Should Xavien be traded for draft capital? | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should Xavien be traded for draft capital?

Why does MIAMI have to agree to giving him more money when he signed a contract? Is that how contracts work?
It is a sticky topic, something you generally don't see in other sports leagues or at least not to the same extent.

The team has the opportunity to "renegotiate" the contract at any time by cutting a player. I get that it's part of the contract but it's really not a level playing field. I would have been way more pissed had the Dolphins fully guaranteed the deal from the beginning than I would be with them adding a bit of money or guaranteeing more now, moving some up etc.

Why does MIAMI have to agree to giving him more money when he signed a contract? Is that how contracts work?
You liked them well enough when you get your big fat bonus upfront. But when you don;t like them...just hold-out and your solution is the other party should "just" x,y,z,?

Why can a team cut a player they agreed to pay for a certain number of years.

Its all within the rights of both sides.

It is a sticky topic, something you generally don't see in other sports leagues or at least not to the same extent.

The team has the opportunity to "renegotiate" the contract at any time by cutting a player. I get that it's part of the contract but it's really not a level playing field. I would have been way more pissed had the Dolphins fully guaranteed the deal from the beginning than I would be with them adding a bit of money or guaranteeing more now, moving some up etc.

Therefore because the rules aren’t currently that way Miami should what? Bow to he and his agents wishes because of what exactly?

Therefore because the rules aren’t currently that way Miami should what? Bow to he and his agents wishes because of what exactly?
I've actually never suggested that.

I'd guarantee another year, add a little bit if necessary. Aside from that I wouldn't even trade him, i'd let him rot at home and pay back money. If X wants to devalue himself cuz all he wants is money that's on him, he won't get the money. It's about setting precedent.

Does it though?

If the Phin's line of thinking was to move on from Howard after this season, as the contract appears to be structured toward, anyway, then the amount is irrelevant.

If they just don't want to add potential future dead money, there isn't much room for compromise.
The question is "should"

Every day I wake and check my Google news feed hoping to see: X Howard, traded for "I really don't care" whatever. For those that have no clue, The Dolphins went from Laughing-stock to nearly making the Play-Offs due a cultural change!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The current WINNING CULTURE....
Has no tolerance and no room for ME ME ME ME players.
X, needs to go and ASAP as he doesn't belong here any longer and Flo will send that message.
We aren't Dallas or The Raiders. X, can "F" off.

I've actually never suggested that.

I'd guarantee another year, add a little bit if necessary. Aside from that I wouldn't even trade him, i'd let him rot at home and pay back money. If X wants to devalue himself cuz all he wants is money that's on him, he won't get the money. It's about setting precedent.

You most certainly did!

You most certainly did!
That they had to agree to his demands? Never, not once.

I offered a reason why a player would want more and suggested they could give him a little more or even just guarantee more of it. I did say the playing field wasn't really level, which it isn't. Maybe players should sign deals with performance bonuses which actually trigger more money and guarantees because if they don't perform the club doesn't live up to it's end of the contract.

For players, losing fully guaranteed contracts is by far the worst thing that has happened.

You liked them well enough when you get your big fat bonus upfront. But when you don;t like them...just hold-out and your solution is the other party should "just" x,y,z,?
I don't believe I said Miami has to do anything. As I stated they can let it playout, Howard returns unhappy in late August and plays for the $12 million he's scheduled to get in 2021 and he has zero protection in terms of guaranteed $$$ for 2022. I believe I suggested the team offers to guarantee his 2022 and 2023 salary... I never said they had to do so. Dolphins aren't obligated to address the terms of current deal and Howard is not obligated on play in 2021 either.

Last edited:
Every single posters that's pissed (in what appears mostly to be a personal way lol) that X isn't honoring his contract...wants Miami to trade him...thus not honoring the contract.
It's been the last thing I've gone to bed thinking about this past week, 🤔
I'm so confused 😕

Every single posters that's pissed (in what appears mostly to be a personal way lol) that X isn't honoring his contract...wants Miami to trade him...thus not honoring the contract.
I'm so confused 😕
Well X has already broken the terms of the contract with his holdout. Miami shouldn't be expected to continue to honor their terms if X has by his actions violated the terms of the contract.

To be clear I am not advocating for or against his departure just yet but I wouldn't fault the front office for moving on because of it...

I'm so confused 😕
I understand what you're saying, but to be clear if a team opts to trade a player who's under contract that's not voiding or breaking the contract. it's letting another team take over the terms and then they can opt to restructure if they opt to.

Well X has already broken the terms of the contract with his holdout. Miami shouldn't be expected to continue to honor their terms if X has by his actions violated the terms of the contract.

To be clear I am not advocating for or against his departure just yet but I wouldn't fault the front office for moving on because of it...
Holding out is not breaking the terms of the contract. The player is not obligated to play football, they can cease playing when ever they want to. However, the contract does state if the player does opt to hold out the team can fine the player x amount of $$$$ and in some cases seek to recoup bonus money previously paid.

Back
Top Bottom