Saban Speculation Thread Part 1 (merged 9,999x) | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban Speculation Thread Part 1 (merged 9,999x)

Will Saban take the offer from Alabama??

• Yes, the pressures of the NFL/ lure of a huge contract is too much to pass up

Votes: 136 49.8%
  • No. Saban will honor his contract with Miami and see this through one way or the other

Votes: 137 50.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think Saban is going anywhere, but...

If I had the choice between 15 million for 3 years vs 19 million for 3 years...it would be VERY difficult for me to turn down that 19. VERY VERY difficult!!

Please, that is nothing. Most major university alumni can build up quite a treasure chest.

I agree. The question in my mind (again, as an Alabama fan) is whether paying that sort of money for a coach is an appropriate use of such money by an institution supposedly committed to education.

Don't even get me started on the hypocricy at the NCAA level of paying coaches millions and giving the athletes essentially squat. Tell me how that encourages them to be student athletes better than giving them enough money to allow them to lead a comfortable life would. I'm not talking a mint here -- $10,000 a player would be plenty.

prove to us he called it his dream...you're entire premise is speculatuion
My comments are in regards to the Jeremy Green info in the very fist post, and the responses by the one's who question Green's info and others responses saying it could happen (like myself).

I'm sure you all feel as though YOU know-it-all, but I'll take Jeremy Green's info over the speculation most of you think you know.

This is what I love most about message forums. Ignorant people who call others out because they don't believe what that person says could be true because there is no proof, but then they fail to see the beliefs they're pushing are just as unsubstantial. And before you say "Saban said it himself". Well, as I grew up I was a nauseating Michael Jordan fan. He retired in 1994 and said there was a 99.9% chance he was done for good. We all know what happened.... Oh wait, he said the same thing again in 1998.....

He is the son of Arizona Cardinals head coach Dennis Green.

HE IS WHO I THOUGHT HE WAS!! And we LET HIM OFF THE HOOK!

(I dont care how credible he is, Saban would be committing career suicide to pull a move like this now.. He would never, ever be able to sell a book about leadership again, thats for sure.. If he screwed up at Alabama, he would have to go back to coaching 1AA teams..
How is it career suicide? I would think 10 years 57 million is a step up for a coach who is obviously lost on the pro level. I guess I'm just crazy, but I say, GOOD RIDDANCE SIR. The guy is not a pro coach. He is the equivalent of Spurrier. Loves to teach kids, but when it comes to the pro level, his antics DON'T WORK. Give me an up and coming guy from New England or somewhere like that. I'm tired of this Saban nonsense.

Dmancari23 tell the truth and just say you are not a Dolphin fan, you don't seem to like anybody on this team.

How is it career suicide? I would think 10 years 57 million is a step up for a coach who is obviously lost on the pro level. I guess I'm just crazy, but I say, GOOD RIDDANCE SIR. The guy is not a pro coach. He is the equivalent of Spurrier. Loves to teach kids, but when it comes to the pro level, his antics DON'T WORK. Give me an up and coming guy from New England or somewhere like that. I'm tired of this Saban nonsense.
First, Belicheck was 16-16 his first two years as New England's head coach. I like Saban and hope he stays.

But if Saban does leave: Ken Whisenhunt from Pittsburgh. That's all we should be thinking now if Saban does in fact leave.

He will rebuild this offense starting from the offensive line, and he will utilize Ronnie Brown the proper way with his smash mouth mentality. He can make an impact as Head Coach just like Sean Payton has for the New Orleans Saints. This guy is a great game planner.

I got a feeling Bill Cowher is going to leave and they will give the job to Ken. :( Bill wouldn't be talking about his future tommorow after the game had he signed a contract. I think you have to get the contract first before you start talking.

An extremely wealthy quitter, and once he builds a winner in Alabama{which he will}, nobody will care what he did / didn't do in Miami. At least that's my opinion....

Personally, I don't want him to leave. I think he has a future in Miami, and would like him to continue rebuilding this team. Howvere, things like this are impossible to predict, and there's certainly a decent chance he will take the job, and move back to where he's more comfortable....college....

PHINZ RULE!!!!
With what Spurrier has done in South Carolina so far, you don't hear a SINGLE PERSON saying about what happened in the NFL. He's a great college coach, so what it didn't work out in the NFL. Remember Pete Carroll with the Jets? Yeah, no one cares if you don't get it done in the NFL on the college level. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY is all that matters. Pete Carroll was a bum as a NFL coach but is a GOD for USC.

I agree. The question in my mind (again, as an Alabama fan) is whether paying that sort of money for a coach is an appropriate use of such money by an institution supposedly committed to education.

Don't even get me started on the hypocricy at the NCAA level of paying coaches millions and giving the athletes essentially squat. Tell me how that encourages them to be student athletes better than giving them enough money to allow them to lead a comfortable life would. I'm not talking a mint here -- $10,000 a player would be plenty.

They aren't necessarily "spending" the money, but more investing it, is their mentality. If they land THE big name they want, then boosters come in and donate millions of dollars to the sports programs at 'Bama. If they go with some up-and-comer, boosters aren't nearly as excited nor giving. I would bet that it's the boosters and big financial-donors who are the one's aggressively pushing this envelope. You can be sure that there have been some closed-door meetings, where boosters are assuring they'll double previous years donations to the university, IF 'Bama lands Saban. It's politics, and the money isn't that big a deal if you have proud alumni with millions of dollars ready to fly at a big name...

Dmancari23 tell the truth and just say you are not a Dolphin fan, you don't seem to like anybody don't his team.
I love the Phins. I personally think Saban has ruined the team with bringing Culpepper in, drafting guys like Brown and Allen and passing on Brees. If Saban goes, I think we have a shot at bringing someone in who will stop with this nonsense. Let it him go. He's 15-16. He deserves ZERO credit. This team is better than 15-17 or 16-16. He's run them into the ground. It's time to stop putting blame on the OLINE and the previous era. Take a LONG look at New Orleans, Tennesee, Buffalo, NY Jets, etc. Those are all previous bad teams that are on the rise up because they are doing things the RIGHT way. It all goes back to coaching. Jauron, Fisher, Mangini, Payton- I would take every one of those guys over Saban.

that would make you a quitter in my book...him too....
I don't think Saban's reading your book Marty.

But we still need to do a book report on his don't we. :wink:

I love the Phins. I personally think Saban has ruined the team with bringing Culpepper in, drafting guys like Brown and Allen and passing on Brees. If Saban goes, I think we have a shot at bringing someone in who will stop with this nonsense. Let it him go. He's 15-16. He deserves ZERO credit. This team is better than 15-17 or 16-16. He's run them into the ground. It's time to stop putting blame on the OLINE and the previous era. Take a LONG look at New Orleans, Tennesee, Buffalo, NY Jets, etc. Those are all previous bad teams that are on the rise up because they are doing things the RIGHT way. It all goes back to coaching. Jauron, Fisher, Mangini, Payton- I would take every one of those guys over Saban.
only an idiot wouldn't be able to see that Saban has done a very good job turning this team around in the two years he has been here.

First, Belicheck was 16-16 his first two years as New England's head coach. I like Saban and hope he stays.

But if Saban does leave: Ken Whisenhunt from Pittsburgh. That's all we should be thinking now if Saban does in fact leave.

He will rebuild this offense starting from the offensive line, and he will utilize Ronnie Brown the proper way with his smash mouth mentality. He can make an impact as Head Coach just like Sean Payton has for the New Orleans Saints. This guy is a great game planner.

I got a feeling Bill Cowher is going to leave and they will give the job to Ken. :( Bill wouldn't be talking about his future tommorow after the game had he signed a contract. I think you have to get the contract first before you start talking.

Russ Gimm the Steelers OL coach was Cowers heir apparent

If Saban stays we will just go through thsi EVERY year with EVERY major college job comes open.

You know in a few years such jobs as Penn St, FSU, Michigan (possibly).....all will come open. What if Weiss goes to the NFL and leaves ND. Every major college will just chase Saban and we will go through this every year.

Let him go now, let's get somene who WANTS to be here. And start over the right way!!!!!!!!!!!

And on MONDAY when the season is over if Saban starts going into talks with Alabama, Wayne H should lock him out from his office and the headquarters. Bar him from the building. F' this song and dance he is putting us through and the lies he would have said for the past month if he starts talking to them once our season is over. If he even takes 1 phone call from them........just lock him out!!!!!!

It actually irritates me more that Alabama is being so disruptive in pursuing Saban. I want to take Saban at face, I really do, he says he's not going so I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe him. But Alabama needs to really back off, Saban signed a contract, he's an employee, if this were another NFL team there would be major tampering charges filed.

I really think that before Saban even considers talking to Alabama he needs to look at how his predecessor was treated. Mike Shula went 10-2 and could've actually factored into the national championship picture if a few more things had gone his way two years ago (and he won the Cotton Bowl) and then after one bad year he gets canned, this after he just signed an extension? The job security at Alabama is seriously lacking, or at least that seems to be the precedent.

I think more so Alabama is having a difficult time dealing with their irrelevance. They're not going to be able to dominate the SEC... ever. There's too much talent there. Any year Auburn, UF, Tennessee or Georgia could be national championship contenders, not to mention South Carolina and Arkansas or on the rise. I don't see how that could possibly be an attractive job despite the financial situation it comes with.

I liked Don Shula's interview on Monday when he was very straightforward about how he feels about Alabama, both as a member of the Miami Dolphins and the father of Mike Shula. I wish he'd been harder on them. They can go to hell in my opinion.

I think FSU plays them next year, I hope we wreck them.

Back
Top Bottom