Schefter: Dolphins Will Rebuild Lines In 2019; Are Eyeing A Top Ten Pick And New Qb In 2020 Draft | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Schefter: Dolphins Will Rebuild Lines In 2019; Are Eyeing A Top Ten Pick And New Qb In 2020 Draft

I’m cool with a youth movement... building through the draft... but the search for a franchise QB should start now....not in 2 years.

I don’t care about the Rhetoric concerning the QB’s in the 2019 draft...I’ll bet you one or more of these QB’s will succeed!

I agree with this. Building a team piece by piece is the stale conventional wisdom approach. It does not fit the current NFL. The league now rewards scoring and does not offer many ways to prevent scoring.

Playoff level is not meaningful level. We are mostly kidding ourselves if we feel great about fortifying the offensive line, etc. Those wild card round teams are still Crowd teams and essentially not much different than fellow Crowd teams that went 6-10. The only way to separate is to find that freakish quarterback who enables legit potential for a first round bye. Kansas City in many ways is a weaker team than pre Mahomes. But who cares?

If they are going to ignore the QB position in 2019... I’ll be finding something else to do...not interested in a year of tanking... hoping to lose enough games to hopefully get the QB you want 2 drafts from now...that just more Dolphin insanity.

I’m cool with a youth movement... building through the draft... but the search for a franchise QB should start now....not in 2 years.

I don’t care about the Rhetoric concerning the QB’s in the 2019 draft...I’ll bet you one or more of these QB’s will succeed!

Most Phin fans have wasted away a decades worth of Sundays, at least 2019 has a purpose.

Enjoy your something else.

I have a very hard time believing the team has completed their scouting on QB’s available in 2019 so I find this kind of stupid UNLESS they really are building from the inside out. Still if you like a QB and he’s available in round 1or 2, do you really say, nah 2020?

I have a very hard time believing the team has completed their scouting on QB’s available in 2019 so I find this kind of stupid UNLESS they really are building from the inside out. Still if you like a QB and he’s available in round 1or 2, do you really say, nah 2020?

Games are won in the trenches. Look at the Rams. Their OL abused The Cowboys defense. That OL made CJ look like a probowl RB even though he had been cut by what 2 or 3 teams in 2018. We haven’t had a OL like that in a very long time. Also, we have a lot of short comings on DL.

This only makes sense to me. We can get a great OL prospect at pick 13. No need to mortgage the future by trading up for a QB this year. If a guy falls to us - ok, but for the elite pick in round 1, I would get the best OL prospect and if he is gone, I have seen mocks where a guy like Ed Oliver could fall to us (not sure I believe it, but with the QB gold rush happening, you can get an advantage in round 1 if you draft another position).

The best way to have success with a rookie QB is to surround him with talent, especially a great Oline. If I am Miami, my goal this year is to have a top 10 Oline for both run and pass. Without that, we simply are not putting the QB in the best position to be successful.

If this is true then josh sitton should be waived and Jonah Williams should be a target at pick 13.

Wish he had a little more strength for the kick inside but his technique is pretty clean. Could also potentially replace Jawuan James at right tackle pending arm length of course in terms of ideal fit.

The goal should be to find the right QB, not just a QB. If that means holding off until 2020, then that’s exactly what we should do.

A nightmare scenario would be that we reach for a QB in 2019 and end up passing on taking any of the top QBs in 2020’amd 2021 because we just took one in 2019 and we’re waiting for him to develop, only to be in another Tannehill scenario.

Last edited:
In terms of the 2020 qb class you watch that Justin Herbert tape there’s some unevenness to it. Wow you one play leave you wanting more the next.

Ball explodes out of his arm. Somewhat of a 3/4 delivery but at that height I don’t think it matters.

Not sure he’s got it between the ears though. Which makes it eegads dicey

Big big 2019 for him.

Actually, the saddest thing is that we have a group of fans, like you, who will support anything this franchise does.

Carry on.
Pathetic when you think you know better than them from your couch, with a fragment of information that they have. Yeah, I'll support the franchise because I'm not ignorant enough to pretend I know more than them.

In terms of the 2020 qb class you watch that Justin Herbert tape there’s some unevenness to it. Wow you one play leave you wanting more the next.

Ball explodes out of his arm. Somewhat of a 3/4 delivery but at that height I don’t think it matters.

Not sure he’s got it between the ears though. Which makes it eegads dicey

Big big 2019 for him.

Yep, thought he was the clear frontrunner for QB1 to start the season, but I'm not sure he has the instincts to be a high-end QB. Maybe the light comes on in 2019.

In terms of draft, i see lots of mocks having us take Cody Ford. If we are not taking QB, i would love to trade our 1st and move back to say, 21st pick and get an extra 2nd rounder. Top 3 picks are OG, OG, and RT? Or get two 1st rounders somehow and take two best guards. Fix the OL once Nd for all

First time I've heard any common sense in years around Miami. Build the trenches. Stop ignoring the interior OL. Anyone see how NE's OL dominated the LOS vs SD?

We have too many holes to fill in one off-season so both lines will not be able to be completely fixed. The only two to build on right now are Godchaux/Taylor on DL and they are not high level. Still need an upgrade. Probably edge rusher in round 1 though.

Offense has more holes depending on what they do with James. Need a C and 2 guards long term.

Key hires will be OL coach as well as DL coach. Might be able to retain Kocurek.

Look at the bright side -- we have priority needs on OL, DL and of course QB.

Trade up this year would be a big mistake on a number of levels IMO.

Ideally, we can trade #13 for lower R1 + pick up R2 or similar.

We need to hit pay dirt on both sides of the line and focus

outward from there. I think we have the "luxury" in '19 draft

to leverage value for what's best 2020 beyond -- so I fully expect

to accumulate immediate assets with long term upside...

Bottom line -- gotta solve problem areas to stop spinning our wheels.

If they are going to ignore the QB position in 2019... I’ll be finding something else to do...not interested in a year of tanking... hoping to lose enough games to hopefully get the QB you want 2 drafts from now...that just more Dolphin insanity.

Agreed 100%. I'd call this a retooling mode so to speak instead of a rebuild. A poster here (I forgot whom) posted that Ross is not going all gung-ho for "older FA's" anymore instead more younger and calculated FA pickups. IIRC is James a RFA this year? If true also he can sign an offer sheet elsewhere giving us 7 days to match; and if we decide not to match we're owed a compensation pick?

Also, I'm certain that some cap casualties will take place once the offseason officially starts. The point is that this notion of ignoring probably our most pressing need (a QB) this year hoping that next year we'll strike gold isn't an agreeable solution imho.

Back
Top Bottom