Saban calls out the NFL. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban calls out the NFL.

you don't think there's shadiness going on with players etc right under sabans nose at bama or under meyers nose at florida...clean programs my ***...

i watched the pete carroll interview on real sports where he should have gotten an academy award for the acting he did...it was impressive and rediculous..."i had no clue" what a fraud

this stuff is going on everywhere...whether it be agent contacts or players getting paid by boosters under the table or players driving around in rigs that everyone knows they can't afford...

rampant...and its been going on for quite a long time...and it's not gonna stop...and nick saban isn't the savior...he's a part of the problem just like everybody else...i guarantee it

so nick just shut up...

You're still not addressing the point.... the point is it never comes out about these kids receiving all of these benefits from boosters while playing for a program until they're already gone... moved on to the NFL and sitting there fat, rich and happy...

Then the NCAA decides to hand down punishment on the school and 85 other players that had nothing to do with it.... there are kids playing high school football right now that haven't even committed to USC yet that will have to bear the brunt of what Reggie Bush is guilty of....

A booster giving a kid money or fancy cars in order to get him to come play for a school is cheating... it gives the school a competitive advantage..

However, the school doesn't benefit in any way whatsoever when a kid decides on his OWN INDIVIDUAL CONSCIENCE to accept money or benefits from a SPORTS AGENT.... who has NOTHING to do with the University itself...

This is apples and oranges.... It's time for the NFL to get off their *** and do something to help college football prevent this type of agent/athlete contact, or college football campuses all across the country are going to shut their doors in the face of NFL scouts when they come to evaluate players...

Then all the "NFL fanatics" can ***** and moan to each other about how their front offices keep botching draft picks...

It has alot of you guys ranting and raving for no reason at all...so you would
be wrong..It seems alot of people do care.

Yeah no one cares...that's why this thread will be 10 pages by the afternoon and several posts will be deleted because someone will get bent out of shape because they hate it when Saban is right.

College football players DO deserve to get paid.... the problem is the NCAA doesn't think so... because it's unfair to the students who are attending the school on academic scholarships as opposed to athletic scholarships...

Universities are making money off these kids.... they're on video games... their jerseys are being sold...etc.. yet all the kids get out of it is a free education? Are you serious?

Accepting benefits from an agent isn't a violation.... the problem is that it makes you a professional once you accept them... making you ineligible to play in a game...

THAT'S where the violation is...

You're wrong CK... there's a reason why almost 40 states have laws on the books against this very agent/amateur athlete contact.... but until programs are able to punish this activity and prosecute these guys without bringing undeserved sanctions upon themselves, something has to change...

It's a black and white issue for sure... but certainly has nothing to do with race as you suggest... It has to do with right and wrong.

We agree on some things, not on others, obviously. I'm not saying that what the agents do is awesome. I'm saying that from a moral and ethical standpoint, guys like Nick Saban have zero high ground to talk about it because they are BOTH trying to make money off the backs of the unpaid players.

And the reason I would personally assume that there are laws on the books in many states against the practice you're talking about, is simply because the voters and legislatures of those states love their college football and want to protect the system, unfair as that system may be. Hell, I wouldn't put it beyond the Alabama legislature to try and pass some law specifically designed to protect Marcel Dareus' status as an amateur athlete, because them boys love their Alabama football. These agents are a threat to the system. It's really a morally neutral issue, and it has a heck of a lot more to do with the practice presenting a structural threat to a system that the public loves for their own selfish reasons.

As for whether there is race involved in this, a couple of things. One, the majority of student football players are black whereas if you look at the percentages of Athletic Directors and coaches, it's overwhelmingly white. And this is and has been even more egregious than the NFL. Some very respectable people have decried it, but unlike the NFL the NCAA seems to not care or have any inclination to do anything about it. Secondly, even with that imbalance, my slavery parallel was not meant to emphasize black versus white. Indentured servants were white. Today's version of indentured servitude and the modern slave trade is not black, mostly hispanic if I'm not mistaken. The metaphor was just meant to emphasize a system that is set up unfairly to produce a hell of a lot of money on the backs of people who don't get jack squat. And given the inequity here, I do find the black-white disconnect between players and coaches to be conspicuous, though obviously not conclusive in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
until nicks program is clean which it will never completely be if he wants to keep landing these top notch recruits who's families are looking for handouts etc i don't think he should be calling out the nfl about anything...

and cane if you don't think there's still some shadiness going on at um despite the new philosophy and coaching change etc you sir are naive...

i don't trust any of them...even mike whatchamacallit at duke in hoops...none of them...period

i just accept thats what college sports have become and roll with it...check that revenue sports like football and basketball that carry the ratings and the publics eye...

You're still not addressing the point.... the point is it never comes out about these kids receiving all of these benefits from boosters while playing for a program until they're already gone... moved on to the NFL and sitting there fat, rich and happy...

Then the NCAA decides to hand down punishment on the school and 85 other players that had nothing to do with it.... there are kids playing high school football right now that haven't even committed to USC yet that will have to bear the brunt of what Reggie Bush is guilty of....

A booster giving a kid money or fancy cars in order to get him to come play for a school is cheating... it gives the school a competitive advantage..

However, the school doesn't benefit in any way whatsoever when a kid decides on his OWN INDIVIDUAL CONSCIENCE to accept money or benefits from a SPORTS AGENT.... who has NOTHING to do with the University itself...

This is apples and oranges.... It's time for the NFL to get off their *** and do something to help college football prevent this type of agent/athlete contact, or college football campuses all across the country are going to shut their doors in the face of NFL scouts when they come to evaluate players...

Then all the "NFL fanatics" can ***** and moan to each other about how their front offices keep botching draft picks...

my point is people that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...

until nicks program is clean which it will never completely be if he wants to keep landing these top notch recruits who's families are looking for handouts etc i don't think he should be calling out the nfl about anything...

and cane if you don't think there's still some shadiness going on at um despite the new philosophy and coaching change etc you sir are naive...

i don't trust any of them...even mike whatchamacallit at duke in hoops...none of them...period

i just accept thats what college sports have become and roll with it...check that revenue sports like football and basketball that carry the ratings and the publics eye...

You're talking out of your *** here hoops and you know it... you're throwing out accusations all over the place without anything to back it up..

Nick Saban has ran a clean program everywhere he's been.... the only reason Alabama is always in the news lately about this kind of stuff is because he keeps sniffing it out and addressing it before it can be a detriment to the program...

Unlike past regimes at Alabama... and Universities all over the country where ALL WAS QUIET.... until the hammer dropped..

That's exactly my beef. If people want to cry about losing a player because of these sports agents, not being able to cheer for a team that is as strong as it should be, fine whatever. But Nick Saban and really any college head coach or Athletic Director, really have no moral grounds to be publicly bashing the agents. No moral grounds whatsoever.

We agree on some things, not on others, obviously. I'm not saying that what the agents do is awesome. I'm saying that from a moral and ethical standpoint, guys like Nick Saban have zero high ground to talk about it because they are BOTH trying to make money off the backs of the unpaid players.

And the reason I would personally assume that there are laws on the books in many states against the practice you're talking about, is simply because the voters and legislatures of those states love their college football and want to protect the system, unfair as that system may be. Hell, I wouldn't put it beyond the Alabama legislature to try and pass some law specifically designed to protect Marcel Dareus' status as an amateur athlete, because them boys love their Alabama football. These agents are a threat to the system. It's really a morally neutral issue, and it has a heck of a lot more to do with the practice presenting a structural threat to a system that the public loves for their own selfish reasons.

As for whether there is race involved in this, a couple of things. One, the majority of student football players are black whereas if you look at the percentages of Athletic Directors and coaches, it's overwhelmingly white. And this is and has been even more egregious than the NFL. Some very respectable people have decried it, but unlike the NFL the NCAA seems to not care or have any inclination to do anything about it. Secondly, even with that imbalance, my slavery parallel was not meant to emphasize black versus white. Indentured servants were white. Today's version of indentured servitude and the modern slave trade is not black, mostly hispanic if I'm not mistaken. The metaphor was just meant to emphasize a system that is set up unfairly to produce a hell of a lot of money on the backs of people who don't get jack squat. And given the inequity here, I do find the black-white disconnect between players and coaches to be conspicuous, though obviously not conclusive in any way.

Ok, well we do agree on some things here then... Of course these politicals love their college football.. and always will. It's been around a lot longer than the NFL has... many of these politicians have personal ties to their Universities and are alumni... not some second rate, jersey wearing, pampered millionaire admirer....

The system is flawed... these unethical agents aren't a threat to the system... the system is a threat to college athletics.

I'm willing to bet that it's not going on at the University of Miami.

:lol: Hell bro, it's happening everywhere. I had a buddy back in the day @ West Liberty (Division 2) that used to get his "envelopes" after every game.

... To say, "Not at my school" is the equivalent of an ostrich with it's head in the sand.

You're talking out of your *** here hoops and you know it... you're throwing out accusations all over the place without anything to back it up..

Nick Saban has ran a clean program everywhere he's been.... the only reason Alabama is always in the news lately about this kind of stuff is because he keeps sniffing it out and addressing it before it can be a detriment to the program...

Unlike past regimes at Alabama... and Universities all over the country where ALL WAS QUIET.... until the hammer dropped..

i don't believe that nick saban has run a clean program everywhere...you may but i don't...do i have proof??? no i don't...but i know that i've been around some high level college who became pro athletes growing up and i saw some shady stuff...real shady stuff...and from coaches who paint a very "who me...never" picture...that's all i'll say

if nick comes back to the nfl for $35 mil over 5 years anytime soon i'll know to look for THE HAMMER TO DROP

:lol: Hell bro, it's happening everywhere. I had a buddy back in the day @ West Liberty (Division 2) that used to get his "envelopes" after every game.

... To say, "Not at my school" is the equivalent of an ostrich with it's head in the sand.

Nah, it's not happening at UM. If it were we'd be winning something. If you can't win the scrub *** ACC with our talent, you aren't cheating. And if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying.

That article was a crock. Saban is right, but this is nothing new. There should be an FCAT for sportswriters because all of the S FL writers are truly pathetic, and horrifically unprofessional.

The problem isn't just the agents though. Those players are more to blame than some will lead you to believe.

Reggie Bush took the money and then decided to stiff the guys who handed it to him. This does not appear like the actions of a victim to me. The entire NCAA is corrupt as can be. They are making billions and very conveniently looking the other way when those players can't read and write. How many college level courses does anyone believe Jamarcus Russell passed?

Or Dez Bryant?

If those colleges were actually forced to comply with the education laws that are already in place, then these kids would be better equiped to make these types of decisions.

Back
Top Bottom