Should Xavien be traded for draft capital? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should Xavien be traded for draft capital?

As I understand it, there is little or zero gauranteed money after this year (other than prorated signing bonus).

If they already had the intention to move on from an older, oft injured, high contract player after this season, why would they add future dead money?

I think that's the main issue here. X wants multi years (3?) with gauranteed $ (I'm assuming, probably not far off), but the Dolphins have no intention of any such thing. They want to keep their flexibility

What do you suggest if that is the case? It would be nice to say compromise, but I don't see much common ground.

Ultimately, X doesn't have much leverage.
he is currently signed for three more seasons (through 2024).

the cap is going up so much in 2022 (and probably again in 2023 and 2024), i'm not really concerned with anything they do monetarily (within bounds of reason, of course).

so, i am sure there are a number of ways of skinning this particular cat.

Balls in Xs court. Would love to keep him but i don’t think 1 year gets you a new contract. Play another year under this one then we’ll talk. Injuries have been his thing. Prove you can stay healthy and we’ll talk. Otherwise you can net us more assets

Balls in Xs court. Would love to keep him but i don’t think 1 year gets you a new contract. Play another year under this one then we’ll talk. Injuries have been his thing. Prove you can stay healthy and we’ll talk. Otherwise you can net us more assets
No Howard...we'd have been picking #1 this past season, maybe not even winning a single game.

Just FYI, i am close to retirement, and my job involves constant contract negotiation. During the enforceable period of the current contract, you must renegotiate as soon as you have leverage. You don't wait for current contract to expire then negotiate. The other side has to evaluate the cost of court battle and lost of revenue. And thats how I got my bonus. If not, it makes for short employment.
Fair point, so you should agree.

Howard has no leverage with 4 years remaining. The team has no reason to renegotiate. Renegotiating does nothing to help the team at this time

So we agree. Howard should wait to renegotiate.

Trade away talent for future draft picks. That's the fastest way I know of to win in the playoffs or, God forbid, the Super Bowl. Great plan. Let's wait another ten years before we become competitive.

No Howard...we'd have been picking #1 this past season, maybe not even winning a single game.
Didn't we end up winning 5 games in 2019 without his services after winning none with him?

Or did he play the last half of the season? Forgot with his injury history.

Fair point, so you should agree.

Howard has no leverage with 4 years remaining. The team has no reason to renegotiate. Renegotiating does nothing to help the team at this time

So we agree. Howard should wait to renegotiate.
I agreed, from a fan stand point, as well as from management stand point.
However, from X stand point, he feel he has leverage by holding out, and a pro bowl season to show for. And no one on the roster can replace him. His thinking is, I may never will have an as good a season as I had. I better get all I can get now.

So Jones singing and drafting Noah was a slap in the face?

Understandable if they didn't just make him the highest paid CB in the league. Does not compute.

Oh wait, he's playing the victim, my bad.

Please, this reasoning is a slap in the face to any reasonable person after seeing he was made the highest paid corner.

Bye bye Howard, enjoy Vegas

I agreed, from a fan stand point, as well as from management stand point.
However, from X stand point, he feel he has leverage by holding out, and a pro bowl season to show for. And no one on the roster can replace him. His thinking is, I may never will have an as good a season as I had. I better get all I can get now.
I agree 100% here.

So, if he doesn't even think he will have as good a season again, nobody else should nor should he get paid like he would.

But I understand what you are saying here.

he is currently signed for three more seasons (through 2024).

the cap is going up so much in 2022 (and probably again in 2023 and 2024), i'm not really concerned with anything they do monetarily (within bounds of reason, of course).

so, i am sure there are a number of ways of skinning this particular cat.
I understand what you are concerned with, but that really didn't address what I said.

Maybe they have no desire to "lock him up" for 3 years, if it means big gaurantees. As much as I would like to see a happy X out there, I don't think a premature, multiyear, big dollar, substantially gauranteed extension is wise in the big picture.

Do you?

I have come around on this. I don't blame X for wanting more, but with our salary cap situation there is no way he can be paid as the top cb in the league. Our only choice may be to trade him. It sucks but hopefully we hit a home run in the trade

Wouldn't surprise me. Two dysfunctional franchises.

I haven't seen it anywhere but here though. Is it some speculative tweet? Or a beat writer trying to drum up clicks?

Hard to take most things seriously any more.
Saw it on my Google news feed. If I see again I'll link.

Back
Top Bottom