Since Week 6 Tua Leads all QBs in 4th Quarter Passing Yards | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Since Week 6 Tua Leads all QBs in 4th Quarter Passing Yards

I’ve been saying since week 1 that he makes plays when he needs to. I love the way he responds to a bad pick for example. These Q4 stats suggest there is a “clutch” factor there.

What the hell, I’ll take a shot at one of these idiotic arguments.

Yeah, but if Tua was doing his job in the first 3 quarters Miami would be up by 40 points and wouldn’t have to throw for all those yards.

The real sign of a great QB is how few yards they throw in the 4th quarter, not how many yards.
Hey Adam - I respect this perspective but I also think how the QB plays in the 4th quarter is actually the most important thing in a way. So many games today come down to the end so you need a guy who will step up at the end. I used to hold the “number of fourth quarter comebacks” up high as what separated the best QBs from the others - Marino and Elway back when they played were always 1 and 2 in that department. It didn’t mean they didn’t play well all game. It just meant that if they got the ball at the end in a 1 score game they pulled it out way more than their peers. For me that’s as clutchy as it gets.

I'd be interested in his first drive numbers for the season. Aside from Buffalo game I believe they'd be fire
He's scored a TD on every 1st drive with the exception of Buffalo, which they scored 3. I think that's the case, too lazy to look it up right now... :shrug:

He has always had the clutch gene.

Give him some protection and a chance at the end of games, and he's going to deliver.
images

Yeah, but if Tua was doing his job in the first 3 quarters Miami would be up by 40 points and wouldn’t have to throw for all those yards.

The real sign of a great QB is how few yards they throw in the 4th quarter, not how many yards.
Good point

The kid can play. He’s not great, but he might be. Everyone wants to declare him a failure or a success after 15 starts. He’s neither yet.

But he’s certainly the best 23-year old quarterback the Dolphins have had in 30 years.

So if Tua was last in 4th quarter passing yard would we really he you or anyone else arguing that's a good thing. Last year when Miami was winning and Tua was throwing for limited yards as the offense when in conservative mode all I heard was negative and not that Tua throwing for 190 yards in a win was a good thing. Your point may have merit, but it feels like some fans just see it from a negative angle regardless of if he's throwing for a lot or throwing for a little.

The kid can play. He’s not great, but he might be. Everyone wants to declare him a failure or a success after 15 starts. He’s neither yet.

But he’s certainly the best 23-year old quarterback the Dolphins have had in 30 years.
Hell, John Beck was 35 his rookie season.

There's some merit there, though it can be argued either way, particularly since opportunity can certainly be hindered by the other team's offense, their ToP, and game situation. Too small of a sample size to really rely on it as a solid indicator.

He's also highly ranked in the 4th quarter passer rating (5th), so not only does he have volume, he has efficiency. There again, small sample size.

Look forward to seeing how he shakes out after the season if he can manage to stay on the field throughout.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but I also wonder how much of this is due to our inability to run the ball. We *have* to throw the ball. If you look at the team and player rushing stats averaged per game its eye wateringly bad.

I am happy though he is being efficient even when the defenses know we have to throw the ball. That is a good sign.

Perhaps if the rest of the players like the OL, RB’s and WR’s were better at their jobs, it would be easier for him to have more success before the 4th Quarter.
so.... it reads like you're saying Tua comes alive in the 4th qtr. by somehow overcoming the lousy OL, RB's and WR's .... seems like those players would be a lot fresher earlier on and it would be easier to overcome their lack of talent/coaching/motivation ...

I don't believe in the coaching staff but the players have the talent compete and win IMO ... against any team. The offense needs to step up earlier than the 4th qtr. so some of that 4th qtr. magic by Tua needs to come alive in the first half... not just the first drive ... this IMO is NOT on Tua ... it is on play calling or preparation...

The fire in this team starts with the coaching staff ... our team showed a fiery attitude against the Ravens but overall, it's not there .... we don't scare anyone ... but our players can win ... and Tua is better than we've seen ... the right leadership will find this out.

Back
Top Bottom