Should Xavien be traded for draft capital? | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Should Xavien be traded for draft capital?

For 2 number 1's .. if not, can't the dolphins play hardball and let him sit and not pay him AND go after some of his bonus???????
There are some changes in the new CBA, one for example says that if a player is fined during a holdout the fines cannot be waived. Previously the team had discretion and could choose not to fine a player for holding out. The team can also go after any signing bonuses, in X's case it looks like he's got a 1.4M prorated bonus and a 25K workout bonus. After this year he can make an additional 500K per year in game roster bonuses.

Here's the rub and where X may be concerned (although he DID sign it), in 2021 X only gets a 6.7M injury guarantee and he has an injury history. Most all of his guaranteed money from the contract came in the form of a 7M signing bonus and his salary from 2019 and 2020. He has just 12M guaranteed salary this year and no guaranteed money after this year.

Bottom line is that Grier did a masterful job in protecting the team with this long term contract taking into consideration X's injury history and production fall off based on age.

There are some changes in the new CBA, one for example says that if a player is fined during a holdout the fines cannot be waived. Previously the team had discretion and could choose not to fine a player for holding out. The team can also go after any signing bonuses, in X's case it looks like he's got a 1.4M prorated bonus and a 25K workout bonus. After this year he can make an additional 500K per year in game roster bonuses.

Here's the rub and where X may be concerned (although he DID sign it), in 2021 X only gets a 6.7M injury guarantee and he has an injury history. Most all of his guaranteed money from the contract came in the form of a 7M signing bonus and his salary from 2019 and 2020. He has just 12M guaranteed salary this year and no guaranteed money after this year.

Bottom line is that Grier did a masterful job in protecting the team with this long term contract taking into consideration X's injury history and production fall off based on age.
In the end X is going get his contract rework..X is best players on team..sometimes u got reward players....

Nah. He'll still be top 5. There aren't many CBs worth 100m per year, not even X.
NFL money fake contracts pay man..they going give him more signing bonus money

Last edited:
Every day I wake and check my Google news feed hoping to see: X Howard, traded for "I really don't care" whatever. For those that have no clue, The Dolphins went from Laughing-stock to nearly making the Play-Offs due a cultural change!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The current WINNING CULTURE....
Has no tolerance and no room for ME ME ME ME players.
X, needs to go and ASAP as he doesn't belong here any longer and Flo will send that message.
We aren't Dallas or The Raiders. X, can "F" off.

If you think we win half as many games without X you're crazy. He was a major, if not the major factor in our scoring defense that carried our offense.

Until our offense shows on the field its capable if winning games, making the defense weaker is just a terrible idea.

thanks.. it will be interesting to see how this plays out

He is paid accordingly he is a top 5 paid CB not bad for a top 5 CB.
Top 5 CB?

That's one way to frame it considering that the order of CBs 1-5 is interchangeable.

As far as THIS team is concerned, he's CB1 with a bullet.

I still say the bigger issue is the zero guaranteed $$$ after the 2021 season. Howard and his agent know that if he gets seriously injured this year, next summer he would likely be released and then forced to sign somewhere on a below market value deal on a prove it type contract. I think Howard and is agent want to see his $$$ in 2022 and 2023 guaranteed. They might ask for an increase too, but the bigger deal is playing the 2021 season with no safety net protection financially if he should get injured this season. I think if the 2022 portion of his deal was guaranteed Howard would be in camp and any issues as far as $$$$ increase would be an ongoing discussion.
Guess he signed on the dotted line too quickly, neither he nor his agent had the foresight to think about that scenario? So if he didn't ball out last year would he still be looking for more money? I saw this coming after they signed B Jones...

That is also fair. I do think obviously Howard knows he will get one last big contract opportunity and just wants what he is currently worth.

I understand both sides of it, he definitely isn't being paid like the corner he is, in my opinion (though I understand he's not making chump change either) but also as you said he is under contract that he signed.
Needs to show more consistency in both playing time and performance, one year doesn't cut it. If that's how he wants to be paid he should be giving back money for all the games he's previously missed and still took the game check...

Every day I wake and check my Google news feed hoping to see: X Howard, traded for "I really don't care" whatever. For those that have no clue, The Dolphins went from Laughing-stock to nearly making the Play-Offs due a cultural change!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The current WINNING CULTURE....
Has no tolerance and no room for ME ME ME ME players.
X, needs to go and ASAP as he doesn't belong here any longer and Flo will send that message.
We aren't Dallas or The Raiders. X, can "F" off.
So reading between the lines here, I would guess you're in favor of trading him? :lol:

Top 5 CB?

That's one way to frame it considering that the order of CBs 1-5 is interchangeable.

As far as THIS team is concerned, he's CB1 with a bullet.
So if Waddle has a better year than Parker you would support him holding out to get paid more than Parker?

So if Waddle has a better year than Parker you would support him holding out to get paid more than Parker?

Now we’re starting to get the danger of setting this precedent if the Dolphins give into his demand. Especially, so shortly after signing on the dotted line. Btw, it would be league wide and not just the Dolphins.

Last edited:
As of 1:12 PM on 6/22/21...the answer is hell no.

As if 1:12 PM on 6/22/27...the answer is hell yes, especially considering the context you left out (Most important piece of the unit, mvp level season).

Back
Top Bottom