SI's Breer reports: Falcons have had "exploratory talks" with teams about Atlanta's No. 4 pick in 2021 Draft | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

SI's Breer reports: Falcons have had "exploratory talks" with teams about Atlanta's No. 4 pick in 2021 Draft

Not at all surprising. But given that the board is now STACKED on QB's at 1 through 3, they're not going to get as much for #4. Still, only could be a few desperate teams, my buess is Carolina. The others possibilities are Denver or New England. The Patriots cannot and will not give up enough to compete if it becomes any kind of bidding contest. Carolina would be more likely to win vs. Denver if it did become a contest, because the Carolina owner is hell-bent on getting a marquee QB, and without Watson ... he's going to draft one. Thing is, at #8, he may well draft the same guy he'd draft at #4, because unless the Broncos/Patriots leapfrog him, there will be no QB's drafting 4 through 7.
Does Atlanta trade with a division rival at that early point in the draft, and let them get a QB of their choice?

I just heard - I think it was on a podcast, so I don't have a link- maybe it was the Phinside the NFL...that Miami is leaning away from guys who opted out. I think it was said that Tony Pauline reported it.(If you even want to believe it)
If that is true, -obviously, big IF- it would bump Chase from our list. I don't think anyone is taking Devonta Smith before us. I just can't see it.
And if he is a Paul Warfield- and what a good comp, I see how you came up with that- (based on physical traits) I am pouncing on him at 6 no doubt.
I love Smith- I would have to go Pitts ahead of him, but if Pitts gets taken and we select DSmith I will not cry in my milk.
Miami tends to be have the philosophy that bigger is better with NFL players. That's why I'm not as sure on Smith. They may be one of those teams that look at 170 pounds and go in another direction.

That said, Smith has been on the top of my wish list for a long time. Smith and Pitts, who both were virtually uncoverable this year.

Not at all surprising. But given that the board is now STACKED on QB's at 1 through 3, they're not going to get as much for #4. Still, only could be a few desperate teams, my buess is Carolina. The others possibilities are Denver or New England. The Patriots cannot and will not give up enough to compete if it becomes any kind of bidding contest. Carolina would be more likely to win vs. Denver if it did become a contest, because the Carolina owner is hell-bent on getting a marquee QB, and without Watson ... he's going to draft one. Thing is, at #8, he may well draft the same guy he'd draft at #4, because unless the Broncos/Patriots leapfrog him, there will be no QB's drafting 4 through 7.
Bill Bellichick seemed a little more desperate this offseason, though. Kind of like Shula, at the end, in terms of player acquisitions. Perhaps, with only a few years of coaching left (maybe), Bellichick makes the big move?

I think Denver is the most likely, though. Carolina is in the same division so Atlanta may not deal with them.

Chase seems to be more of what we have rather than what we don't have. He's more of a jump ball/physical type reciever. It doesn't mean he can't get open with quickness/speed. But that's not generally his game.

Now someone like Smith is exactly the type of player with that type of game we don't have. He's creating seperation at almost every level of the route..consistently.

Pitts arghh...seems so redundant to what we have in Gesicki... I get it! I get it! Supposedly he's a better version. Fine!
Gesicki was #26 among TE's in snaps due to his limitations. I don’t think we should be basing a top 3-6 pick on a guy who's limitations keep him off the field that much. Though that could have been a Gailey call. I'll admit that stat does make his production as a reciever a bit more impressive.

I get Pitts is not a good blocker as well, but I don't think he is Gesicki bad. And outside of that and their great athletic profiles, they aren't the same player.

Gesicki is somewhat stiff, and doesn't often look like a guy that blew away the combine on the field. Pitt's moves unusually well for such a big guy and should bring more versatility in where he can be lined up. We saw him eat up top SEC corners multiple times when used as an outside WR.

Pitts is also 20 years old and gaining strength at a pretty rapid pace. He was in the 230's as a sophomore and gained over 10 pounds that offseason. He is now 245. With his frame I can definitely see him adding more weight without sacrificing speed. He'll never be a great blocker. He puts in effort but still needs more strength. If he can reach even ~255, I don't think he is doomed to be a liability when used as an in-line blocker like Gesicki absolutely is.

I like Gesicki, but I don't think he's good enough to pass on what could be a premiere talent. We've seen what a guy like Waller can bring. He is a matchup nightmare and puts up top end receiver numbers. He is an absolutely terrible blocker, but no one cares bc of of his over the top production and the mismatches he creates. If Pitts happens not to grow as a blocker, that is somewhat similar to what I envision him bringing while being a more dangerous red zone threat.

I'm not a fan of passing on that bc we have Gesicki. He had 703 yrds and 6 TD's. That's very solid, but I don't think he's good enough to make or break this decision.

Sadly, we don't have any offensive talent good enough where I believe it should impact this current pick. We have zero pro bowl caliber stars. We are at the top of the draft and in position to draft elite talent. You either believe that guy can be elite or you don't.

Last edited:
Gesicki was #26 among TE's in snaps due to his limitations. I don’t think we should be basing a top 3-6 pick on a guy who's limitations keep him off the field that much. Though that could have been a Gailey call. I'll admit that stat does make his production as a reciever a bit more impressive.

I get Pitts is not a good blocker as well, but I don't think he is Gesicki bad. And outside of that and their great athletic profiles, they aren't the same player.

Gesicki is somewhat stiff, and doesn't often look like a guy that blew away the combine on the field. Pitt's moves unusually well for such a big guy and should bring more versatility in where he can be lined up. We saw him eat up top SEC corners multiple times when used as an outside WR.

Pitts is also 20 years old and gaining strength at a pretty rapid pace. He was in the 230's as a sophomore and gained over 10 pounds that offseason. He is now 245. With his frame I can definitely see him adding more weight without sacrificing speed. He'll never be a great blocker. He puts in effort but still needs more strength. If he can reach even ~255, I don't think he is doomed to be a liability when used as an in-line blocker like Gesicki absolutely is.

I like Gesicki, but I don't think he's good enough to pass on what could be a premiere talent. We've seen what a guy like Waller can bring. He is a matchup nightmare and puts up top end receiver numbers. He is an absolutely terrible blocker, but no one cares bc of of his over the top production and the mismatches he creates. If Pitts happens not to grow as a blocker, that is somewhat similar to what I envision him bringing while being a more dangerous red zone threat.

I'm not a fan of passing on that bc we have Gesicki. He had 703 yrds and 6 TD's. That's very solid, but I don't think he's good enough to make or break this decision.

Sadly, we don't have any offensive talent good enough where I believe it should impact this current pick. We have zero pro bowl caliber stars. We are at the top of the draft and in position to draft elite talent. You either believe that guy can be elite or you don't.

Right.....you beleive 26 teams wouldn't take Gesicki over their current TEs?

BTW, Where did Gesicki rank in yardage and TDs compared to those other 26 TEs?

I get it! You're not a Gesicki fan! I know that because you don't acknowledge his vast improvement in blocking and you certainly don't acknolwdge where he is in the league stats-wise.

Last edited:
Does Atlanta trade with a division rival at that early point in the draft, and let them get a QB of their choice?
Great point. Probably not, but it surely wouldn't stop them from trading across conferences with Denver at #9 and using Carolina's offer to drive a better bargain.

Great point. Probably not, but it surely wouldn't stop them from trading across conferences with Denver at #9 and using Carolina's offer to drive a better bargain.
Well Carolina just got Darnold.

With Darnold now in Carolina, I just can't see a match for Atlanta to trade down from #4. Unless a team like New England or Chicago make huge offers, Denver might be able to stay at #9 and get their QB?

With Darnold now in Carolina, I just can't see a match for Atlanta to trade down from #4. Unless a team like New England or Chicago make huge offers, Denver might be able to stay at #9 and get their QB?
They may but does Denver risk someone jumping them if they really need a QB?

Didn't know that, thanks!

Curious how this impacts the Falcons as the value of #4 just went down.
Panthers could still be interested in getting a QB though chances of that are slimmer now. Draft and sit them behind Darnold.

Back
Top Bottom