Ryan Tannehill | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill

Philbin did a few things well as HC and a lot of things poorly.

Discounting all of the behind the scenes scuttlebutt, I give Philbin credit for having a team that was rarely penalized and that didn't turn the ball over a whole lot. I think that, in general, Philbin's clock management was usually pretty good. We all rip him for the "Kodaking" thing against the Packers, but typically Philbin was good with timeouts and managing the game clock. It was also pretty well documented that Philbin made good use of practice time and had solid organizational skills in that department. I also credit Philbin for signing off on a few good personnel decisions when he first arrived, such as immediately cutting Chad Johnson when it was clear that Chad Johnson is a ****ing moron who would cause nothing but problems, and for his willingness to move on from Vontae Davis when he was showing up for practice drunk or hung over.

But I gotta blame him for making some terrible staff hires, clamping down hard on player leadership -- apparently feeling instead that it was the job of the staff to provide leadership -- and overseeing an extremely dysfunctional football team. His feud with Jeff Ireland became a feud with Mike Tannenbaum. His offensive coaching staff was essentially put together by Mike Sherman, a guy who had just been fired at Texas A&M for being a subpar head coach with a lousy staff. I also think that his complete inability to coach or develop offensive linemen, even as that unit was an absolute black hole disaster for the team, was a huge black mark on his tenure here.

Ultimately I think Joe Philbin is back where he belongs. To make a military analogy, Joe Philbin is a good adjutant and a horrible commander.

I'm not even going to go into the stories that leaked out about Philbin during or after his tenure. I don't even think you need to bring those into the equation when examining Joe's failings as a head coach. He just didn't do a good job, and I don't even need to hear anecdotes about some insane thing he told Ryan Tannehill in front of the team to form that opinion.
.we are winning because of team play and good coaching so far...Adam is getting most out of his team so fur.. we need won at leased 6 to 8 more game to get in playoff,, great start now we need finish. so far adam is getting more out of his player than Joe got out of his team.

I think aqua ‘n orange is an excellent, new edition to this forum. His insight is unparalleled and I think he would be a great nomination for “best new poster”. I only wish he was posting long before he actually joined. If I was using a “hoops” term, I would say his posts are a slam dunk

What was your former username? It’s killing me trying to remember it. You always had tremendous insights each game.
Considering he's a staunch Tannehill supporter my guess would be either shouright or WVdolfan

as a big time tanny homer i am happy af

I think aqua ‘n orange is an excellent, new edition to this forum. His insight is unparalleled and I think he would be a great nomination for “best new poster”. I only wish he was posting long before he actually joined. If I was using a “hoops” term, I would say his posts are a slam dunk

Agreed though he really should up the ante and do a post match thread like Haydens, JDW or even Hoop's scoops.

We saw glimpses of this level of play throughout his career. We just finally have a coach that knows how to work with a QB, call a game and play design. We suffered for years under the Sherman's, Philbin's, and Lazor's (but Lazor was so good in a press conference....) that this franchise stole years from Tannehill's career. Last year when Gase said he had Tannehill playing like a beast before he hurt his knee again...I'm going to say that may be true, because, even after having 600 plus days on no football, Tannehill is shitting all over these teams.

We saw glimpses of this level of play throughout his career.

In the words of Todd McShay (and many others, I'm sure) - "Sometimes you have to project is this league."

You simply had to look at what Tannehill was accomplishing in spite of the **** show he was surrounded by (2 to 1 TDs to INTs. respectable passer rating). Add the unflappability, incredible work ethic, team first attitude, steady improvements, and the raw arm talent and the signs were all there.

I have to say that McShay nailed it in his descriptions of Tannehill pre-draft. In particular, he noted that Tannehill's accuracy when his mechanics were right was top notch. He also liked his feel in the pocket and raved about his intangibles. His knock was that he was not a great decision maker because he was inexperienced (thanks Sherman). He predicted a top 10 or top 12 QB in 5 years. As we know, he was 12th in passer rating in year 5.

We just finally have a coach that knows how to work with a QB, call a game and play design. We suffered for years under the Sherman's, Philbin's, and Lazor's (but Lazor was so good in a press conference....) that this franchise stole years from Tannehill's career. Last year when Gase said he had Tannehill playing like a beast before he hurt his knee again...I'm going to say that may be true, because, even after having 600 plus days on no football, Tannehill is ****ting all over these teams.

Lazor was a decent QB coach acting as an OC. Philbin was an excellent hall monitor acting as a HC. Sherman was a terrific retiree acting as an OC.

It was tough for me to listen to the telecast of the game because it was clear that Ariens was pulling for the Raiders. Trent Green add little and talks while the play is happening. Once the ball is snapped shut up. I'm really sorry we disappointed Ariens by winning the game. SPEED KILLS and we have a ton of it on our roster.

While I have always (well, maybe except for a few games in 2013 or 14) been a supporter of Tannehill, I think it's a little premature to be gloating after 3 games. I still think he will have a very good season as he has shown continued improvement since 2012 despite having a coach that did not believe in him.

Here's a few stats for ya....

Ryan Tannehill just completed his 13th, 4th quarter comeback. He's tied with Steve Young, Roger Staubach, Andrew Luck and Derek Carr and ahead of players like Aaron Rodgers, Kirk Cousins, Matt Schaub, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jay Fiedler, Stan Humphries, Sam Bradford, Marcus Mariota & Chad Pennington.

The Miami Dolphins have more wins than the rest of the AFC East COMBINED.

While I have always (well, maybe except for a few games in 2013 or 14) been a supporter of Tannehill, I think it's a little premature to be gloating after 3 games. I still think he will have a very good season as he has shown continued improvement since 2012 despite having a coach that did not believe in him.

Here's a few stats for ya....

Ryan Tannehill just completed his 13th, 4th quarter comeback. He's tied with Steve Young, Roger Staubach, Andrew Luck and Derek Carr and ahead of players like Aaron Rodgers, Kirk Cousins, Matt Schaub, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jay Fiedler, Stan Humphries, Sam Bradford, Marcus Mariota & Chad Pennington.

The Miami Dolphins have more wins than the rest of the AFC East COMBINED.
Hmm ... I'm pretty sure Miami have 3, and the others have 1 each ... 1+1+1 = 3.

Back
Top Bottom