Sclsu Mud Dogs Offseason Plan Part 1: Cuts/re-sign | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sclsu Mud Dogs Offseason Plan Part 1: Cuts/re-sign

SCLSU Mud Dogs

Foosball is the devil
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
In a previous thread, I made the following revelations about Miami's cap situation. It was less of a plan and more of a guide to gutting the roster for the most cap possible. After the quoted text, I'll put together my plan for the roster, starting with cuts and then followed by who we should re-sign.

Currently, over the cap has Miami at $17M cap space. With an aggressive dumping of expensive contract, that number can be close to $90M.

Tannehill - cut saves $13M with $13M dead.
Jones - trade saves $5M and $12M dead. I think he could fetch a 3rd round pick. Packers, Bucs, Raiders and Panthers could use safeties.
Quinn - cut saves $12.9M with 0 dead.
Parker - rescinded option saves $9.4M
Branch - cut saves $7M and $2M dead
Sitton - cut saves 5M and 2M dead
Kiko - cut saves 4.7M with 3.5M dead
Amendola - cut saves 6M
Akeem Spence - cut saves 2.5M
Kilgore - cut saves 2.4M
Larsen - cut saves 1.875M

With those moves, Miami will be at an estimated 87.81M in cap space.

Cut:
Robert Quinn, $12,932,332 in savings - huge price tag for a marginal starter
DeVante Parker (rescinded option), $9,387,000 in savings - end the DVP charade
Andre Branch, $7,000,000 in savings - Does not produce enough for his contract
Danny Amendola, $6,000,000 in savings - doesn't offer long-term upside and despite solid leadership, I think he could be a cap casualty
Daniel Kilgore, $2,400,000 in savings - Miami can get pretty comparable production with younger players
Ted Larsen, $1,875,000 in savings - Same point as above
Estimated cap room with above cuts: $53,592,149

Post June 1 cuts (Miami can't use the money until after June 1)
Ryan Tannehill, $18,750,000 in savings - Doing this will reduce the dead cap hit. I don't expect Miami to be huge players in free agency this year, so expect most of this to be rolled over to 2020.

Estimated cap room after Tannehill cut: $72,342,149

Re-sign:

Ja'Wuan James - 4 years, $36M, $18M guaranteed - James has some injury concerns, but he's a very capable starter and he's young. $6M first year cap hit.

Brandon Bolden - 2 years, $2M, $500k guaranteed - Core special teamer and made the most of his opportunities when he carried the ball. $1M first year cap hit.

Travis Swanson - 2 years, $4M, $1M guaranteed. I thought it did pretty well when he got playing time. $1.5M first year cap hit.

Jesse Davis - ERFA tender, $645k cap hit

Jake Brandel - original round RFA tender - $2M cap hit

Jonathan Woodard - ERFA tender, $645k cap hit

Isaac Asiata - ERFA tender, $645k cap hit

Maurice Smith - ERFA tender, $570k cap hit

Zach Sterup - ERFA tender, $645k cap hit

2019 season cap hit from re-signing players: about $13.685M

2019 Free Agency money remaining (not counting Tannehill post June 1 cut): between $39M and $40M

Total remaining cap adding Tannehill's June 1 cut: $58,657,149
2020 estimated cap space: $103,139,844 (this is before any 2019 free agents are signed)

Priority extensions:
Miami should absolutely make it a priority to re-sign Laremy Tunsil and Xavien Howard. Both will be mega deals but worth it.

Xavien Howard will likely see anywhere from $16M to $20M per year in average salary. It's the going rate for a star corner with an ever-increasing salary cap. 5 years at $18M is $90M total. And likely $30M or more guaranteed for that.

Laremy Tunsil will likely see anywhere from $14M to $18M per year in average salary. 5 years at $16M is $80M. And likely $26M or more guaranteed.

Stay tuned in February for the free agency edition of this thread. I want to wait and see who is released, tagged, re-signed, etc.

It'd be nice if we could get something for Kiko and Jones and I'd take anything. Neither will ever have more value than they do right now. Those contracts don't get any better and I'd put good money on their best playing days being behind them. It should go without saying that neither have any place in a rebuild, if that's where this is heading.

I'm assuming you're on the bring Sitton back train. I'm aboard just because there is ALWAYS a Tedd Larsen type that manages playing time inside and gets absolutely destroyed. Him and Davis are somewhere to start, at least (although I'd toy with the idea of switching Davis back out to RT and have James kick rocks ... but that's just me).

Nice job.

It'd be nice if we could get something for Kiko and Jones and I'd take anything. Neither will ever have more value than they do right now. Those contracts don't get any better and I'd put good money on their best playing days being behind them. It should go without saying that neither have any place in a rebuild, if that's where this is heading.

I'm assuming you're on the bring Sitton back train. I'm aboard just because there is ALWAYS a Tedd Larsen type that manages playing time inside and gets absolutely destroyed. Him and Davis are somewhere to start, at least (although I'd toy with the idea of switching Davis back out to RT and have James kick rocks ... but that's just me).

Nice job.

Reshad is just so damn good when used the right way, and I think in the new defense they could get creative using him. But I definitely get where you're coming from. Same with Kiko. We may be able to get a couple fourth round picks for them.

4 of the 5 highest paid CB's get paid 14 million with Josh Norman making 15 million. I can see it jumping to 16 but 20 million for X? You have to do it more than once to get that, it would be smarter to franchise him just to make sure he is who we think he is and not who we hope him to be.

Reshad is just so damn good when used the right way, and I think in the new defense they could get creative using him. But I definitely get where you're coming from. Same with Kiko. We may be able to get a couple fourth round picks for them.

He's only effective close to the LOS these days. His coverage was never great but he always managed to be at the right place at the right time and take advantage of the opportunity. Not only was his coverage pitiful last season (worst. angles. ever.), but do you also want the possibility of him having another tantrum with the new staff? TJ isn't going anywhere and I won't believe 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 talk until I see it ... but I'd be 100% for it. They need to pick who they want as the full time SS if they go the traditional defense route. And those coming cap hits ... oiy vey.

A couple 4th round picks and I'm doing cartwheels.

Agree with much of your assessment but I'd be tempted to keep Danny Amendola for at least another year - particularly with all of the former Patriots coaching staff likely coming to Miami. Flores will be wanting to put his stamp on the culture and Danny is an experienced veteran who can help.
Zach Sterup and Isaac Asiata are both pretty cheap but what have they really shown you that makes them worth re-signing?

Last edited:
Losing those guys doesn’t equal tanking to me. Who the QB is will go a long way towards that determination.

I"m keeping Quinn and dumping Jones ASAP.
Swanson stays along with Brendel, Kilgore and Larsen go bye-bye.
DVP and Charles trade, maybe a package deal.

More later

In a previous thread, I made the following revelations about Miami's cap situation. It was less of a plan and more of a guide to gutting the roster for the most cap possible. After the quoted text, I'll put together my plan for the roster, starting with cuts and then followed by who we should re-sign.

Cut:
Danny Amendola, $6,000,000 in savings - doesn't offer long-term upside and despite solid leadership, I think he could be a cap casualty
Daniel Kilgore, $2,400,000 in savings - Miami can get pretty comparable production with younger players

Ryan Tannehill, $18,750,000 in savings - Doing this will reduce the dead cap hit. I don't expect Miami to be huge players in free agency this year, so expect most of this to be rolled over to 2020.

Re-sign:

Ja'Wuan James - 4 years, $36M, $18M guaranteed - James has some injury concerns, but he's a very capable starter and he's young. $6M first year cap hit.

Brandon Bolden - 2 years, $2M, $500k guaranteed - Core special teamer and made the most of his opportunities when he carried the ball. $1M first year cap hit.

Travis Swanson - 2 years, $4M, $1M guaranteed. I thought it did pretty well when he got playing time. $1.5M first year cap hit.

2019 Free Agency money remaining (not counting Tannehill post June 1 cut): between $39M and $40M

2020 estimated cap space: $103,139,844 (this is before any 2019 free agents are signed)

Priority extensions:
Miami should absolutely make it a priority to re-sign Laremy Tunsil and Xavien Howard. Both will be mega deals but worth it.

Xavien Howard will likely see anywhere from $16M to $20M per year in average salary. It's the going rate for a star corner with an ever-increasing salary cap. 5 years at $18M is $90M total. And likely $30M or more guaranteed for that.

Laremy Tunsil will likely see anywhere from $14M to $18M per year in average salary. 5 years at $16M is $80M. And likely $26M or more guaranteed.

Stay tuned in February for the free agency edition of this thread. I want to wait and see who is released, tagged, re-signed, etc.

Not sure about Amendola. Miami MAY run a system he knows well and takes advantage of his skills. Plus, he's the steady vet to mentor the young guys.

I'm of the opinion, if a guy can't get off PS through 2 years (e.g., Asiata) . . . move on. OTOH, maybe a REAL OL coach could do wonders. I'm conflicted, inclined towards keeping them until the new coaches can see what they have. Replacements shouldn't be difficult

Guys like Alonso? Another struggle. He's not a bad LB, but good enough to keep until the coaches are certain they can get, at least, an equivalent. Average players are hard to find and can be expensive to sign.

X and Tunsil? Yeah, keep them, but on the low side of your range. I like your taking the mid-range #

Ballage? I may be in a minority, but he looks like an average RB.

All that said, so far, no one knows the thoughts/scheme of Flores. In any case, I don't see massive changes in the roster, UNLESS clear upgrades are found OR a player (e.g., Quinn) is good, but the money is excessive. Fans know, all needed upgrades can't be solved through the draft. I expect FAs to lower the number of draft needs. Where Flores puts those priorities in unknown

Trade away as many vets over 30 that you can.

Open up a ton of cap space to resign the couple great players we have and let them get better with Miami.

Everything you said is basically what I want to see this offseason.

Cut:

Re-sign:

Priority extensions:

Asiata? Where did that come from? Cut. Also a lot depends on the 3-4, 4-3 plan. If it’s 3-4 as I’ve read then both Quinn and Wake are not good fits and expendable. Jones, Kiko and Tannehill should be traded if possible. Agree we lock down X, Tunsil and James long term. We have to keep our good draft picks.

Last edited:

Cut:

Re-sign:

Priority extensions:

I like most of what you've done but Asiata needs to go. Nothing but a wasted spot imo.

4 of the 5 highest paid CB's get paid 14 million with Josh Norman making 15 million. I can see it jumping to 16 but 20 million for X? You have to do it more than once to get that, it would be smarter to franchise him just to make sure he is who we think he is and not who we hope him to be.

I think you're going to see contracts for corners far surpass the current number. I was talking with CK briefly on Twitter a few weeks ago and he was of the assumption it could be closer to $20M a year if I'm not mistaken.

Not sure about Amendola. Miami MAY run a system he knows well and takes advantage of his skills. Plus, he's the steady vet to mentor the young guys.

I'm of the opinion, if a guy can't get off PS through 2 years (e.g., Asiata) . . . move on. OTOH, maybe a REAL OL coach could do wonders. I'm conflicted, inclined towards keeping them until the new coaches can see what they have. Replacements shouldn't be difficult

Guys like Alonso? Another struggle. He's not a bad LB, but good enough to keep until the coaches are certain they can get, at least, an equivalent. Average players are hard to find and can be expensive to sign.

X and Tunsil? Yeah, keep them, but on the low side of your range. I like your taking the mid-range #

Ballage? I may be in a minority, but he looks like an average RB.

All that said, so far, no one knows the thoughts/scheme of Flores. In any case, I don't see massive changes in the roster, UNLESS clear upgrades are found OR a player (e.g., Quinn) is good, but the money is excessive. Fans know, all needed upgrades can't be solved through the draft. I expect FAs to lower the number of draft needs. Where Flores puts those priorities in unknown

Yeah, similar to what @BobDole said, it may be in Miami's best interest to get what it can in a trade for Jones and Kiko.

I also think that for such a low cap #, we can at least bring Asiata to camp as one last hoorah. But you're probably right.

I like the potential of Ballage but we'll see.

I'd like to see Miami make FA moves for younger players, similar to when Randy Starks was signed. He was super young and his best years were in Miami. We need more moves like that.

Also agree about Amendola, but we'll see about that one, too. Flores being from NE certainly increases his chances of staying. But maybe he wants to play for a contender.

Cut:

Re-sign:

Priority extensions:

Good start. Like Woodard and think he's a fit with his length. Have to keep the OT's - agreed - and Howard is worth keeping.

I'd have to check the contract details, but Asiata is the one guy that stands out as a point of disagreement. Even as a backup, that's a spot I'd want to upgrade. Never liked him and don't see any upside.

Back
Top Bottom