Should Xavien be traded for draft capital? | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should Xavien be traded for draft capital?

All that and not a peep about X injury history and games missed. That’s amazing!

But the Dolphins are the ones wrong for protecting themselves by bringing in resources.

Wowo!
Bingo.

I say strike while the iron is hot. I thought we screwed up by not trading X a couple years when his value was at his peak and then he played like crap/"injured" in 2019. He balled out in 2020, take advantage and at least get a 1st round pick for him in return.

I've said it many times, elite CBs get traded, leave free agency ALL the time, the best CBs have all played for multiple teams in their careers because that position is seen as replaceable. But you know what position isn't so easy to replace? We are still looking for our Dan Marino replacement who played his entire career with one team. Gaining more draft capital would be good insurance if Tua fails or gets hurt. We could use that draft capital to either get Watson, Rodgers or trade up for someone in the draft.

If he holds firm on the contract demands then yes. At least play 1 moore season healthy before making a demand.
Agreed. Plus you don’t trade a guy for picks now not knowing where those picks will be and not to mention he’s your best player and you want to make the playoffs. He has four years on that deal and little leverage as a result. I’d be fine with them upping the guarantees in his deal or converting the money to a three year deal or something of that ilk but really, four years left...not a great precedent if you cave.

The only issue with this is that X hasn't been that good in all the other stats that are important for CBs including tackles and games played. If last year was an anomaly as it relates to INTs he ends up falling out of the top 10 CBs in the league in career stats. Definitely not worth more money this year...

Now if he can get 10 picks this year let's talk about making X the highest paid corner in the league....again...
That statement is like throwing crap against the wall and hoping it sticks. It doesn't. Can you provide a link showing how many tackles Howard missed?

Xavien HowardP, Miami Dolphins

Xavien HowardP enjoyed a season for the ages as one of the lynchpins of the Miami Dolphins defense. Quarterbacks found little success when looking his way in 2020, with targets in his direction earning the passers a rating of just 51.4. This was No.1 among all cornerbacks. Howard took the term “coverage” to bold extremes, allowing (if that’s the right word) 0.68 (No. 2) yards of average Target Separation.

Howard ranked No. 6 in both Coverage Rating (+47.6) and Catch Rate Allowed (52.5-percent). This was thanks in no small part to his ability to get his hands on the ball. He broke up 17 passes, one fewer than Jaire AlexanderP, and also logged 10 interceptions. He had streaks of four and five consecutive games with an interception during the season.

Are you aware of the correlation between turnover differential and wins?

684794C2-693B-4213-9BBC-36665C95CCF0.jpeg

The only issue with this is that X hasn't been that good in all the other stats that are important for CBs including tackles and games played. If last year was an anomaly as it relates to INTs he ends up falling out of the top 10 CBs in the league in career stats. Definitely not worth more money this year...

Now if he can get 10 picks this year let's talk about making X the highest paid corner in the league....again...
Since you seem to be stuck on two numbers...total tackles and games played, let's take a look at last year's numbers between the two.

Ramsey: 15 games, 1 interception, 36 solo tackles, 8 assisted = 44 total

Howard: 16 games, 10 interceptions, 40 solo tackles, 11 assisted = 51 total

I am not bashing Ramsey, he is clearly an elite player. I just disagree with your argument that Howard's production is not deserving of more money and trying to show Ramsey as proof Howard does not produce like an elite CB.

There is no defender better at playing the ball and getting interceptions than Howard.

You and I don't need to talk about him being the highest player in the league, we don't have any power in that determination.

Since you seem to be stuck on two numbers...total tackles and games played, let's take a look at last year's numbers between the two.

I am not bashing Ramsey, he is clearly an elite player. I just disagree with your argument that Howard's production is not deserving of more money and trying to show Ramsey as proof Howard does not produce like an elite CB.

There is no defender better at playing the ball and getting interceptions than Howard.

You and I don't need to talk about him being the highest player in the league, we don't have any power in that determination.
Ramsey got overpaid. He should not be the highest paid CB in the league.

Going to be very hard to replicate that level of INTs. Just like team turnover differential these things flip flop year to year.

If X plays this year, misses 4 or 5 games and ends with 3-4 INTs just how valuable is that to us? Because that's not an unfair stab at a prediction given his body of work over several years.

Not a lot to unpack here really, I don't know anyone that doesn't believe availability to play in games is the most important stat, and I don't need a source for that you can say you read it here : )

Statistically, you're comparing X's best season to Ramsey's worst, which is exactly why I was comparing career stats which you avoided for obvious reasons. Career stats tell a much different story and since they both have been in the league the same number of years it's a far more relevant metric than X's best against Ramsey's worst.

So how did X compare to Ramsey in 2019?

X:
5 Games
17 tackles
4 Passes defensed
1 INT

Ramsey:
12 Games
49 Tackles (43 solo)
5 Passes defensed
1 INT

I fully agree that X is hands down the best INT machine playing right now, That said he hasn't consistently played in enough games over his career to warrant more money. X has only averaged playing 11 games in a season during his career and has only played all 16 games just twice. You want to give him a raise after one year of a new extension with that track record?

Hard pass on that from me.

So far, the Rams have given up 2 #1s, 1 fourth round pick and 44M guaranteed...

Right now, they are actually over the cap in 2022 and will have to make some cuts... Stafford, Donald, and Ramsey alone will cost them 72M.

You have to find a dumb team to make a big trade.

So far, the Rams have given up 2 #1s, 1 fourth round pick and 44M guaranteed...

Right now, they are actually over the cap in 2022 and will have to make some cuts... Stafford, Donald, and Ramsey alone will cost them 72M.

You have to find a dumb team to make a big trade.
No kidding, I wouldn't have made that trade.

I never claimed Ramsey deserved to be the highest paid CB but since he is, then that's the guy you have to compare to even if I don't agree he is the best CB playing the game today.

Some teams behave more like fans... and grab whatever is the shiniest object available. Nothing is too expensive... they waaaaant it now, "weeeee're soooo close, they say..."

Most of the time, they're wrong. They weren't that close.

After the inevitable collapse, these 'fans' and 'GM's look for someone to blame... They are like vampires, they avoid mirrors.

Some teams behave more like fans... and grab whatever is the shiniest object available. Nothing is too expensive... they waaaaant it now, "weeeee're soooo close, they say..."

Most of the time, they're wrong. They weren't that close.

After the inevitable collapse, these 'fans' and 'GM's look for someone to blame... They are like vampires, they avoid mirrors.
After a few off seasons of moves like that said GM/Coach are more likely than not looking for a new job....

When you've missed on a QB, put yourself into cap Hell with contracts and traded away most of your best draft assets, you'd BETTER get to the Super Bowl... nothing else is good enough when you've gone that far out onto a limb.

Back
Top Bottom