Ryan Tannehill | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill

Yup Steve Wyche spewing out those backhanded compliments. At the end of the year Tanny is going to personally hand out huge heaping plates of crow to those who perpetrated his negative stigma.

If the season plays out like we hope it does, I don't think he'll have to. I think Adam Gase will do it for him.

That high 5 put the biggest smile on my face in the past 7 years watching the Fins!

I often placed the majority of blame on Tannehill when we lost. We are winning now--so Tannehill gets most of the credit!

Do I believe Tannehill is the right QB to lead Miami for the next 7+ years? He's given me hope recently by going 10-1 over the last 11 games. But it is hard to forget 30-39 in the previous 69 and a .500 record over the past 7 years.

Had a quick look on nfl.com there and he's 3rd in yards per attempt, 3rd in TD %, 4th in QB rating and 5th in completion %.

Pretty sure most would've been happy with top ten before the season started.
Aside from YPG where granted there was much room for improvement.. during his 2016 7-1 run he was between the elite 8 and top 10 in most other metrics

But hypothetically even if he wasn't then or now, this trumps all that:
tanne scoreboard 10 1.jpg

That's a .909 winning percentage during this "streak"

That high 5 put the biggest smile on my face in the past 7 years watching the Fins!

I often placed the majority of blame on Tannehill when we lost. We are winning now--so Tannehill gets most of the credit!

Do I believe Tannehill is the right QB to lead Miami for the next 7+ years? He's given me hope recently by going 10-1 over the last 11 games. But it is hard to forget 30-39 in the previous 69 and a .500 record over the past 7 years.

I'd say 11-5 in his sixteen games with Gase is a fairer reflection on where Tannehill is as a QB than judging him on the years he'd been Philbined.

Aside from YPG where granted there was much room for improvement.. during his 2016 7-1 run he was between the elite 8 and top 10 in most other metrics

But hypothetically even if he wasn't then or now, this trumps all that:
View attachment 13811

That's a .909 winning percentage during this "streak"

Given we got screwed over our first two home games with the lightning delays and the Raiders hogging the ball limiting our play count., I believe the attempts and yards per game will come once the offense starts getting the up tempo going clocking up 60 to 70 plays per game.

I'd say 11-5 in his sixteen games with Gase is a fairer reflection on where Tannehill is as a QB than judging him on the years he'd been Philbined.

People really underestimated what a football moron Philbin was (and how much he was holding the team back) until it was painfully obvious in YEAR 4 that he wasn't cutting it. I gave up on him when he called that timeout which most likely cost us the game at GB with time running off the clock, that was one of the most brutal mistakes I have seen ANY football coach make in my entire life. Let's give A-Rod and McCarthy time to draw up a play because their back is up against the wall and I'm starting to feel queasy again lmao!

...,,Do I believe Tannehill is the right QB to lead Miami for the next 7+ years? He's given me hope recently by going 10-1 over the last 11 games. But it is hard to forget 30-39 in the previous 69 and a .500 record over the past 7 years.

Even though THill is better than ever, that record wouldnt be much different even if you could transport 2018 Tannehill back to 2012.

Im surprised so many STILL dont understand that...,

People (mostly national media) always making snap judgements based of obscure or misleading stats. They try to make an uninformed evaluation of Tannehill based on the W/L record of Joe Philbin.

If you wanted to see what kind of a QB he was turning into (AFTER the miscarriage of coaching), you had to look no further than the progress/improvement made once the Team learned the new Gase system. Arrow was pointing up but no one wanted to pay attention. Everyone thinks a few talented players are more important than team work, scheme fits and chemistry. They are not.

I'm compiling some numbers on the Dolphins offense again today, and here are a couple of fun ones for you:

Ryan Tannehill is currently third in the NFL in air yards per attempt, with 8.2. That means that our 'dink and dunk' offense actually averages longer passes than all but two other NFL teams.

Ryan Tannehill's Yards Per Attempt is 9.3, also good for third in the NFL. I was told for years that Ryan Tannehill's relatively low yards per attempt under some other coaches was indicative of his ceiling as a quarterback, and not at all related to supporting cast or offensive scheme. Under Gase, his YPA is 7.9, which is a full yard better than his career average under Philbin (Sherman/Lazor). It also puts him right up in the top 5 for NFL for quarterbacks with 16+ starts in that timeframe.

Folks, coaching matters.

I am not sure the 11-5 record is a good indicator of how Tannehill will perform to close out the season. Between 2013 and 2015, Philbin's teams were in playoff contention but crumbled at the end. I recall Tannehill playing well at times, but having his worst games at the end of the season.

Hopefully you are right. The more I think about it, getting Philbined explains a lot;-)

Bear in mind that the team started 1-4 in 2016 and were very much behind the eight ball with little margin for error came up trumps winning close game after close game. Gase as a head coach has been more often than not clutch in tight games.

Back
Top Bottom