Scott Pioli on Hunter Long | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Scott Pioli on Hunter Long

Sounds like he will be a good blocker and finds a way to get open enough on the short to mid routes. I want to resign M. Gesicki as his ceiling is still very high in my eyes and love the thought of two good TE's on the field in a shotgun formation with either a Power Back or Speed Back. That would have Parker and Waddle ready for the deep shots. I think Parker is one of the better Jump Ball / Contested Catch WRs in the NFL.

If our top 2 BIG WRs stay healthy and we can rotate in a breather attack shot with Long as the back-up TE to setup playaction deep shots... we could have some very LONG scores this year. Parker & Williams with Waddle running the slot... I like Tua's options at WR. We have depth players that will have some say on how the games go from time to time. Fuller will be fighting hard to take William's spot on the field with Parker & Waddle. RB's have that chip on the shoulder approach... lower ranked guys that get to show how bad they want it. We could have a really good offense this year vs some good defenses. Our defense will look to help the offense once again this year... Coach'em up and get this team ready for a playoff run!

Love those draft days... feels optisimatic and just waiting for the season!

Admittedly, I was surprised by the pick but after looking at the kid, I’m excited. Lots of Dolphin fans are upset with how our draft went after the 1st round, but I’m pretty damn happy. Here’s how I view our Top 5 picks:

Waddle- It’s probably fair to say that Waddle is seen as the best big-play guy in the entire draft. He can literally score ANY time he touches the football. IMO, that’s HUGE for us because it’s been a really long time since Miami has had somebody like this on the roster.

Phillips- We’ve all heard multiple draft analysts proclaim that Phillips is the best pass rusher in the draft. I’m thrilled Miami was able to get him at 18.

Holland- A lot of draft gurus love this kid. Most of them will tell you that we got the best Safety in the draft. I heard one guy say he thinks he’s the best Defensive player in the draft and another that said regardless of where Holland gets picked, he’ll be the steal of the draft. I’m in PAC 12 country and saw too much of Holland making play after play against my beloved Utes during his 2 years at Oregon. He’s just one of those Defenders that’s seems to be involved in EVERY play. In all honesty, I think this guy could be seen as our best pick of this draft in a couple of years. I firmly believe he’s our future All-Pro Safety.

Eichenberg- Not a sexy pick, and will have an uphill battle with disgruntled Dolphin fans due to the trade-up, but I think this guy is gonna be our immediate plug-and-play at RT, which was definitely a need for Miami.

Long- Caught me off guard, but makes sense on a few levels. First of all, us Dolphin fans have bemoaned the fact that Tua doesn’t have enough weapons. So Miami drafts a pass catcher in the 3rd round and Dolphin fans get pissed? Bottom line is that this kid adds another weapon to our Offense, serves as some insurance should somebody decide to overpay for Gesecki this offseason, and was considered to be one of the top 3 or 4 TE prospects in the entire draft. He’s a good pick any way you slice it.

Overall, I think Miami did a really nice job this weekend. Don’t get me wrong, there were some misses. Watching Denver jump ahead of us and snag Williams was gut-wrenching and it would have been nice to have been able to grab a Center- most notably, Meinerz.

That being said, I do think that our first 5 picks will be Day 1 contributors and add some big time elements that were missing last year on a Miami team that won 10 games. Oh, and 1 more thing on the Waddle selection: I’m REALLY hoping that our Front Office feels that Waddle isn’t an Albert Wilson replacement. The thought of Miami going 4-wide with Waddle and Wilson in the slots is giving me goosebumps already. This passing Offense could become an absolute monster in ‘21.

Pitts will be quality. I do think hes wasted in Atlanta but it is what it is.
I've watched some tape on Hunter. He can catch. He ripped off a 70yd plus TD. He could be very decent if the chips fall for him and the Phins.
I also commented yesterday if Pitts early career will be wasted in Atlanta.

I also commented yesterday if Pitts early career will be wasted in Atlanta.
I do think being an early draft pick usually means you are going to a team that generally sucks. Atlantas Defense isn't great which means their Offense will probably not be on the field as much as their Defense.
Waddle hit the jackpot because Phins are already borderline playoffs.

Admittedly, I was surprised by the pick but after looking at the kid, I’m excited. Lots of Dolphin fans are upset with how our draft went after the 1st round, but I’m pretty damn happy. Here’s how I view our Top 5 picks:

Waddle- It’s probably fair to say that Waddle is seen as the best big-play guy in the entire draft. He can literally score ANY time he touches the football. IMO, that’s HUGE for us because it’s been a really long time since Miami has had somebody like this on the roster.

Phillips- We’ve all heard multiple draft analysts proclaim that Phillips is the best pass rusher in the draft. I’m thrilled Miami was able to get him at 18.

Holland- A lot of draft gurus love this kid. Most of them will tell you that we got the best Safety in the draft. I heard one guy say he thinks he’s the best Defensive player in the draft and another that said regardless of where Holland gets picked, he’ll be the steal of the draft. I’m in PAC 12 country and saw too much of Holland making play after play against my beloved Utes during his 2 years at Oregon. He’s just one of those Defenders that’s seems to be involved in EVERY play. In all honesty, I think this guy could be seen as our best pick of this draft in a couple of years. I firmly believe he’s our future All-Pro Safety.

Eichenberg- Not a sexy pick, and will have an uphill battle with disgruntled Dolphin fans due to the trade-up, but I think this guy is gonna be our immediate plug-and-play at RT, which was definitely a need for Miami.

Long- Caught me off guard, but makes sense on a few levels. First of all, us Dolphin fans have bemoaned the fact that Tua doesn’t have enough weapons. So Miami drafts a pass catcher in the 3rd round and Dolphin fans get pissed? Bottom line is that this kid adds another weapon to our Offense, serves as some insurance should somebody decide to overpay for Gesecki this offseason, and was considered to be one of the top 3 or 4 TE prospects in the entire draft. He’s a good pick any way you slice it.

Overall, I think Miami did a really nice job this weekend. Don’t get me wrong, there were some misses. Watching Denver jump ahead of us and snag Williams was gut-wrenching and it would have been nice to have been able to grab a Center- most notably, Meinerz.

That being said, I do think that our first 5 picks will be Day 1 contributors and add some big time elements that were missing last year on a Miami team that won 10 games. Oh, and 1 more thing on the Waddle selection: I’m REALLY hoping that our Front Office feels that Waddle isn’t an Albert Wilson replacement. The thought of Miami going 4-wide with Waddle and Wilson in the slots is giving me goosebumps already. This passing Offense could become an absolute monster in ‘21.
Loved your write-up.

The thing about Waddle is he's not just an explosive speed receiver. He tracks the ball well, runs good routes, is tough, catches in a crowd. In other words, he's the entire package. I am so excited to see him in Miami.

The Dolphins went from bottom third in the league at wide receiver, to potentially top third with the free agent signing of Fuller and drafting Waddle.

I really wanted Williams, but if Miami prioritized him they had the picks to make it happen. Especially when you see Grier aggressively trading up for Eichenberg.

Center is interesting. There's a part of me that wonders if Flores likes Deiter there. He played pretty well in limited snaps. Miami had opportunities to get a center and passed.

As to Holland, fantastic pick. Missing on Williams didn't hurt so much after that.

Can't wait for the season now.

Back
Top Bottom