Should We Panic? | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should We Panic?

Belichick on Bess (via ESPN Boston), “He’s quick, he’s got good speed, he’s got good hands, he’s a smart route runner, he’s got explosive one-step quickness, he’s a hard guy to tackle, he’s strong. He has good balance, he’s a hard guy to match up with one-on-one, he can catch, and he’s obviously smart. He does a lot of different things, different positions, put him in motion, time him up on different releases, crossing routes, pick patterns, option routes, things like that. He’s a good player.”

Oh snap: got em! Bess was a whack job. Nice try, comparison a bit off though.

Last edited:
Oh snap: got em! Bess was a whack job. Nice try, comparison though a bit off though.

We're not the ones making similar comments about the two. Belichick was.

You know...one of the best and least spoken coaches of all time.

Oh snap: got em! Bess was a whack job. Nice try, comparison though a bit off though.
Not sure you're quite getting my point. As @The Goat says above, we're pointing out the folly of you using Belichick as proof that Landry is great. Fair enough if you believe it, and it looks like the Cleveland top brass agree also.

But some of us feel he was a decent player, who was just massively overpaid. I don't think we're going to miss him as much as some people do. His targets will be spread around. More concerning to me is that our OL plays well and gives Tannehill time to spread said targets around.

That and our D holds up. I think it'll be our D who struggle this year, again.

He also said this:

Belichick on Bess (via ESPN Boston), “He’s quick, he’s got good speed, he’s got good hands, he’s a smart route runner, he’s got explosive one-step quickness, he’s a hard guy to tackle, he’s strong. He has good balance, he’s a hard guy to match up with one-on-one, he can catch, and he’s obviously smart. He does a lot of different things, different positions, put him in motion, time him up on different releases, crossing routes, pick patterns, option routes, things like that. He’s a good player.”

Sound familiar? How did that work out?

Bess was a very good player, one of the best slot WR's in the NFL for a few years. Then drugs happened :wacky, but still a very good player in his prime, especially for an undrafted player.

Bess was a very good player, one of the best slot WR's in the NFL for a few years. Then drugs happened, but still a very good player in his prime.

I was a big fan. I actually have his jersey. My point is that slot receivers are more replaceable than #1 receivers. And I am of the opinion that Landry earned what he got, and good for him that he got paid. But I am not going to crap all over the Dolphins for not overpaying him.

And he got overpaid.

I was a big fan. I actually have his jersey. My point is that slot receivers are more replaceable than #1 receivers. And I am of the opinion that Landry earned what he got, and good for him that he got paid. But I am not going to crap all over the Dolphins for not overpaying him.

And he got overpaid.

Me too, and I agree. My point being Bess actually worked out really well for an undrafted player, f****** drugs lol.

On the other side I submit Rashad Jones, Bobby McCain and Ryan Tannehill. All three players drafted on their 2nd contract. I call them all good players although I bet you don't

I’m glad you brought this up. So you agree they should resign their good players, yet I get push back on that point. Those 3 are good players and I’m glad they were resigned. They haven’t had to spend a pick on a QB or S to fill those two positions in a long time and it will be another 4 years before they need to fill McCain’s role. Should have done that with Landry, Vernon, Pouncy, Clay, Miller, Sims and even Taylor would be solid depth. Adding Gesicki this year as Clay is entering his declining years gives him a year or two to develop like most TEs need. As they get older they restructure contracts, improve depth develop their young players, and hedge risk of injuries.

Last edited:

And he got overpaid.

Not crapping on them. Just don’t think they’re as good as most in here.

In your opinion who on the Dolphins is over paid right now?

Last edited:
I’m glad you brought this up. So you agree they should resign their good players, yet I get push back on that point. Those 3 are good players and I’m glad they were resigned. They haven’t had to spend a pick on a QB or S to fill those two positions in a long time and it will be another 4 years before they need to fill McCain’s role. Should have done that with Landry, Vernon, Pouncy, Clay, Miller, Sims and even Taylor would be solid depth. Adding Gesicki this year as Clay is entering his declining years gives him a year or two to develop like most TEs need. As they get older they restructure contracts, improve depth and hedge risk of injuries.

The Dolphins would have been idiots to match Vernon's contract with the Giants.

And here's the cool thing: You and I have NO IDEA what was attempted with Landry and him before they ended up with ridiculous contracts on other teams.

All in all, which of the players performed up to the contracts they got? Certainly not Vernon. Not Clay. Maybe Lamar Miller? Pouncey and Landry TBD.

The Dolphins would have been idiots to match Vernon's contract with the Giants.

And here's the cool thing: You and I have NO IDEA what was attempted with Landry and him before they ended up with ridiculous contracts on other teams.

All in all, which of the players performed up to the contracts they got? Certainly not Vernon. Not Clay. Maybe Lamar Miller? Pouncey and Landry TBD.

They went to different teams. Different schemes, coaching styles, supporting casts, etc etc... tough to say how they would do if resigned. If you’re point is valid and I tend to believe it isn’t, then why not say RT and Jones got big contracts to stay and they’re working out; so Landry and the others would have too?

They went to different teams. Different schemes, coaching styles, supporting casts, etc etc... tough to say how they would do if resigned. If you’re point is valid and I tend to believe it isn’t, then why not say RT and Jones got big contracts to stay and they’re working out; so Landry and the others would have too?

Because I'm not going to deal in hypotheticals. All we have to go on is the players who left, how much they got, and how they performed where they went.

I’m glad you brought this up. So you agree they should resign their good players, yet I get push back on that point. Those 3 are good players and I’m glad they were resigned. They haven’t had to spend a pick on a QB or S to fill those two positions in a long time and it will be another 4 years before they need to fill McCain’s role. Should have done that with Landry, Vernon, Pouncy, Clay, Miller, Sims and even Taylor would be solid depth. Adding Gesicki this year as Clay is entering his declining years gives him a year or two to develop like most TEs need. As they get older they restructure contracts, improve depth and hedge risk of injuries.
I do agree with re-signing quality younger players, it's the lifeblood of a franchise. however, you can't and shouldn't re-sign everyone. Miller, Vernon and even this year with Parkey didn't make sense to sign because of cost. Do you think Vernon is the best 4-3 DE in the league? He's getting paid like he is. Miller is getting top-5 RB money for 3 TDs and 3.7 ypc, Charles Clay is getting top 5 money and scored all of 2 TDs last year.

Back
Top Bottom