Senior Bowl Week | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Senior Bowl Week

You watch him and his post-snap reads are good, his discipline looking downfield is good, he doesn't lead with the eyes, he's quite elusive in the pocket, the arm is good. He just throws way too many bad passes where he hasn't set his feet at all - he has this horrible tendency of almost jumping in the air as he lets it go. It look very correctable and behind that is a diamond of a QB who's just in a ****ty system and who broke his leg.

I'd take him over a lot of QBs in this draft. In fact, given where I'd get him, I'm not sure if I'd take anyone else.

Edit: Obviously, as you say, there's more work than just his feet, but the feet are the aspect of his that let him down today. In a pro offense, clearly there's a ton more for him to upgrade, but I don't see him being incapable of it.

Why do I get the feeling like Tyler Lockett will outperform most of the #1's in year one?

James Walker ‏@JamesWalkerNFL 38m38 minutes ago
#SeniorBowl players who stood out to me in Day 2: DT Danny Shelton, TE Clive Walford, WR Phillip Dorsett, TE Nick Boyle, FB Tyler Varga.

James Walker ‏@JamesWalkerNFL 1h1 hour ago
#Hurricanes WR Phillip Dorsett on #Dolphins: "I’m a big Dolphin fan. I watch them every Sunday. I never miss a game. It would be an honor."

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley 3h3 hours ago
Add Phillip Dorsett to the list of Hurricanes eyed by the Dolphins. They had a sit down this week.

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 3h3 hours ago Mobile, AL
#Canes TE Clive Walford, used primarily as a blocker yesterday, has been tearing it up in Senior Bowl practice today. Caught a TD.

At least the Dolphins are mtg. with UM players, not sure how much real interest there is or not.

Players that have been confirmed to have met with Fins: Denzel Perryman, Phillip Dorsett, Devin Smith, Garrett Grayson, Danny Shelton. I've heard rumors of others but not sure.

Coates starts the game doing what I saw from Him all season.

Out of position, trAcks the ball late, pushes off and gets flagged, ball goes right through his hands.

David Johnson probably not going to be under talked about anymore after that run. Showing he can get outside and has the power to finish.

Mayock just put Dorsett as a possible 1st rnd player...

Interesting

And Cobb would be a perfect RB for us, passing on Gordon is becoming easier and easier As the draft approaches. Although I still really would like him.

There was so many bad looking football players in that senior bowl week and game I lost count

Abdullah is strong as hell for a guy his size.

Explosive...but that hand size and all those fumbles is a concern...liked what I saw from david Johnson..good feet nice routes as a pass receiver...not sure about pass pro but carries that 226 very well...running style a little upright though...

Sammie coates route running sucks...nothing else really to say...he has to know you don't take it vertical inside and then take it back outside with the ball in the air...the ball is out of the qbs hand he sees you take an inside vertical stem off your release and he's gonna throw it there...sold the qb out...his underneath route running needs a start over...no way I'd touch that project at 14

He thinks he's better than he is too...I can't wait 2 years for that to develop and hope it does...not if I'm Miami

Not a difference making mike lb to be found anywhere on the field...in the game the most instinctual was probably pullard but he's undersized and can't cover his own shadow even...absolutely nothing that can help us at mike

I'd give my pick to charity before I used it on any of those qbs...in any round

Last edited by a moderator:
* Clemmings looked completely different today than in the season finale versus the Canes. In that game Pittsburgh dominated on the ground so all of Clemmings' strengths were magnified. Today I saw some of the flaws. He can't pass protect right now on the pro level. It would be sad. Plays narrow and loses balance. I agree with hoops that he looks more natural as a left tackle. Played both sides today -- right tackle in the first half, left in the second. Huge frame. Not everything perfectly coordinated right now. His arms are so long he often struggles to use them correctly. Gets them stuck inside too frequently inside of creating a freakish span. It reminds me of a heavyweight boxer who knows he's supposed to throw jabs, but has no idea how to do it. Clemmings supplies a great effort and is quick off the mark, particularly going forward. He can really neutralize an opponent in run blocking even when he doesn't execute perfectly. Naturally strong. Interesting prospect. Kind of the opposite of Ju'Waun James, even though they figure to be drafted in roughly the same range. Clemmings has higher upside but he's not close to as polished a pass blocker as James was early last season

* In October I attended William and Mary vs. Delaware in Williamsburg, two days after watching the Canes dismantle Virginia Tech in Blacksburg. I sat in the Delaware section. Very impressive knowledgeable fans. They told me that their tight end was very good, but having a frustrating season because the quarterback had tailed off so badly from the prior year. That tight end flashed athleticism a couple of times today, although he did miss an option read that nearly resulted in an interception. William and Mary had a kick returner and wide receiver who was a cut above that league. I'm not sure if he was a senior.

* Looks like a great year to take a running back in maybe the 3rd or 4th round and pick up value that would equate to a round earlier most years. Normally I don't like adjustments like that but with ultra deep positions it tends to pay off, especially if it's an offensive skill position. For some reason the supposed depth doesn't always pan out at spots like cornerback.

* I want to love Shelton. For some reason I don't. Too often at Washington I saw him get there but fail to use his hands correctly and make the play. That showed up again here.

* Worthless quarterbacks. Really detracts from the game in general. I never trust the East Carolina kid. Great numbers and winning record. Don't care. Too erratic and not dependable. For example, when he took over with a couple of minutes remaining after Virginia Tech rallied from 21-0 down to tie the game, it looked like a classic case of either way. He could summon a clutch drive and save the game or totally give it away. He happened to be the hero that day, flashing the Pirates down the field in a few plays

* I don't doubt that Holliday could emerge above this crop of seniors. I despise Mike Leach, other than salivating at every opportunity to bet against him, particularly when he's short underdog. This year that was gold several times, when USC, Arizona and Washington all went into Pullman and shattered Leach's pathetic pantyhose passing team as small road chalk. In 2013 Stanford -8.5 at Pullman was my biggest play of the year, and a laugher. Holliday always concerned me just enough, until the comical imbalance caused him to get beat up, and sometimes nearly incapable of continuing. In fact, the 2014 game at Stanford was almost sad at the end, like a boxer whose corner should have thrown in the towel three rounds earlier. See the 2013 bowl game against Colorado State, particularly the first half, for how effective Holliday can be when healthy and throwing downfield.

* Phillip Dorsett is so sooth, and scary fast. There were some games when he'd be at a 400 yard pace early. Much better deep threat than Travis Benjamin. Some drop issues two years ago as a sophomore, particularly at Notre Dame. He learned how to judge the ball more effectively. Still doesn't run a wide variety of routes. Mostly go or deep sideline. As always, it doesn't mean he can't do everything. Canes coaches simply might have blown it. The wide receiver usage in particular makes no sense. Dorsett would dominate some games and seldom be thrown to in others. An extreme talent in Stacy Coley had a ridiculously disappointing sophomore year. There's another guy named Herb Waters who is clever but not very fast. He could star on many teams but week to week you never knew if he'd even be out there

* Gunter is scrappy. I always thought his technique reminded me of Sam Shields, just not nearly as fast or as quick to look for the ball. Definitely things to work with, even if it's backup corner material. He maintains sensible knee bend, positioning and distance, and doesn't bite on cheap double moves. As others have posted, Canes defenders are so difficult to evaluate, given all the zone coverage and extremely passive read and react scheme on the front wall.

* I didn't get a chance to watch the practices. Taped them for later. BTW, I don't recommend either Brazilian Pepper trees or Sprenger's Asparagus vines if you live in South Florida or anywhere nearby. Royal nuisance pain in the rear. I've spent all week trying to get rid of them. For a decent handicapper you would think I could have figured out that those cracks in my pool patio had to source from concealed roots from that damn pepper tree, and not via all the other guesses I received from neighbors and supposed experts, like jackhammering on the Palmetto Expressway several miles away.

Explosive...but that hand size and all those fumbles is a concern...liked what I saw from david Johnson..good feet nice routes as a pass receiver...not sure about pass pro but carries that 226 very well...running style a little upright though...

Sammie coates route running sucks...nothing else really to say...he has to know you don't take it vertical inside and then take it back outside with the ball in the air...the ball is out of the qbs hand he sees you take an inside vertical stem off your release and he's gonna throw it there...sold the qb out...his underneath route running needs a start over...no way I'd touch that project at 14

He thinks he's better than he is too...I can't wait 2 years for that to develop and hope it does...not if I'm Miami

Abdullahs draft stock will be determined by his ability to block, he's too good for his small hands to hold him back IMO. I have him as a second rnd talent.

And yeah we agree about Coates 100%, quite frankly he's just not good IMO.

* Clemmings looked completely different today than in the season finale versus the Canes. In that game Pittsburgh dominated on the ground so all of Clemmings' strengths were magnified. Today I saw some of the flaws. He can't pass protect right now on the pro level. It would be sad. Plays narrow and loses balance. I agree with hoops that he looks more natural as a left tackle. Played both sides today -- right tackle in the first half, left in the second. Huge frame. Not everything perfectly coordinated right now. His arms are so long he often struggles to use them correctly. Gets them stuck inside too frequently inside of creating a freakish span. It reminds me of a heavyweight boxer who knows he's supposed to throw jabs, but has no idea how to do it. Clemmings supplies a great effort and is quick off the mark, particularly going forward. He can really neutralize an opponent in run blocking even when he doesn't execute perfectly. Naturally strong. Interesting prospect. Kind of the opposite of Ju'Waun James, even though they figure to be drafted in roughly the same range. Clemmings has higher upside but he's not close to as polished a pass blocker as James was early last season

* I want to love Shelton. For some reason I don't. Too often at Washington I saw him get there but fail to use his hands correctly and make the play. That showed up again here.

It's hard to get a real read on Clemmings, his performances constantly contradict one another.

It really worried me that when Slaton weighed in for the senior bowl, he celebrated weighing in the 340s, which is low for him. One lazy off season and this guy can probably balloon up to 380 in no time. He's young and active, wait until hes rich and can afford any food he wants anytime he wants.

Back
Top Bottom