Should Xavien be traded for draft capital? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should Xavien be traded for draft capital?

No, you tear out the ingrown nail, before the infection turns into blood poisioning. Sure, it will hurt like hell, and you may limp for a couple days, but it was the right thing to do in the long run.
I am not opposed to trading him. Personally, I would not redo his contract. We have better things to do rather than deal with stupid stuff (somebody's ego about being the highest-paid DB on their team). X makes plenty of money. Hopefully, Grier is on top of it, and we know the skinny before things get serious with X. If we say we are not going to redo your contract and ask if he will still play, we better be ready to move him ASAP if he declines. This is on X.

I am not opposed to trading him. Personally, I would not redo his contract. We have better things to do rather than deal with stupid stuff (somebody's ego about being the highest-paid DB on their team). X makes plenty of money. Hopefully, Grier is on top of it, and we know the skinny before things get serious with X. If we say we are not going to redo your contract and ask if he will still play, we better be ready to move him ASAP if he declines. This is on X.
Agree. If we’re offered a first he’s gone IMO. Remember this. Watch the Cowboys.

Depends how much more money he wants.
Does it though?

If the Phin's line of thinking was to move on from Howard after this season, as the contract appears to be structured toward, anyway, then the amount is irrelevant.

If they just don't want to add potential future dead money, there isn't much room for compromise.

Good thing we selected a 1st round CB last year so we even have the flexibility to potentially trade a player like X if that is the way this goes. Many didn’t like the pick and wanted a RB but that was smart drafting IMO, similar to the Long pick this year.

X has no options. What can he do? Not play? Rack up fines, have no salary and payback his signing bonus?

Give in, pout and play badly? Decrease his value?

Nah, Fins will hold strong on this one, as they should.
I ageee. But I said that about mikah. He had no options. Even less than x. But we traded him. X will be traded.

But you have to remember he is only making 12 million per year. If I remember correctly in FL at $12,000,000 annually you are no longer able to collect food stamps. The poor guy might starve to death.

Good thing we selected a 1st round CB last year so we even have the flexibility to potentially trade a player like X if that is the way this goes. Many didn’t like the pick and wanted a RB but that was smart drafting IMO, similar to the Long pick this year.
People sleeping on Noah calling the dude we know was very raw and young a bust. Noah is gonna end up a better corner then X. Mark my words, better doesn’t mean more interceptions but more consistent yes. x does blow coverages from time to time

Just a year ago we gambled on X and made him the highest paid corner in the league. He rewarded that gamble with a Pro Bowl effort. It was not a one year contract, it was for five years and X took it. His career stats don't scream HOF to me and if you are/were the highest paid in the league at your position there should be HOF talk surrounding you...

X's stats for the five years he was in the league;
Games played: 56 of 80
Tackles: 182 with 139 solo
Passes defended: 55
INTs: 22

By comparison look at Jalen Ramsey;
Games played: 75 of 80
Tackles: 278 with 240 solo
Passes defended: 58
INT's 11

Would you trade 11 INTs for 100 more tackles and 21 more games played?
I would, a great player is useless when they are not playing.

Add in the threat to Coach Flo's locker room culture and I say trade X now, his value won't be as high next year...
I am not suggesting Miami should renegotiate Howard’s contract because the ramifications can set in motion the likelihood this type of renegotiation tactic becomes a standard moving forward.

However, to argue X’s production is not worth more money than his current contract is not sound.

In X’s career he averages an interception in 39.3% of his games. In the past 3 years, X has 18 interceptions in 33 games averaging an interception in 54.6% of his games.

To put what he did last year in context. X had more interceptions than 6 teams threw. Two more teams threw 10 interceptions. Seven more teams threw 11 interceptions. 25 teams threw 14 interceptions or less.

Comparing X to other “teams” defense. 10 teams made 10 interceptions or fewer. 19 teams made 12 interceptions or less.

X is a turnover machine!

I like Ramsey a lot as a player. Of course, he forced his way into being traded and into a new contract so I wouldn’t use him as a standard how X should just honor his contract.

From a production point would I take Howard’s average of intercepting a pass in 54.6% of the games the past 3 years or Ramsey who average’s an interception in 11.6% of the games the last 3 years?

I go with X.

draft picks aren't going to help us fight for the super bowl this year, or likely next (as rookies).

although fun when draft time rolls around.

i need our team at it's strongest the next few years.
On the other hand, if X is not in the future plan due to age/cost/injuries or whatever, does it really make sense to redo anything?

I can see both sides to an extent, but the FO may have already decided they won't restructure at this time. I don't think they are bouncing offers/counter offers back and forth as some believe.

Howard's agent is playing chicken with a train train.

On the other hand, if X is not in the future plan due to age/cost/injuries or whatever, does it really make sense to redo anything?

I can see both sides to an extent, but the FO may have already decided they won't restructure at this time. I don't think they are bouncing offers/counter offers back and forth as some believe.

Howard's agent is playing chicken with a train train.

why wouldn't it make sense?

the money?

unless you mean by "future plan" this season and next season.

why wouldn't it make sense?

the money?

unless you mean by "future plan" this season and next season.
As I understand it, there is little or zero gauranteed money after this year (other than prorated signing bonus).

If they already had the intention to move on from an older, oft injured, high contract player after this season, why would they add future dead money?

I think that's the main issue here. X wants multi years (3?) with gauranteed $ (I'm assuming, probably not far off), but the Dolphins have no intention of any such thing. They want to keep their flexibility

What do you suggest if that is the case? It would be nice to say compromise, but I don't see much common ground.

Ultimately, X doesn't have much leverage.

Back
Top Bottom