Should Xavien be traded for draft capital? | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should Xavien be traded for draft capital?

We can make this work. ReSign he to shorter deal..he is best players on team.

Last edited:
What about a new contract with heavy incentive base?
Just a thought.

Have to agree with this statement, sure X is a great player and as Shula said you keep your best players. But at what point does this become a problem team wise. Flores wants players that by into his system and X is obviously not that type. He has shown over and over again that he is a me first type player, he was ecstatic when he signed his last contract but all of a sudden it's not enough? How is that being a team player? Sure he had a great year last year and that is all fine and we'll but he did sign a contract two years ago and is honourbound to abide by it. And I don't want to hear any crap about how NFL teams take no chances on these players because they do. Sure players may get hurt, or not play up to expectations but the team still has guaranteed clauses in the contracts and it all counts against the cap. That is one of the main reasons that football teams don't have dynasties, unless of course you happen to live in New England
Not to mention part of the terms of his extension had him get a lot of his bonus money paid to him a season early in 2019, even though he was already under contract that year.

He made over 15 mill in a year where I think he would have made just over 2 without it.

What about a new contract with heavy incentive base?
Just a thought.
I doubt that's what Howard has in mind.

We really don't know what he wants, but if he were on board with that, seems like a deal would already be done.

Just for the sake of an unexplored angle, I wonder if Ross has gotten involved.

Owners are a pretty tight group, when it comes to setting precedent for contracts going forward. I'm sure most owners would prefer the Dolphins don't get strong armed into redoing a contract before the ink was dry on the previous one.

The other owners probably had conversations with Ross.

Gotta know some crucial details before jumping to conclusions but these dots aren't real hard to connect. This is looking more and more like an R Jones situation which is ironic when you think about it.

The fins caved to Jones -- a freaking strong safety ... literally the least important part of a defense -- and saw that hilariously not work out. Jones had a similar zero leverage but demanding more right after he signed thing going on ... it absolutely speaks to their character. But corner is different and X is worth his weight gold if he stays healthy and creates turnovers like he consistently does. So is trading a corner -- easily top 10 in the league -- in his prime really learning from past mistakes?

The fins do this to themselves, honestly. Give Jones that absurd contract then draft a corner in the 1st .... while X just dominates both of them. Give Baker $13 mil a year. Yeah, I'd want to be compensated accordingly after that noise too. He doesn't have much leverage so I doubt this goes on much longer but I could go either way here. He's shown enough 'I love me some me' **** that I would take a few high picks and move on even though he would be hugely missed.

I doubt that's what Howard has in mind.

We really don't know what he wants, but if he were on board with that, seems like a deal would already be done.

Just for the sake of an unexplored angle, I wonder if Ross has gotten involved.

Owners are a pretty tight group, when it comes to setting precedent for contracts going forward. I'm sure most owners would prefer the Dolphins don't get strong armed into redoing a contract before the ink was dry on the previous one.

The other owners probably had conversations with Ross.
Ross angle is interesting. But I doubt a man with billions in his late 70s, would let the others influence him.
If I am in Ross position, and the other owners telling me what to do, I tell them to kiss my a$$.

Dallas, if they wanted, could tear up X's contract, give him 5 years and a 20M bonus to sign, Then salaries of 1M this year, and 15M each the next 4 years...

That would make his cap hit for 2021 only 5M and he would fit. The only trouble would be that then they couldn't trust him either. He could take the bonus money and then hold out again next year if a couple of those future years were not guaranteed.

I wouldn't do it, but they might.
It’s Jerry

Keep in mind that Minkah is already complaining about her role in Pittsburgh... now she wants to play the role that she spurned in Miami. THAT story isn't over yet.
The Steelers obviously aren’t concerned with his complains as long as he continues to play at an all pro level. I understand why the Dolphins traded him but the fact is they traded a pro bowl caliber player for a draft pick and that pick was used to select a LT who may or may not end up being a solid player in the NFL.

My point was that trading Howard, who has proved he is an all pro CB and the best player on the defense for draft picks certainly doesn’t assure the player or players selected with those picks will be anywhere close to the player Howard is.

The Steelers obviously aren’t concerned with his complains as long as he continues to play at an all pro level. I understand why the Dolphins traded him but the fact is they traded a pro bowl caliber player for a draft pick and that pick was used to select a LT who may or may not end up being a solid player in the NFL.

My point was that trading Howard, who has proved he is an all pro CB and the best player on the defense for draft picks certainly doesn’t assure the player or players selected with those picks will be anywhere close to the player Howard is.

I think there would be a whole lot less contemplation of trades amongst fans if Howard had strung together multiple years like last season. A lot of this stems from his health issues. All pro isn't quite as enticing when that all pro is only playing 60% of the time.

It is worth noting that Minkah was NOT playing at a pro-bowl level when he was with us.

I think there would be a whole lot less contemplation of trades amongst fans if Howard had strung together multiple years like last season. A lot of this stems from his health issues. All pro isn't quite as enticing when that all pro is only playing 60% of the time.
Amen to that brother, he has had one all pro season and we took a chance on him and it paid off. But how does that mean he has to become a cancer in the locker room now because he's not the highest paid corner on the team? This is not the type of player Flo wants and in my opinion we need to get something for him while his value is high

Uh huh.

Still doesn't address my point.

We were a laughing stock and our point differential was historically bad.

But I appreciate how you didn't miss a chance to criticize Tua with something that had nothing to do with him.

Let's try again. How many of our wins in 2019 was Howard in the lineup for?

So u don't dodge again, I will answer.

We went 0-5.
Gave up 190 points
Only scored 40 points.

Pretty sure Tua averaged more than 10 points per start.

His effort in a defense giving up 190 points in 5 games (38 ppg) got him top CB pay.

Please tell me how we go winless without him

In 2019 we went winless with him.

My bad, 2019 was tuas fault
You said 2019...going into 2020 (fantasizing over Tua's Bama highlights).

I ignored it, not dodged it, but IGNORED it because 2019 had nothing to do with the draft of 2022. There is no data to show what Tua would have averaged on the Dolphins in 2019. That's all just a Bat-Signal for Tua FANatics to crowd around this post and tell me how mean I am.

Meanwhile, in the real world ...Tua was benched twice, looked like sh*t on a stick, admitted that he didn't know a dumbed-down playbook, while our defense was one of the better units in the league and was led by a 1st team All-Pro---not Pro Bowl, but All-Pro defender.

Howard has proven himself. If anyone should be traded it should be Tua for either Rodgers or Watson.

Lmaooo
Some of y’all… wow. Forget players are people and really really add your own context to otherwise innocent statements

Back
Top Bottom