Slim Reaper comes in at 6’ and 166 pounds. | Page 28 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slim Reaper comes in at 6’ and 166 pounds.

Do you have any second thoughts/reservations about drafting 'The Slim Reaper' when he's 166lbs?

• Total voters
He plays physical a wayyyy stronger on tape then his measurements!

He also looks quick and extremely smooth on the football field....

I'll take over Chase any day!!

I would still draft him at 6 if Pitts and Chase are gone. Ive gone back and forth if I would rather have Waddle though.

Yeah ... and whether he has some bad influences in his ear telling him not to change a thing.

If I had clear data showing that 98% of all collegiate success stories at my weight failed in the NFL, and only 25% of those type guys failed when adding 10 lbs. of muscle ... it would be a no-brainer. Can't see how he doesn't know this.

I'll admit that it is concerning. The kid went to Alabama for crying out loud. Their program revivals some NFL programs and they have some of the best professionals in the sport. Which means there's no way they didn't address and worked with Smith on gaining some bulk. Some of the reason why i can think of that they may not have:

1) They don't think it's a problem.
2) He or his rep refused the help
3) He and Alabama didn't realize he's thin
4) They and he have tried practically everything and it just doesn't take.

Depends really. No at 6, yes at 18. The. End.

You can debate this topic ten ways til sideways. Until the kid plays there is no knowing if he's going platinum or if he's a one hit wonder.

Jerry Rice wasn't overly large at 6'2" 200lbs (I question this weight, I'm guessing Jerry was closer to 190). Steve Smith did just fine at 5'9" 185lbs. Largent was one of the best little receivers in the league 5'11" 187lbs in a time when WR took a beating over the middle.
Each one of your examples is 20 pounds +/- heavier than Smith though.

You're absolutely right about not knowing until he plays though, there are three scenarios.
1) We're cheering him on, grateful we drafted him
2) We're cursing the front office for drafting him
3) We're wishing the front office drafted him because he's tearing it up for another team

Each one of your examples is 20 pounds +/- heavier than Smith though.

You're absolutely right about not knowing until he plays though, there are three scenarios.
1) We're cheering him on, grateful we drafted him
2) We're cursing the front office for drafting him
3) We're wishing the front office drafted him because he's tearing it up for another team
My examples are also height to weight based so OK not that he's the bar of success in the NFL our own Ted Ginn Jr has curved out a decent career in the NFL at 5'11" 167. DeSean Jackson is another that comes to mind at 5'10' 175lbs. Hell even Mark Clayton was only 5'9" 177lbs.

Really doesn’t scare me off at all. If anything, it might even make me higher on him. Weight isn’t height—it’s not permanent.

If he dominated the college football playoffs at 166, what’s he going to look like at 180 after a few years of an NFL nutrition program and natural growth?

In terms of player development, packing an additional 10-15 pounds of muscle on a 6’0, 166 pound 22 year old might be the easiest possible development I’ve ever heard of.

My examples are also height to weight based so OK not that he's the bar of success in the NFL our own Ted Ginn Jr has curved out a decent career in the NFL at 5'11" 167. DeSean Jackson is another that comes to mind at 5'10' 175lbs. Hell even Mark Clayton was only 5'9" 177lbs.
That example highlighted is why you don't draft Smith high---always hurt----can't hold up!

Back
Top Bottom