Should Xavien be traded for draft capital? | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should Xavien be traded for draft capital?

But in so doing, Howard will further damage his reputation within the NFL community. Most teams are quite reluctant to add this type of player. These high maintenance guys can just KILL a locker room unless you have a locker room full of these guys... the 70s Raiders were like this, the Cowboys of the past couple of decades... it takes a specific mindset to keep a whiny Prima Donna.

I still think that Dallas would be the most likely destination for X, Jones seems to like collecting malcontents. Maybe Arizona...

Dallas would habe to immediately shed about 8 mil to remain under the cap just to take the Howard contract at face value. Jerry does crazy things, but I don't see them doing this.

I suppose we could take a player in return, but now its just a whole other level of speculation.

Dallas would habe to immediately shed about 8 mil to remain under the cap just to take the Howard contract at face value. Jerry does crazy things, but I don't see them doing this.

I suppose we could take a player in return, but now its just a whole other level of speculation.

Yeah... they'd have to do a funny money deal to get him in... and they've already got a number of overpaid players.

I HATE Dallas and would love to see them destroy their cap to get X. It would make my week.

But in so doing, Howard will further damage his reputation within the NFL community. Most teams are quite reluctant to add this type of player. These high maintenance guys can just KILL a locker room unless you have a locker room full of these guys... the 70s Raiders were like this, the Cowboys of the past couple of decades... it takes a specific mindset to keep a whiny Prima Donna.

I still think that Dallas would be the most likely destination for X, Jones seems to like collecting malcontents. Maybe Arizona...
Not sure if the Cowboys could make the cap space, currently having 6,060,125. Would Miami be willing to pay partial base salary to make it work?

Arizona dealing with their own unhappy camper in Chandler Jones so might just try to swap. I could be wrong, but don’t see Miami biting on that especially since he is 31 and wants a raise.

Jags, Jets, and Broncos have the most cap space. Broncos seem most likely but they might be saving cap space for Rodgers or Watson as they desperately need a QB over a CB.

X wouldn’t be the first player to be his own worst enemy.

Dallas, if they wanted, could tear up X's contract, give him 5 years and a 20M bonus to sign, Then salaries of 1M this year, and 15M each the next 4 years...

That would make his cap hit for 2021 only 5M and he would fit. The only trouble would be that then they couldn't trust him either. He could take the bonus money and then hold out again next year if a couple of those future years were not guaranteed.

I wouldn't do it, but they might.

I agreed, from a fan stand point, as well as from management stand point.
However, from X stand point, he feel he has leverage by holding out, and a pro bowl season to show for. And no one on the roster can replace him. His thinking is, I may never will have an as good a season as I had. I better get all I can get now.
I didn't see him returning any money for the games he missed all those years. He really only balled out last year and he got paid, his ego is getting the best of him and will be his demise, unfortunately...

I would hate to see the Dolphins end up trading Howard. He is the best player on the defense and it would be extremely difficult to replace him in the secondary. They ended up trading an all pro defensive back when they traded Fitzpatrick to the Steelers and in return they ended up drafting Jackson with the pick they received in the trade for Fitzpatrick.

Jackson might turn out to be a good LT in the NFL but I doubt he will ever be an all pro player in the NFL. Trading away all pro players for draft picks rarely end up working out for the team trading away their best players for unproven college draft picks.

Dallas, if they wanted, could tear up X's contract, give him 5 years and a 20M bonus to sign, Then salaries of 1M this year, and 15M each the next 4 years...

That would make his cap hit for 2021 only 5M and he would fit. The only trouble would be that then they couldn't trust him either. He could take the bonus money and then hold out again next year if a couple of those future years were not guaranteed.

I wouldn't do it, but they might.

And we would get Dallas' 2nd in 2022 at best? I don't see a 1st happening but wtf do I know.

The me first attitude of X really bums me out, but say Holland becomes a stud - same thing will happen, 'pay me more, I don't care I signed a contract'. This seems like it will become the new norm. Whatever happened to integrity and honoring your agreement?

And we would get Dallas' 2nd in 2022 at best? I don't see a 1st happening but wtf do I know.

The me first attitude of X really bums me out, but say Holland becomes a stud - same thing will happen, 'pay me more, I don't care I signed a contract'. This seems like it will become the new norm. Whatever happened to integrity and honoring your agreement?
Some guys do... it's called 'character', or 'honor'.

Those without these things, laugh and call it 'weakness'.

In the long run, smart teams maximize the number of character guys and take only selfish guys if they just have to, or when they are on disposable contracts.

Hell... X might settle for a smaller amount of money than I think he is looking to get, but missing a mandatory camp was a BAD sign.

I would hate to see the Dolphins end up trading Howard. He is the best player on the defense and it would be extremely difficult to replace him in the secondary. They ended up trading an all pro defensive back when they traded Fitzpatrick to the Steelers and in return they ended up drafting Jackson with the pick they received in the trade for Fitzpatrick.

Jackson might turn out to be a good LT in the NFL but I doubt he will ever be an all pro player in the NFL. Trading away all pro players for draft picks rarely end up working out for the team trading away their best players for unproven college draft picks.
Keep in mind that Minkah is already complaining about her role in Pittsburgh... now she wants to play the role that she spurned in Miami. THAT story isn't over yet.

This thread has essentially devolved into an endless argument between a few people. Maybe we should start a new thread where we can have a solid discussion.

they need to turn this years salary to guaranteed through signing bonus on an extension and it will fix a lot. he gets the more guaranteed money and highest-paid without us killing the cap over the next few years

Back
Top Bottom