Should We Panic? | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should We Panic?

I assume you are talking about Ajayi and Landry when you mention not resigning the "good" ones. Ajayi was easily replaced last year.l.

Replaced Miller with Ajayi. Replaced Ajayi with Drake. Vernon, was another one. Arguably Jamar Taylor but I’m probably stretching it there. My thought with Taylor is the alternatives are better but not greatly. Just can’t afford to miss and worse to let the ones you hit on walk.

Replaced Miller with Ajayi. Replaced Ajayi with Drake. Vernon, was another one. Arguably Jamar Taylor but I’m probably stretching it there. My thought with Taylor is the alternatives are better but not greatly. Just can’t afford to miss and worse to let the ones you hit on walk.
Actually Ajayi was replaced first by Williams then Drake, and really, if he's that easily replaced, how much is he worth? Vernon is the highest paid 4-3 DE in the NFL and tied for 46th in sacks last year, you're right- Jamar Taylor is stretching it. These are not good examples of "letting the good ones go"

ive seen it all.

Jarvis Landry caused DCs to focus on him all week long, ya know just one of the most inefficient WRs and a guy who was at the bottom of the league in facing top corners.

But man those defensive guys were really worried about him.

L.M.A.O

When you don’t resign your good picks, you have to spend early picks to replace them instead of upgrading other positions. It also forces a team to take shots on guys in the 4th, 5th and 6th. Those late rd picks rarely pan out. Would be wiser to trade them for a rd early next year. Repeating that cycle each year holds the build process back. Missing on a pick in the first 3 rds is a mess, but letting the good ones walk is even worse.

I agree, but there are shades of gray. At what point do teams stop resigning "good" players? After missing 19 games in 3 years? When their production declines? And how does a team determine 'too much' money for resigning? Miami apparently thought resigning Landry was 'too much.' Were they right? And not just Miami. Every year multiple teams let "good" players go. Every good player has a shelf life. Full disclosure; I don't see Ajayi as being hard to replace.
And every year, teams let good players go who are pedestrian on the new team. It's common. In hindsight, was the team losing a player unwise for not keeping talent? And it's unrealistic, IMO, to resign EVERY good player. There are cap reasons teams (not just Miami) don't do that.
Again, back to topic, Miami is closer to optimism than panic. Every returning injured player will not be re-inured. Look at it this way . . . if Gesicki, Baker, Fitz, Davis, Kilgore, and McMillan end up being average players, those are better than last year's starters. And it just takes a couple of James, Tunsil, Quinn, Harris, and Tank to get better to have significant upgrades. Throw in, without evidence, I expect a reduction in pre-snap penalties and missed assignments, and I see a better Dolphin team. Is all the above a guarantee? Certainly not, which is why discussion s of this type go on forever.

ive seen it all.

Jarvis Landry caused DCs to focus on him all week long, ya know just one of the most inefficient WRs and a guy who was at the bottom of the league in facing top corners.

But man those defensive guys were really worried about him.

L.M.A.O

And when Hartline was a Dolphin, teams focused on him as the best receiver. I'm not saying Hartline was as good as Landry, but 'focus' doesn't equate to 'top.'

And when Hartline was a Dolphin, teams focused on him as the best receiver. I'm not saying Hartline was as good as Landry, but 'focus' doesn't equate to 'top.'

Exactly.

I liked Jarvis, I really did, but this rabid fan base that hypes him up to be something he’s not really gets under my skin.

Actually Ajayi was replaced first by Williams then Drake, and really, if he's that easily replaced, how much is he worth? Vernon is the highest paid 4-3 DE in the NFL and tied for 46th in sacks last year, you're right- Jamar Taylor is stretching it. These are not good examples of "letting the good ones go"

They’re the only good players, aside fr the others mentioned, Miami has drafted.

They’re the only good players, aside fr the others mentioned, Miami has drafted.
On the other side I submit Rashad Jones, Bobby McCain and Ryan Tannehill. All three players drafted on their 2nd contract. I call them all good players although I bet you don't

giphy.gif

5C6D73DF-4676-4F00-A18D-6C3137BCA359.png

Coming from one of the best and least spoken coaches of all time.

View attachment 12737

He also said this:

Belichick on Bess (via ESPN Boston), “He’s quick, he’s got good speed, he’s got good hands, he’s a smart route runner, he’s got explosive one-step quickness, he’s a hard guy to tackle, he’s strong. He has good balance, he’s a hard guy to match up with one-on-one, he can catch, and he’s obviously smart. He does a lot of different things, different positions, put him in motion, time him up on different releases, crossing routes, pick patterns, option routes, things like that. He’s a good player.”

Sound familiar? How did that work out?

View attachment 12737

Belichick on Bess (via ESPN Boston), “He’s quick, he’s got good speed, he’s got good hands, he’s a smart route runner, he’s got explosive one-step quickness, he’s a hard guy to tackle, he’s strong. He has good balance, he’s a hard guy to match up with one-on-one, he can catch, and he’s obviously smart. He does a lot of different things, different positions, put him in motion, time him up on different releases, crossing routes, pick patterns, option routes, things like that. He’s a good player.”

He also said this:

How did that work out?
You beat me to it.

He's a coach, who gets asked questions before he faces a team. What's he going to say? "Bess / Landry? They're rubbish. Don't rate them at all." Sure. Give them more fuel.

No offense, but whatever you think about Landry, saying that any coach says they're good / bad, is more or less meaningless. Bill didn't exactly think Jarvis was so good that he even looked at negotiating to sign him.

You beat me to it.

He's a coach, who gets asked questions before he faces a team. What's he going to say? "Bess / Landry? They're rubbish. Don't rate them at all." Sure. Give them more fuel.

No offense, but whatever you think about Landry, saying that any coach says they're good / bad, is more or less meaningless. Bill didn't exactly think Jarvis was so good that he even looked at negotiating to sign him.

He is regularly very complimentary of opposing players.

Back
Top Bottom