Ryan Tannehill Is Optimistic For The Future | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill Is Optimistic For The Future

The problem is you have to go back 4 years for when he was healthy. So that is not a valid question. Anyone making a decision without including health as a factor is not smart.

...because we're currently in 2020?

$35 million in one season to two QBs that aren't the future? :bobdole:
Adam will be on hot seat next yr. he will not draft qb. he will roll w thill17 because he feel like thill1`7 know his offense. how this work out??? he will be fired in 2020

Since you decided to be condescending about it:

1) You're right about the $5 million in 2020. That activates if they make it a post 6/1 cut. My error. So it's 13 and change instead of 19 and change between the two years.

BUT

2) We're crossing over terms between guaranteed money going into Tannehill's pocket vs. guaranteed money against the Dolphins cap. I don't care about the former. And as much as you think it's great that we're spending Ross's money, it's sweet that you want to play financial consultant for him. There are people suggesting that the Fins can cut Tannehill next year and have it mean absolutely nothing toward the cap. And that just ain't so.

1. My intent wasn’t to be condescending about it, but u were so dismissive about a potential argument for cutting Tannehill that I wasn’t sure if you would understand it being put any other way.

Also you are still incorrect about the cap hit. There is no $5 million that activates. If you June 1st him, you are hit with a cap hit of $7,861,666 (last signing bonus part of original extension and second to last signing bonus from the restructure) in 2019 and then a cap hit of $5,561,668 (last signing bonus part of the restructure). That totals $13,423,334 . . . .which is the full cap hit if you don’t june 1st him and just release him out right.

2. Most people here understands there is a $13.5 million dollar dead cap hit if you cut him . . . You are making it seem like its more than that and makes no sense to cut him because of that.

3. FYI, if you play him in 2019 and cut him in 2020 . . . .You will be using more than $32 million in cap for that 1 year. If you cut him, its less than $13.5 million. So while people keep talking about $13.5 million . . . .really its about $19 million in cap that you are saving because you don’t have any more liability in 2020 if you cut him in 2019.

So you pay basically the same amount of money and still have to find another QB to run your offense for 2 years? I'm also seeing $13.4 million for 2019 and another $5.5 million for 2020

Yes, but at least you'll have one that turns up. If you cut before June 1 the full cap penalty is taken 2019, so I believe 13 million. Post June 1 cut it's staggered over 2019 and 2020, I believe 7million and the 5.5 million you talk of.

There is absolutely no way the coaches or FO could go into next season planning on Tannehill being the number one. But again I said that this past season and was wrong, but really I was proven right.

1. My intent wasn’t to be condescending about it, but u were so dismissive about a potential argument for cutting Tannehill that I wasn’t sure if you would understand it being put any other way.

Also you are still incorrect about the cap hit. There is no $5 million that activates. If you June 1st him, you are hit with a cap hit of $7,861,666 (last signing bonus part of original extension and second to last signing bonus from the restructure) in 2019 and then a cap hit of $5,561,668 (last signing bonus part of the restructure). That totals $13,423,334 . . . .which is the full cap hit if you don’t june 1st him and just release him out right.

2. Most people here understands there is a $13.5 million dollar dead cap hit if you cut him . . . You are making it seem like its more than that and makes no sense to cut him because of that.

3. FYI, if you play him in 2019 and cut him in 2020 . . . .You will be using more than $32 million in cap for that 1 year. If you cut him, its less than $13.5 million. So while people keep talking about $13.5 million . . . .really its about $19 million in cap that you are saving because you don’t have any more liability in 2020 if you cut him in 2019.

This is why I am all for writing off 2019, taking all the cap hit in that year so come 2020, we are now free of the mistakes in Suh's and Tannehill's contracts. It doesn't make any sense saying well just let Tannehill hang around for 2019 and mentor the new guy. Not sure he's a great mentor, what's he gonna teach him ? Pocket presence ? And the big reason, he's not reliable enough to be the starter, you've committed the cash, so you would be looking at 3 or more QBs again on the roster with Brock Osweiller standard of vet back up again because that's all you can afford.

If you designate him as a post June 1 cut, the $5 million of his 2019 salary gets moved to 2020. That's he activation I was referring to. So it's not 13 and change plus 5 and change. it's 7 and change plus 5 and change.

it IS more than that. Because (and this is the point that I and other keep going back to) even though you're essentially saving $13.5 million....now you don't have ANY QB. You have to get someone to replace him. Who are the Fins going to get for that? The next rendition of Jay Cutler?

it IS more than that. Because (and this is the point that I and other keep going back to) even though you're essentially saving $13.5 million....now you don't have ANY QB. You have to get someone to replace him. Who are the Fins going to get for that? The next rendition of Jay Cutler?

Again with the same tired argument, that makes out Tannehill as anything other than average at best when he can make the field and ignores the fact he has missed 25 of the last 30 games.

Oh and BTW you are still misleading folks, because if you don't cut Tannehill you are paying him more than $13 million next year.

Their answer is to retain Brock, move up Fales/Fall to compete to be his backup, and drop whoever doesn’t get the back up job to the practice squad.

I can’t take a planned full season of Osweiler. For the first time in all my years of fandom I will not have anything to look forward to in the coming year of football.

Their answer is to retain Brock, move up Fales/Fall to compete to be his backup, and drop whoever doesn’t get the back up job to the practice squad.

I can’t take a planned full season of Osweiler. For the first time in all my years of fandom I will not have anything to look forward to in the coming year of football.
if this is case I would rather have thill17 for one more yr. that would be best for team.

Stop it. No it's not. The answer is to cut the injury prone, less than spectactular "superstar" we have masquading as a franchise QB, and with the money you save bring someone else in that's a little bit better than Brock fing Osweiller, still plenty of scope to do that.

At the end of the day the absolute best course of action they should do is think long term, write off 2019. Cut Tannehill, Jones and whoever else is too old or not good enough to help you long term, make sure all those penalties are consumed in 2019. Bring in anyone, but not Brock, because the fan base like yourself is too anti for that ever to be a good idea, even in this scenario. Have a high draft pick in 2020 because quite frankly your team is not good enough and start building around the new QB you've drafted. They'll never take this approach though because they are too short sighted.

If you designate him as a post June 1 cut, the $5 million of his 2019 salary gets moved to 2020. That's he activation I was referring to. So it's not 13 and change plus 5 and change. it's 7 and change plus 5 and change.

There is no salary in 2019 if you cut him.

The dead cap is nothing but money he has already received that has not counted towards the cap. That is the 13,423,334. And yes the split would be the 7.8m in 2019 and the 5.6m in 2020.

That is up for debate. I contend we don’t have a QB with Tannehill but hey its only 24 games missed (and counting) over the past 3 years . . . Keep dreaming that he is gonna revert to his already “teasing” form of the past.

The only way I even entertain the idea of retaining Tannhill is if he takes a significant paycut in 2019. . . .I mean $10 million max on the base.

Truth be told, I think he is done and we are wasting our breath but we’ll see. We know how stubborn Gase is about his Tanny.

Stop it. No it's not. The answer is to cut the injury prone, less than spectactular "superstar" we have masquading as a franchise QB, and with the money you save bring someone else in that's a little bit better than Brock fing Osweiller, still plenty of scope to do that.

At the end of the day the absolute best course of action they should do is think long term, write off 2019. Cut Tannehill, Jones and whoever else is too old or not good enough to help you long term, make sure all those penalties are consumed in 2019. Bring in anyone, but not Brock, because the fan base like yourself is too anti for that ever to be a good idea, even in this scenario. Have a high draft pick in 2020 because quite frankly your team is not good enough and start building around the new QB you've drafted. They'll never take this approach though because they are too short sighted.

While that may not be your approach, I didn’t pull that out of my ass. There’s been plenty of posters on this forum who have said they were totally fine with riding the Brocketship in 2019 because there isn’t any falloff in performance.

For the love of god I hope we hit on someone in the draft but there’s a 75% chance it won’t be 2019. I’d lay money on that much. And if we take someone high-mid in 2019, no matter the circumstances of how that year unfolds, we will not be taking anyone in 2020.

Then we can all meltdown trying to figure out when and where to make the next leap ultimately comintunuing to free fall.

There is literally nothing to be happy about as a Dolphin fan now, or even probably within the next 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom