Sclsu Mud Dogs Offseason Plan Part 1: Cuts/re-sign | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sclsu Mud Dogs Offseason Plan Part 1: Cuts/re-sign

If we can stockpile on cap space and a bunch of mid round picks Miami can be players for Murray/Haskins or Tua next year.

Please do right Grier.

Cut:
Robert Quinn, $12,932,332 in savings - huge price tag for a marginal starter

I disagree with that. First of all, Phins are thin at DE as it is. From that standpoint I do not think they can afford to just scrap the roster at that spot to bare minimum.

Second, Quinn performed as well as Wake. He had 6.5 sacks and a good number of tackles. That is similar to Ingram, Vernon, Suggs. it's not marginal -- it's a good contribution.
He is a little overpaid, I don't know, by 3-4 mil, but whatever. I don't think it's wise to scrap roster at that spot just because of 3-4 mil overpayment.

Re-sign:

Ja'Wuan James - 4 years, $36M, $18M guaranteed - James has some injury concerns, but he's a very capable starter and he's young. $6M first year cap hit.

That would be great, and I would offer that. But Jawuan held the team for a franchise tag last offseason, which pays significantly more than that per year. There is a good chance he will want to test the FA market for most money.

Priority extensions:
Miami should absolutely make it a priority to re-sign Laremy Tunsil and Xavien Howard. Both will be mega deals but worth it.

Xavien Howard will likely see anywhere from $16M to $20M per year in average salary. It's the going rate for a star corner with an ever-increasing salary cap. 5 years at $18M is $90M total. And likely $30M or more guaranteed for that.

Laremy Tunsil will likely see anywhere from $14M to $18M per year in average salary. 5 years at $16M is $80M. And likely $26M or more guaranteed.

No way. That is serious over valuing of players. Additionally, no way should they negotiate "maximum," "highest paid" type contracts "early."
Those things are done when they hit free agency if the team wants them at that time! But not early. Nobody should ever rush to dishout unreasonable "highest paid" contract!!! No way!

They are getting new coaching staff. They absolutely should not tie their hands with unwise max contracts now before they had a chance to play them and evaluate. Let them evaluate for a season, those guys are on roster for this upcoming season, and make the decision later.
And if those guys at that time want max contracts, then let them test the FA market, they are competitors, that's how you get the max money.

Last edited:
Only thing I would change is maybe keeping Amendola. I want those savings but he could be helpful with a young QB learning the new system

I'm glad to finally see a really meaningful thread like this as opposed to "I hate the past and everybody associated with it" kind of venting.

I like the idea of keeping players until we can get an equal or better replacement, recognizing the FA availability and salary cap space have an effect on who we keep or let go.

I'm looking forward to hearing which direction our new coach and his staff intend to take the team. I feel the kinds of players brought in or released will tell its own tale of which way we will be going. I'm open for just about anything, as long as it works, at this point in time.

For anyone not knowing, Ballage has a ton of upside. The kid is in his rookie year and was stashed and showed as much promise as Ajayi and Drake did their rookie seasons. And we all know how Gase hated to play rookies. The main reason I think Leveon Bell will never play for us is because of how good Ballage could be.

Miami doesn’t need Quinn. He was pretty bad last year and is well overpaid.

I know Miami isn’t gonna be players, but Trey Flowers is who they need to sign. He does it all and then some. Plus he comes from that system and has been a great player.

Yeah, similar to what @BobDole said, it may be in Miami's best interest to get what it can in a trade for Jones and Kiko.

I also think that for such a low cap #, we can at least bring Asiata to camp as one last hoorah. But you're probably right.

I like the potential of Ballage but we'll see.

I'd like to see Miami make FA moves for younger players, similar to when Randy Starks was signed. He was super young and his best years were in Miami. We need more moves like that.

Also agree about Amendola, but we'll see about that one, too. Flores being from NE certainly increases his chances of staying. But maybe he wants to play for a contender.

Agree with Jones. Still uncertain about Kiko. Trading for a draft pick leaves one LB spot open. Many here seem to dislike him, but he still has to be replaced with a player seen as good enough to replace him. (I don't see a tank or major rebuild.) It is reasonable to find an equivalent player for less money, but I'd rather swallow some money one more year than downgrade a position.

Agree with Jones. Still uncertain about Kiko. Trading for a draft pick leaves one LB spot open. Many here seem to dislike him, but he still has to be replaced with a player seen as good enough to replace him. (I don't see a tank or major rebuild.) It is reasonable to find an equivalent player for less money, but I'd rather swallow some money one more year than downgrade a position.

As I said before, I get the slash everything angle but your going to be forced to keep some players. Sitton a Wake James or even Quinn. Danny A could stay also.

I dont see all these players being jettisoned. Jones can leave anytime- I agree with BobDole.

Still think as great as Laremy was last year, we absolutely need to take that extra year to see him continue to make gains (on and off the field) before making him a top paid LT. 2nd level 5th year option is a great tool to have for us . . . .you can open up discussion to see how discounted u can get him this early but I am in no rush here.

As for X, you absolutely want to get him done early. I think an early extension should mean less than $15 million AAV for Miami. With his injury history I can let this play out into 2020 with the tag as well . . . .Miami doesn't need to bend over for him. Scratch his back by paying him early and he needs to consider 5/75 the ceiling for getting paid early.

And if you get offered a 1st for X . . . Your ears need to be open.

For anyone not knowing, Ballage has a ton of upside. The kid is in his rookie year and was stashed and showed as much promise as Ajayi and Drake did their rookie seasons. And we all know how Gase hated to play rookies. The main reason I think Leveon Bell will never play for us is because of how good Ballage could be.
Ballage may, or may not, be a great player. We haven't seen nearly enough to make that judgment.

I'm certainly not a pro Gase guy, but he did the right thing with KB. The kid showed in his limited reps that his pass blocking skills were not up to NFL standards. Look at all the film. Not just highlights.

I'm not saying he won't be good, just that he wasn't ready. It is likely just as much failure by the coaches to teach the young man, as it was anything else.

I think you're going to see contracts for corners far surpass the current number. I was talking with CK briefly on Twitter a few weeks ago and he was of the assumption it could be closer to $20M a year if I'm not mistaken.

The only way X gets 20 million a year is if it is used as an extension. Say 4 years and 79 million . . . .on top of the million dollar base he gets this year, essentially making him ours for the next 5 years at 80 million . . . . Or 16 million AAV.

He ain’t getting no ripped up deal and a flat 5/100. If I am Miami and thats the stance I am perfectly fine watching him prove his health and tagging if necessary. It will take a few years before that base hits $20 million on the tag.

Interesting thread.

Strange not to see Sitton cut though. Unless we are going to be contenders, what's the point in paying big money to a 33 year old (when the season starts) guard coming off a major injury

Though I 100% agree with extending both James and Tunsil. Your James figure may be a bit low

Last edited:
As I said before, I get the slash everything angle but your going to be forced to keep some players. Sitton a Wake James or even Quinn. Danny A could stay also.

I dont see all these players being jettisoned. Jones can leave anytime- I agree with BobDole.

I just don't agree, why do we need to keep any of them? I'd cut or trade every player mentioned except James. What's the point in keeping them, this team is years away from being competitive and when we are Jones, Wake, Sitton, Amendola etc won't be here anyway. Why bother wasting cap and snaps on declining short term vets when the foundation is rotten.

Jones is still a high end player but he is also 30 and our defensive roster is a mess. If you can get a decent pick for him and save cap, why not try find a young piece who will still be here by the time the entire DL etc has been overhauled.

Last edited:
I would absolutely trade Reshad if at all possible. No question.

But I think the more likely scenario is Miami rolls with Jones/TJ/X/Minkah/McCain for another year. Truth be told when they were healthy, it wasn’t a bad nickel lineup . . . Outside of the communication issues.

i also think the Baker/McMillan/Alonso trio remains

Miami needs to get dynamic front 7 guys in this draft. . . . .and there are tons of them.

And honestly I expect them to keep both Sitton and Kilgore. Their contracts, though attractive from a small “dead cap” perspective . . . Lack guaranteed money and that is attractive instead of creating holes and having to fill them with guys that would likely required upfront funds.

The decision on Juwan is easily the most pressing “non QB” one. I want him back but Miami should not handle this with desperation. Guy is hurt significantly every other year . . . He has no business getting paid like a elite OL.

Back
Top Bottom