Sign Nick Foles? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sign Nick Foles?

With a the holes/needs this team has? I don't see it.

Playoffs next year? Maybe
Contenders in two? Unrealistic, due to the reasons listed.

The right FO, and coaching staff can make huge strides, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Sorry, but we don’t have as many needs as some think and, again, we don’t need to address all of them to be a contender. Can you name a team that doesn’t have deficiencies? I can’t.

You must love this FO and coaching staff, if your expectations are so low.

I thought we just needed a QB with good pocket presence and the line would be fine. I’ve been reading that on here for months.

And that has been accurate. The line is fine. Get another guard and some depth and it will go from average to above average or better. Get a QB who can handle a pocket (clearly not Tannehill) and it will look even better.

Excellent read.

Really makes the point about how cap management, and overall philosophy are joined at the hip.

That's why there has to be one single voice making the decisions. This decision by committee plan we employ really is a franchise killer.

A side note from the article, that Garappalo (sp?) contract is ridiculous. Good luck with that 9ers.

Way overselling how bad the o-line is. Simply isn’t true. And it doesn’t require having zero weaknesses to contend. We can contend with only filling some of these holes, particularly QB and DL. Agreed on FO and coaching staff though.

Gonz
Some debatable stuff here. IMO the OL is bad, now putting a standard of the level of bad is not my intention but I do see it as clearly to weak and place a high value on a quality OL and its strong potential effect on our overall offense. . . Personally see ours just as you stated "hole filled" and not quality filled but just holes and even NFL wise we're probably ranked near the bottom. But its my opinion that this is an area we need to focus on to build for a significant future no matter who's QB or RB's...and would show at least me that the new guys? have a proper understanding of where we are at and whats needed and most likely the best place to start unless a non acquirable QB falls in our lap...We don't seem to do that well in the, some hole filling dept. at least for a couple decades...

All teams have areas of weakness and didn't imply anything about a 0 weakness. But us, maybe say we have less than zero weakness and was able to contend, only bummer is we were contending with other half azz scrub teams so IMO big friggin deal..We have been on the edge of contention while contending for mediocrity the last several years, no decades and excitement as to a playoff as the Goal, NOT MY IDEA of a goal reaching a playoff or being middle of the road or the team we've seen on Sundays.
This team needs plenty 2-3 LB's (though Baker has a shot), QB, 1-2 G (sitton healthy for a couple years then another hole to fill) DT, soon DE, C, a DB
Gore? soon another RB, ditto probably Amendola,
I guess the difference is our level of whats acceptable in which for me a shot a one playoff game is irrelevant and sadly to many see as a plus and goal achieved...

Sorry, but we don’t have as many needs as some think and, again, we don’t need to address all of them to be a contender. Can you name a team that doesn’t have deficiencies? I can’t.

You must love this FO and coaching staff, if your expectations are so low.
I hate this FO, and coaching staff. Not only the individuals (Tbum, Gas, Burke), as they are all incompetent IMO, but also the convoluted hierarchy where nobody really knows who's making what decisions.

We just have a difference in opinion about how long it will take to achieve what, I assume, we both want. A perennial contender.

How do we have a problem bringing in a SB MVP? If that were Tannehill you’d all be on board for keeping him. Every quarterback is a stop gap until you have the chance for an upgrade. He would be so far above what we have had you obviously have no clue. But you want Tyrod? LOL.

How do we have a problem bringing in a SB MVP? If that were Tannehill you’d all be on board for keeping him. Every quarterback is a stop gap until you have the chance for an upgrade. He would be so far above what we have had you obviously have no clue. But you want Tyrod? LOL.
I guess how long is the stop gap for? How much can the team spend before impacting other areas on the team? Who is signing off or directing the stop gap thought process? That is a big question for me as what is the plan, at least the senior management knows it and is in agreement of the direction on the club.

Taylor, only because I think he can be had on the cheap. I don't have a big problem with Foles, per se. I don't want to give a big $, multi year deal to anybody this year.

I want the next GM to take "his guy" in 2020. When you hire a new GM, you don't ram a QB, and an expensive contract down his throat. Not only is it a recipe for disaster, but the top GM prospects will laugh at you. Some people don't care to look at the big picture. I get it, but not seeing past opening day 2019 makes them clueless, not me.

About $25-30 mil per year, that's QB budget in the NFL.
According to a quite informative article fin fan posted, that number is very high. 10% of the salary cap is in line for non elite, average guys. Anything beyond that has, historically, had a negative overall impact.

On the other hand, if you have an elite guy, pay him. He can overcome many flaws.

That's the thing about back-up QB's. They always look good in small samples because they haven't had to look down the barrel all season.

A perfect example would be 2016 when Tannehill went down and Matt Moore took over and "led" us to the playoffs. There was talk that he was better than Tannehill and should even start.

He's succeeding on the Eagles because:
  1. Pederson is a better HC than Gase is.
  2. Frank Reich was a better OC than Gase is.
That’s possible and guys who aren’t starter material can’t play well in long stretches - I agree w that 100%. Perhaps Foles wouldn’t do any better than RT here - IDK anymore. I don’t think we’d want to break the bank for any of these available FAs (Foles included) as none of them really inspire. I’m out of ideas for how to get to playoff contention next year.

About $25-30 mil per year, that's QB budget in the NFL.
I understand that brother, but what I was referring to is what our team can afford. Do we do that or go with a cheaper stop gap, and build this team through the draft and get going with good sound contracts and a healthy cap. We need to set this organization up for future success and sustainability.

That’s possible and guys who aren’t starter material can’t play well in long stretches - I agree w that 100%. Perhaps Foles wouldn’t do any better than RT here - IDK anymore. I don’t think we’d want to break the bank for any of these available FAs (Foles included) as none of them really inspire. I’m out of ideas for how to get to playoff contention next year.
Playoff "contention"? We can probably do that with the status quo sans Burke, but if that's the ceiling as this team is currently constructed, is that what you want?

IMO, to take the next step forward, we may have to be willing to endure a bad season, while the next GM puts his staff together.

I wouldn’t hate it but I’d prefer that cheap rookie labor.

Back
Top Bottom