Should We Panic? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should We Panic?

Why you showing the drafts from a failed GM and HC.

The past 2 drafts have been stellar in terms of value and impact (potentially impact I should say) players. The only player on the list that deserved a 2nd contract was Tannehill and his was well below market value for QBs.

Some can argue Landry, but I’m not trying to tie resources up to a guy that doesn’t break a defense down or demand the type of respect from defensive coaches weekly. Maybe Parker can but I doubt that as well.

Read my previous posts on this thread. Your answers might be in there.

Belichick double teamed Landry. Other teams had to focus on landry too to take him out of the game. Opposing D’a tied up time during the week to scheme for Landry. Hopefully it’s Drake going forward, or maybe Parker. Just not expecting it is all.

I’m only coming up with 12. 6 on both sides.
the non-drafted starters I have are Sitton, Kilgore and Stills on offense and Alonzo, Wake with Spence on D(shoot, that's 16, lol)
at any rate, I see a team predominantly built on the draft and I would guess similar to many successful teams
I think you touched on the real problem earlier, it's who their drafting, not how many

Just before TC you got 15 drafted starters.

Tunsil
James
Davis
Parker
Drake
Tannehill
Gesicki

Godchaux
Phillips
Raekwon
Howard
Lippet
McCain
Jones
Fitzpatrick

Davis wasn’t drafted by Miami. Lippit is behind Tank, Howard and McCain. I missed Phillips.

So 13 total. 1 more than I said

Davis wasn’t drafted by Miami. Lippit is behind Tank, Howard and McCain. I missed Phillips.

So 13 total. 1 more than I said

Lippett is behind Tank, who was also drafted by Miami.

I forgot Davis wasn’t drafted by Miami. So wouldn’t that make it 14 lol, and depending on how TC goes there could be 1-2 more defensive players starting. Harris could surprise and Baker (doubt it) could take the Will. Starters aren’t what’s most important, most of the depth is drafted guys too. Miami is filled with drafted talent. Question is can they perform well.

Lippett is behind Tank, who was also drafted by Miami.

I forgot Davis wasn’t drafted by Miami. So wouldn’t that make it 14 lol, and depending on how TC goes there could be 1-2 more defensive players starting. Harris could surprise and Baker (doubt it) could take the Will. Starters aren’t what’s most important, most of the depth is drafted guys too. Miami is filled with drafted talent. Question is can they perform well.

Some positions have 'starters,' but others get significant snaps (e.g., DT, DE). While I understand the focus on 'starters,' fans shouldn't overlook those who are an integral part of the team.
I'm still not in "panic." I expect good things from a number of new/returning players and from coaches. I'm not predicting a playoff spot, but 4 wins is too low. I'm excited to see how all the new pieces fit together and how players drafted in '17 and '18 work out.

Some positions have 'starters,' but others get significant snaps (e.g., DT, DE). While I understand the focus on 'starters,' fans shouldn't overlook those who are an integral part of the team.
I'm still not in "panic." I expect good things from a number of new/returning players and from coaches. I'm not predicting a playoff spot, but 4 wins is too low. I'm excited to see how all the new pieces fit together and how players drafted in '17 and '18 work out.

No doubt, but if this regime doesn’t change then these 2 drafts will go to waste. Not to mention Harris was a 1st rd pick and isn’t expected to start.

Last edited:
There is no reason to panic.

Training camp hasn't started. You're going to spend the whole summer in a panic ?

14 of 22 is far from his point that almost all starters were drafted. Regardless, my post was regarding resigning the good ones. Not quality of the draft.
I assume you are talking about Ajayi and Landry when you mention not resigning the "good" ones. Ajayi was easily replaced last year. I believe that no one we have now is as good as Landry individually, but Amendola, Wilson with Gesicki will provide great options in the short passing game that will combine for similar, maybe even higher production. Plus, $15 million to Landry would have prevented signing guys like Sitton and Gore who are already paying dividends in a way Landry never could(or would). We have 3 non-drafted starters on the O-line but what drafted players should we have kept for those spots? I don't think it's a lack of desire to resign drafted players, there's just not enough drafted players worth keeping.

I assume you are talking about Ajayi and Landry when you mention not resigning the "good" ones. Ajayi was easily replaced last year. I believe that no one we have now is as good as Landry individually, but Amendola, Wilson with Gesicki will provide great options in the short passing game that will combine for similar, maybe even higher production. Plus, $15 million to Landry would have prevented signing guys like Sitton and Gore who are already paying dividends in a way Landry never could(or would). We have 3 non-drafted starters on the O-line but what drafted players should we have kept for those spots? I don't think it's a lack of desire to resign drafted players, there's just not enough drafted players worth keeping.

When you don’t resign your good picks, you have to spend early picks to replace them instead of upgrading other positions. It also forces a team to take shots on guys in the 4th, 5th and 6th. Those late rd picks rarely pan out. Would be wiser to trade them for a rd early next year. Repeating that cycle each year holds the build process back. Missing on a pick in the first 3 rds is a mess, but letting the good ones walk is even worse.

Back
Top Bottom