Should Xavien be traded for draft capital? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should Xavien be traded for draft capital?

Don't get me wrong I'd love that but that was the deal for Ramsey who was both very young and rated #1.
Also when teams had a lot more cap flexibility.

This is bad timing for trying to unload a big contract in general, let alone one who is disgruntled over money.

Also when teams had a lot more cap flexibility.

This is bad timing for trying to unload a big contract in general, let alone one who is disgruntled over money.
The pool of teams who have the immediate need for a CB, money left under the cap, and the willingness to take on an erratic player is quite small. As much as I'd like to move him, I think it may be difficult to do so.

Absolutely not. Let him throw his hissy fit and hold out. He'll eventually realize losing millions for not playing isn't worth his holdout. His agent, who makes a percentage of that, will also remind him to get his butt on the field.

Really, the team holds all the leverage here. X will be playing come regular season and will ball out again if he wants to get more money.

A superstar player at an impact position is ALWAYS better than draft picks which you aren't even likely to hit on 50% of, even in the first round.

Plus you'd be trading him not even knowing where the picks will be in the draft.

A superstar player at an impact position is ALWAYS better than draft picks which you aren't even likely to hit on 50% of, even in the first round.

Plus you'd be trading him not even knowing where the picks will be in the draft.
Assuming that he is a) healthy and b) not overpaid... yes.

But only in the short term. You always have to balance the right now vs. the 2-3 years from now.

Will that 'superstar' still be any good in 2 years? Will he be healthy? Will he be affordable if he's healthy?

All of the questions come into play. You don't just blindly keep throwing money at your senior players, that's what happened in both Atlanta and New Orleans.

Assuming that he is a) healthy and b) not overpaid... yes.

But only in the short term. You always have to balance the right now vs. the 2-3 years from now.

Will that 'superstar' still be any good in 2 years? Will he be healthy? Will he be affordable if he's healthy?

All of the questions come into play. You don't just blindly keep throwing money at your senior players, that's what happened in both Atlanta and New Orleans.

Hes not a senior player though, he's 27 years old. Even at corner he should be elite 3-4 more years and damn good another 2 after that.

Without his playmaking ability our scoring defense wouldn't have been nearly what it was.

I agree with what you said, but Howard doesn't fall into that category in my opinion.

Hes not a senior player though, he's 27 years old. Even at corner he should be elite 3-4 more years and damn good another 2 after that.

Without his playmaking ability our scoring defense wouldn't have been nearly what it was.

I agree with what you said, but Howard doesn't fall into that category in my opinion.
He'll be 28 in July, and if you look at the list of top CBs in the league... in any year, there are VERY few who are 30. ...and sadly, if he has one more knee injury, it's likely that his period near the top would be immediately ended.

He's glass... worse than Devante Parker, and almost as bad as Will Fuller. He is exquisite glass when he's healthy, but betting on that with FUTURE money is probably a bad bet.

After hearing the context I don’t think what he said was all that bad. He used the team drafting his possible replacement as motivation and dude balled out. He ain’t getting younger so he trying to get as much guaranteed money as possible and yes he signed a contract but I’m tired of people using this one sided logic to only apply it to the players. McCain signed his contract and he was released since it was in the best interest for the team.

Didn't we end up winning 5 games in 2019 without his services after winning none with him?

Or did he play the last half of the season? Forgot with his injury history.
Tua wasn't churching out 95 yards passing for the entire game(s) either. The defense carried the team...Howard carried the defense.

Trade him...cut him. Hopefully, it shows who and what this team is about. Champs or chumps.

I decided to test this the theory of age vs. excellence.

I pulled up a random list of top ten CBs in the game and got this... https://cardswire.usatoday.com/gallery/look-the-top-outside-cbs-in-the-nfl/

We could kibbitz about which ten and the particular order, but most lists would include most of these guys.

1. Jalen Ramsey (27)
2. Jaire Alexander (24)
3. Marlon Humphrey (25)
4. X (28)
5. Tre'Davious White (26)
6. Stephone Gilmore (31)
7. James Bradberry (28)
8. Denzel Ward (24)
9. William Jackson (29)
10. Darious Williams (28)

Gilmore is the ONE guy over 30, and only one more is even 29. CB is a young man's game... and to expect X to be 'elite for 3-4 more years and damn good after that' is an ENORMOUS leap, because this is not how it works at the CB position-- especially with players with injury histories.
My guess is that X might be elite for 2 more years... if he remains healthy. Once he loses a half step, he'll be in trouble. His coverage isn't as sticky as some of these, what he is best at is recovery. He baits QBs into throwing with the space he gives up, then closes... and if he loses a bit of speed, that won't work anymore. One more knee injury and you can forget X as we currently know him

...and that, I believe, is why he is so desperate to get paid, and why we should avoid doing it. We probably are not a Super Bowl contender this year, although we should be better than we were, and throwing big bucks at a player on the edge of a fade is likely not wise.

Problem with trying to trade X is you're going to get offers like a 2nd and 4th for him and that's simply not enough. People thinking we can get "a 1st and..." are delusional. We'd have to push to get a late 1st for him from someone like the Chiefs/Seahawks/Ravens/etc who think they're 1 player away... we're closer to a Super Bowl keeping him than trading him for a mediocre return.

Problem with trying to trade X is you're going to get offers like a 2nd and 4th for him and that's simply not enough. People thinking we can get "a 1st and..." are delusional. We'd have to push to get a late 1st for him from someone like the Chiefs/Seahawks/Ravens/etc who think they're 1 player away... we're closer to a Super Bowl keeping him than trading him for a mediocre return.
You are presenting speculation as fact.

None of us know what we might generate from an X trade, and it only takes one team to fall in love with the idea.

We should be listening to offers, judging them, asking for more... but this is no guarantee that we accept them.

I understand what you are concerned with, but that really didn't address what I said.

Maybe they have no desire to "lock him up" for 3 years, if it means big gaurantees. As much as I would like to see a happy X out there, I don't think a premature, multiyear, big dollar, substantially gauranteed extension is wise in the big picture.

Do you?
big picture i don't think it's ever going to be an issue for us, financially.

but i don't see us doing "a premature, multiyear, big dollar, substantially guaranteed extension."

i do believe there is a middle ground that will somewhat satisfy everyone.

Last edited:
You are presenting speculation as fact.

None of us know what we might generate from an X trade, and it only takes one team to fall in love with the idea.

We should be listening to offers, judging them, asking for more... but this is no guarantee that we accept them.
No doubt, but this entire discussion is speculation.

Back
Top Bottom