Ryan Fitzpatrick To Miami | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Fitzpatrick To Miami

I have a feeling it’s QB this draft and the first game of the year will be Ryan vs draftee in camp.

How does a 37 year old career back-up help this team rebuild other than being what he is- a career back-up and a contingency plan?

He’s a great addition if he holds a clipboard and mentors a kid. Other than that, he’s a waste of time and snaps IMO.

I don’t think the FO is banking on any “If's” next year. The odds are that one of the top 3 QBs will fall to 13. And he’ll either sit or beat out Ryan in camp.

First move by the FO so far that is disappointing to me and by the posts on this thread, it seems that I’m in the minority.

Now, that I like. It’s nice to see the positivity on this very important decision.

I’m not with it unless it’s a QB or a trade down.

At least Sundays will be all the more exciting. Which QB will we get, the looks like a HOF QB or the please pick up a water bottle and make yourself useful QB?

Last edited:
Not a fan of this move.

Any one that knows Fitz knows he goes off a few games each year and he may actually be able to get us 5 or 6 wins which is the last thing we need.

The team may be planning on packaging a number of picks to move up next year but we've got so many holes I'd rather just let us suck, pick a QB top 2-3 and then use remaining picks to build the team.

So this confirms Miami will not win, but will be entertaining. The second best thing.
Let's ride out the rebuild fellas.

You must remember this is a new coaching staff...they need to develop their play-calling and game situation skills. We need at least competency out there at QB to do that.

This is the key right here. Tanking is fantasy land stuff. Miami is playing this right, if the wheels fall off injury wise we’ll get a top pick. if they don’t we should have the ammo to move up a little. Fitz is fine for the “right now” roll. That’s all Miami wants guys, that’s why Bridgewater didn’t want to come here. The Dolphins will draft a QB, probably next year. If Rudock or Falk can’t operate they offense and are completely incompetent nobody gets anything offensively out of 2019. To fans that’s fine but it isn’t to coaching staffs. These guys want to get their systems in place and see progressive/success. Forget tanking it’s make believe.

God no, this is basically a 1 year deal I would assume. My best guess is we use this draft to build the lines and get our QB in 2020. That is probably why we got the 4th in 2020 and not 2019.

Both approaches make sense to me.
I have no idea what the front office is thinking. Maybe that's a good thing because no one else does either!

Laugh if you like, but the comparisons are rather eery:

1. Our front office and owner have made substantial noises and our other personnel moves suggest that we will be tanking … for the first time since that season.
2. We are replacing a QB, for the first time since that season.
3. Both Matt Moore and Ryan Fitzpatrick are gunslinger type QB's … and the last gunslinger QB we had was, in fact, Matt Moore.
4. Matt Moore is the gunslinger QB who ruined the Suck for Luck sweepstakes, and the Head Coach got fired (Tony Sparano) and the Interim Head Coach got fired (Todd Bowles), and we missed the playoffs, endured a laughing-stock season, lost out on our chance to get a top QB prospect, and got locked into a cycle of mediocrity for many years.
5. This is the first time we've looked to install a new QB for the future since that Matt Moore led season resulted in entrusting the franchise Reins to Ryan Tannehill instead of Andrew Luck.
6. Tony Sparano refused to tank and it failed miserably leading to nobody benefitting from the late win-streak. If we repeat that this year it will not be a success in any way.
7. Both Matt Moore and Ryan Fitzpatrick have proven that they can take a poorly talented team and squeeze mediocrity out of them.

No offense bro, but that's actually a lot of comparison.
You are missing my point bro. Making comparisons with completely different variable is just lazy. Sure the situations might be similar, but the variable are not close due to the aspect of all humans are different. Comparing them is just silly and as I mentioned lazy. And I'm not saying RF is some savior, as he is not. But this team does need a QB who has experience and can be the bridge to the future. The crap they have on the roster don't fit that bill.

I had the same idea as at least another poster. Why get a FA qb if we wanted to still put a team together that doesnr look 100% like we are trying to tank. Get a guy like Bortles who sucks and was cut. This will pretty much negate anything wake would get us comp wise. U thought our focus was gonna be load up for 2020 draft . But damn fotzmagic is gonna make this site interesting for the people that not themselves over the 5 td 400 yard game he is gonna throw for week 1 lol

Am I the only one that noticed we signed Fitzmagic on St Patrick’s Day?

Clearly this is some sort of movie where Grier is 10 pints in and a fellow patron at the bar says, “Nothing short of the luck of the Irish will make the Dolphins good this century.” Cue Grier’s eyes going wide and him running out of the bar, checkbook in hand.

:funny: I’d watch that movie. I imagine it’s a comedy. Or... or...a tragedy.

Happy get plastered day, everyone. No better time to drink than the present. Seriously. Drink. Now. Stop reading.

NEWSFLASH: WHEN IS THE LAST TIME A TEAM TANKED A SEASON AND WON ANYTHING? OH, I FORGOT, NEVER. CARRY ON.

You are missing my point bro. Making comparisons with completely different variable is just lazy. Sure the situations might be similar, but the variable are not close due to the aspect of all humans are different. Comparing them is just silly and as I mentioned lazy. And I'm not saying RF is some savior, as he is not. But this team does need a QB who has experience and can be the bridge to the future. The crap they have on the roster don't fit that bill.
I guess I just see if categorically differently than you do. This is about building a Miami Dolphins team that can compete for Super Bowls … not eeking out 6 to 8 wins for one more meaningless season. The variables are the players and the coaches. THAT'S what we're trying to change.

With the rule changes in the last 20 years teams need a top QB. It's such a vital cog and scouting has gotten a lot better in that regard in the last 5 years. You want to gamble that we can find one without a top 5 pick, or are willing to trade massive draft capital to move up and get one and have our hands tied trying to build a team around him. I'm suggesting we build an OL and DL this year and let the tank happen, get good draft picks, use the 1st to find that cornerstone QB around which to build, and use those other high draft picks to help improve the situation. Bot are valid points of view … but it's clear we're adding a guy who is remarkably like Matt Moore, a veteran gunslinger with a talent to not-tank but no real ability to contend for Super Bowls.

Laugh if you like, but the comparisons are rather eery:

1. Our front office and owner have made substantial noises and our other personnel moves suggest that we will be tanking … for the first time since that season.
2. We are replacing a QB, for the first time since that season.
3. Both Matt Moore and Ryan Fitzpatrick are gunslinger type QB's … and the last gunslinger QB we had was, in fact, Matt Moore.
4. Matt Moore is the gunslinger QB who ruined the Suck for Luck sweepstakes, and the Head Coach got fired (Tony Sparano) and the Interim Head Coach got fired (Todd Bowles), and we missed the playoffs, endured a laughing-stock season, lost out on our chance to get a top QB prospect, and got locked into a cycle of mediocrity for many years.
5. This is the first time we've looked to install a new QB for the future since that Matt Moore led season resulted in entrusting the franchise Reins to Ryan Tannehill instead of Andrew Luck.
6. Tony Sparano refused to tank and it failed miserably leading to nobody benefitting from the late win-streak. If we repeat that this year it will not be a success in any way.
7. Both Matt Moore and Ryan Fitzpatrick have proven that they can take a poorly talented team and squeeze mediocrity out of them.

No offense bro, but that's actually a lot of comparison.

Look I really respect your posts but I am so sick of hearing about “suck for luck.” We weren’t going 0-16 in 2011 no matter who the QB was. I can’t believe anyone was excited about that at 0-7 with 9 more games to go. 0-13, 0-14 ok maybe but 0-7? Get real! Furthermore what have the Colts really won since they drafted Luck? They’ve had some success but are already on their second regime/rebuild. If they win the SB say in 2020 or 2021 are we seriously going to say it’s because they “sucked for luck” in 2011? Seems like Reich May have a lot to do with it if it happens now but are we going to fully credit Luck? Who’s to say they couldn’t have drafted another capable QB in the 10 years prior to Luck being able to win one? I like the player a lot but it was a pipe dream, we weren’t that bad on 2011 just started out on the wrong end of some close games.

I'd have even preferred Geno Smith to hm. Just don't get it!!!!
Geno Smith? **** no!

Another reason I don't like this. This is pretty much a throw away season where you can see what you have with the young players. We have two young QB's and we could see if they could be worth keeping but now he's going to take all those games/spans away from them. What was the FO thinking here??
We're also going to lose a potential comp pick and last but not least, we might now lose a top 3 pick in 2020.
Are they looking for yet another 8-8 season?
If those two young QBs are better than Fitzpatrick, they will play and Fitzpatrick will ride the bench. If they’re worse, who cares about them?

I'm sorry, and I'm not saying I love RF, but the reaction on this board makes me think so many people are a bunch of pussies. You don't go into a season with some crap no experienced QB to "tank" a season. It may work in the NBA (Rarely) but the NFL is completely different. No player wants to throw a season away due to the short lifespan. Also, put crap out on the field, other players can get hurt due to incompetence. Is Ryan F. the answer to a SB? Of course not, but he may be the answer to be somewhat respectable week in and week out. I know the losers who want to "pray" for some freaking savior in 2020, but I'd rather see a team willing to fight every week regardless of the outcome. How many top 5 or top 10 picks have bombed? More than have succeeded. Play to lose and you will always be a loser.
Spot on. I like the signing and I’m ok if they draft a QB this year. I’d be ok with trading for Rosen as well. I hate this loser attitude of being bad for a year because most probably you will not become great after that year.

It's just thinking about the worst case scenario with Fitzpatrick under center, meaning more wins then originally thought.
Worst case is more wins? Lol. What a loser attitude.

He's back, thought you would have changed your user name to Titansfaninbuffalo !
It’s ok, you don’t have to understand everything. At least some things never change.

Someone mentioned Cleo Lemmon earlier. A look at our QBs down the stretch/after Dan Marino......

1 Damon Huard
2 Ray Lucas
3 Jay Fiedler
4 Brian Griese
5 A.J. Feeley
6 Sage Rosenfels
7 Gus Frerotte
8 Daunte Culpepper
9 Joey Harrington
10 Cleo Lemmon
11 Trent Green
12 John Beck
13 Josh McCown
14 Chad Pennington
15 Chad Henne
16 Pat White
17 Tyler Thigpen
18 Matt Moore
19 David Garrard
20 Ryan Tannehill
21 Jay Cutler
22 Brock Osweiler
23 David Fales
24 Luke Falk

Good Lord, how are we all still even here having watched this for 20 years? The organization owes the fan base some serious refunds. I'm OK with Fitz for a season, though there's no doubt we'll be adding him to this list at 25 shortly down the road. I just hope we can find "the guy" now. No, he doesn't have to be Dan Marino - I mean, how many of them are, but is it too much to ask to have him be Matt Ryan or something close to a top 10 NFL QB? I think we're due!

Back
Top Bottom