 or 3) you truly believe are "elite."

Mahomes - too early so not yet but probably will be
Rodgers - elite
Drew Brees - elite
Andrew Luck - on his way
Matt Ryan - not elite but very good
Rivers - not elite but very good
Brady - goat
Roethlisberger - not elite but very good
Baker Mayfield - not elite but could be
Nick Foles - not elite but clutch
Matthew Stafford - not elite
Jared Goff - not elite
Carson Wentz - not elite
Russell Wilson - elite
Cam Newton - not elite but very good
Dak Prescott - why is his name on here?

That was fun.

Russell had a 100 passer rating his rookie year. NFL Record.
Threw for 26 touchdowns his rookie year (ran for another 4).
He averages 28 touchdowns through the air and another 2 rushing.
Most wins by a QB in his first 2,3,4,5,6,7 years etc...

Top it all off with a Superbowl win in what should've been a back to back happening.

IDK man I feel the guy doesn't get the props he deserves because he has solid defenses and running game early in his career meanwhile Bellichek has been giving Tom Brady a top 5/10 defense every year the guy has won a SB and made running games out of thin air.

Trade for him no, as a free agent I would get him no matter what.

I really like Wilson, think he is an great QB however I am not interested in trading more than one first rounder for him at this stage of his career baring in mind the beatings he has taken behind a line that's made ours look competent and the fact that unlike the Brady's, Big Ben's and Brees's, his game is more dependent of youthful athletic ability to extend plays.

I really like Wilson, think he is an great QB however I am not interested in trading more than one first rounder for him at this stage of his career baring in mind the beatings he has taken behind a line that's made ours look competent and the fact that unlike the Brady's, Big Ben's and Brees's, his game is more dependent of youthful athletic ability to extend plays.

That's fair.

I also doubt Seattle let's him walk.

That Seattle line was never all it was cracked out to be.

Russell Wilson is not over rated. The problem is that EVEN REMOTELY ADEQUATE STARTERS are now overpriced. You pay a guy $30mm in the NFL and you cant field a team around him.

Teams are all going to go in on the rookie qb movement because of this. Its either that you overpay for a proven qb or get a young phenom who you hope can win you a championship.

Russel wilson was one of the first young qbs that got GMs to start thinking this way.

I am of the opinion that this is the real problem. It's why the draft pick haul for Wilson isn't that far out of the realm of possibility.

I also don’t think it would actually take four 1st rounders to get Russ

It’s a rare situation where a player would actually collect four first rounders

But at the end of the day, I still think he’s worth that.

I’ve heard some say give 4 #1 picks and give him 30 million a year. I think that would be idiotic.

:nah:

Stop listening to "some" for rumors.

"Some" say could be a drunk whino.

"Some" say could live 20 feet from a cell tower.

Or even worse that "Some" could be just ........"Some guy"

We arent going to trade for wilson. This draft will be a trench building draft and that is how it should be.

Wilson is a very good qb who i would love to have. In fact i made a thread years ago about drafting him instead of tannehill. That said, the ship has sailed there and our timeline makes zero sense for a Wilson trade.

Back
Top Bottom