Shout out to the Offensive Line | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Shout out to the Offensive Line

I disagree with this comment, no player deserves HATE , criticism yes but hate never.
I dont think he meant it like what the actual word means

However I do disagree with you some derserve hate.

Some take advantage of their earnings, screw the team over, don’t work hard and take their talent for granted

Austin Jackson come on down.
Who would of picked him as the only starter not to go down so far this season especially after his problems in previous years?
Also playing some very solid football.
Would look at resigning him before other teams get a chance.
They were talking about Jackson on S Fla sports radio yesterday. They were talking about the Pro Bowl season he's putting together! He got healthy, stronger and coached up!! Credit to Coach Barry who is without a doubt a genius!! Think about the oline's we've seen around here.

I disagree with this comment, no player deserves HATE , criticism yes but hate never.
Well, in this case, as in most cases, "hate" is a very relative term...nobody really "hates" him, they were simply very disappointed with the impact he had on a few games...but in today's vernacular, anything less than flowers and rainbows is hate.

Well, I mean, especially when you consider resources it cost to get him, his play earned that hate. Nice to see him grow though...pulling hard for the kid.
For me, two minutes after the cost is paid it does not matter. It is the past. I can agree that his past performance has not been acceptable.

The questions is are the players that much better or is it the system/scheme with Tua getting rid of the ball quickly?
I believe the most significant difference is the coaching is better. The second year the same system is another key contributor to the across the board success. AJ is a great example. He was mismatched in a power scheme where is athletic ability had almost no value due to his lack of technique. An offensive scheme were cutoffs and firing off the ball to maximize athletic talent over strength and skill is a good scheme for him. The other part is getting use to flowing to aiming points collectively as a group, making the correct assignment decision, and sealing instead of driving the player is different than the Flores OL attempted. Takes time for that scheme to sink into the down to down play of the OL.

They were talking about Jackson on S Fla sports radio yesterday. They were talking about the Pro Bowl season he's putting together! He got healthy, stronger and coached up!! Credit to Coach Barry who is without a doubt a genius!! Think about the oline's we've seen around here.
They are overstating his performance. He has turned in a starting grade performance (up from replacement level). He makes 5 or so splash plays a game, so he may be an average starting caliber RT. That is a huge improvement. I struggle to imagine he is an above average starting RT. Pro Bowl season is ludicrous.

...and THAT is the key... depth.

All through the offseason, FH was buried in threads screaming that we hadn't done enough with the line.

Clearly... those threads, those posts, those brothers were wrong. We've put together a pretty nice group of zone-blocking linemen.

Yup. I was totally wrong. Based on previous years I thought our OL would struggle mightily. I think considering it was a reasonable concern. However, Barry has really made a difference. This is definitely one of those times where I am happy my concerns were misguided.

Sorry Joey Tribbiani GIF

I cant stand the guy. I cringe when he's in the lineup. But if he continues to learn the Center position, hopefully he can be a serviceable backup. Dont want him to ever play G or T again.
I think center is the best spot for him.....he doesn’t have long arms to play OT and he's not very big to play guard.......he's only played 4 or 5 games at center though so if he can be a good backup center than it's fine with me

Butch Barry has done a great job but it's not just him. Apparently,Offensive Coordinator, Frank Smith spends a lot of his time working with Butch Barry and the O-line. Smith is the guy who flies under the radar but Mike McDaniel utilizes him as a key resource to fix problems. Seems like they all work well together.

Butch Barry has done a great job but it's not just him. Apparently,Offensive Coordinator, Frank Smith spends a lot of his time working with Butch Barry and the O-line. Smith is the guy who flies under the radar but Mike McDaniel utilizes him as a key resource to fix problems.
Not sure about that. Apparently the oline coach last year was fired because Smith had to spend his time coaching the oline.

The Dolphins are also looking for continuity on the sideline after firing first-year offensive line coach Matt Applebaum and hiring former Denver Broncos offensive line coach Butch Barry. Head coach Mike McDaniel said the move was made to take pressure off offensive coordinator Frank Smith.

“So realistically, the way the staff was orchestrated the previous year, I really needed to get more offensive coordinator work out of Frank Smith, and he was devoted a little too much to the offensive line," McDaniel said. "And I needed more, selfishly, to alleviate some stuff off my plate.”

Yes, I'm aware of those comments. However, also aware that whenever Mike McDaniel compliments the O-line improvement this year he also always mentions Frank Smith in addition to Butch Barry. O-line blocking schemes are his strength. Whatever they are doing, they are working well together to get the results.

Eich has in my opinion already shown he can be an average center.

I think center is the best spot for him.....he doesn’t have long arms to play OT and he's not very big to play guard.......he's only played 4 or 5 games at center though so if he can be a good backup center than it's fine with me

Center is where I said he should have been put last year. It’s what he is physically built for.

For the line being all backups plus Jackson, best game they coulda played. Just outstanding.

Now Greir go find us some more depth before the trade deadline!

Definitely agree!

Back
Top Bottom