Saban and the Chiefs | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban and the Chiefs

HVACservice said:
Release Derrius Thompson, sign our draft picks....and start camp.

Its that simple.

And then we need to find and sign a #3 WR. I doubt Saban's just going to dump Thompson - he probably would have already.

I was not planning on turning Surtain into Walter Jones and franchising him every year. You simply "franchise" him so he cant hit the open FA market. Try to get a late round pick from a team so that they do not have to go into a "bidding war" against another team. Or we could let him leave as a free agent and recieve a compensatory pick. Depending upon what we do in FA, that Compensatory pick could end up as high as a 3rd round pick.(ala KC)

And then Surtain decides to sign the tender immediately. It gives him $18 million these two years and that's close to what he'll make if he goes on the market today. This is what Woodson did to Oakland and it really hindered their cap.

We have to first guarantee we have roughly $10 million under the cap. We had to release guys this year just to get under. We'll have to do the same next year but it won't be quite so bad. Then, if he does sign the tender, we are seriously hindered in free agency. And, trading a player who has signed a tender is not so easy. This is the reason teams do bonuses, so that in the 1st few years, where they hope the player is productive, they aren't getting big cap hits.

Again, it's not so simple as you try to make it sound. The NFL with its cap issues never is. Saban and the Dolphins fully realize this.

Da 'Fins said:
And then we need to find and sign a #3 WR. I doubt Saban's just going to dump Thompson - he probably would have already.

And then Surtain decides to sign the tender immediately. It gives him $18 million these two years and that's close to what he'll make if he goes on the market today. This is what Woodson did to Oakland and it really hindered their cap.

We have to first guarantee we have roughly $10 million under the cap. We had to release guys this year just to get under. We'll have to do the same next year but it won't be quite so bad. Then, if he does sign the tender, we are seriously hindered in free agency. And, trading a player who has signed a tender is not so easy. This is the reason teams do bonuses, so that in the 1st few years, where they hope the player is productive, they aren't getting big cap hits.

Again, it's not so simple as you try to make it sound. The NFL with its cap issues never is. Saban and the Dolphins fully realize this.

Say it with me Da`Fins......

"We will not trade a Pro Bowl cornerback for a fourth round pick".

"We will not trade a Pro Bowl cornerback for a fourth round pick."

"We will not trade a Pro Bowl cornerback ........:) j/k

We can afford to keep Surtain this year and then deal with re-signing, franchising or letting him leave via FA after the season.

That was my point.

This is not a move that absolutely has to be done before the 05 season.

We can wait one more year.

But can the Chiefs afford to wait another year?

There offense is much like our defense. Its very talented, but its not getting any younger.

The Chiefs "window" is closing.

We can wait another season......

The Chiefs cant. :wink:

kcphantom said:
:redx: Who honestly thinks that Saban wont settle for something other than a second round pick for surtain? I think he will take the fourth that he was offered and then take another pick next year and that is to be determined on the performance of surtain whether it be a second or third.

But if you honestly think that he will get a second this year now that is funny:roflmao:

Keep laughing, Slappy. We DON'T have to trade Surtain (as much as KC wants to believe). In case you Chefs fans and your GM haven't figured it out yet, Saban is in control of this deal. As HVAC mentioned, we are in no hurry to trade him and he is currently under contract (and that contract is already figured into this years cap). If needed, Saban and Spielman will find a way to free up space to sign our draft picks (not to mention the fact that there will be cuts that will free up space). So, contrary to Chefs logic, the Phins are NOT in a desperate situation and you WILL NOT be getting Surtain in a steal. My guess is that either of the following will happen:

1. The Chefs cave and give up their 2nd this year.

or

2. After watching Randy Moss burn them all game two times this season, the Chefs will beg the Phins to give up Surtain next season by offering their 1st or offering up a 2nd and late round pick.

Of course, you could always sign Ty Law and hope that he is able to play before half of the season is over.

So........who's laughing now? I know I am. The Chefs, their managment and their fans are a joke.

:roflmao: :lol: :tongue2: :chuckle: :rofl3: :rofl4: :bry: :lol2:

Keep Surtain or only trade for 2005 #2

Surtain is better than anybody we will draft this year in the second round. He has been our best CB for years. If he can be a team player and take a small cut in salary he would be invaluble to our defense. All players are subject to injury. If Madison or howard get hurt we only have Poole. :evil:

kcphantom said:
:redx: Who honestly thinks that Saban wont settle for something other than a second round pick for surtain? I think he will take the fourth that he was offered and then take another pick next year and that is to be determined on the performance of surtain whether it be a second or third.

But if you honestly think that he will get a second this year now that is funny:roflmao:

i think what is even funnier, is thinking that the chiefs will get surtain for a 4th.

The chiefs defense

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
kcphantom said:

This Message Board has about 1000 "little Saban's".

My Tip

4th This Year
2-3 Cond. Next Year and Saban has his 2nd.

mattgilm said:
Surtain is better than anybody we will draft this year in the second round. He has been our best CB for years. If he can be a team player and take a small cut in salary he would be invaluble to our defense. All players are subject to injury. If Madison or howard get hurt we only have Poole. :evil:

One of the big gripes I have had with our FO the past few years is our inability to get something in return for guys who are about to decline.Now I know Surtain is still relatively young,but now is the time to recoup something for him.

fintimtc said:
One of the big gripes I have had with our FO the past few years is our inability to get something in return for guys who are about to decline.Now I know Surtain is still relatively young,but now is the time to recoup something for him.

yeah but not a 4th or conditional pick. Pat is still at the top of his game. You dont get rid of a pro bowl corner for peanuts.

kcphantom said:

I think what is funny is how all your KC fans think by coming here low balling you actually are going to do anything positive. Personally, I hope we decide not to trade him so that you can watch your nasty CB's get toasted again for an entire season. Your piece of crap defense should be offering us two #1's for Surtain based on how bad you were.

No, Saban wont take less. Now go away.

AquaAssasin said:
yeah but not a 4th or conditional pick. Pat is still at the top of his game. You dont get rid of a pro bowl corner for peanuts.
Not to mention he'd be the best defensive player on the KC roster. In fact he'd be the best since Derrick Thomas.

kcphantom said:

How about you give us Larry Johnson for a 4th Rounder?

Back
Top Bottom