Slim Reaper comes in at 6’ and 166 pounds. | Page 29 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slim Reaper comes in at 6’ and 166 pounds.

Do you have any second thoughts/reservations about drafting 'The Slim Reaper' when he's 166lbs?

• Total voters
Nope. Behind Pitts, he's my guy. However, if we did take Chase or Waddle at #6, I would be okay with it. Until proven otherwise, I am going to trust Grier and Flores on this one.

Really doesn’t scare me off at all. If anything, it might even make me higher on him. Weight isn’t height—it’s not permanent.

If he dominated the college football playoffs at 166, what’s he going to look like at 180 after a few years of an NFL nutrition program and natural growth?

In terms of player development, packing an additional 10-15 pounds of muscle on a 6’0, 166 pound 22 year old might be the easiest possible development I’ve ever heard of.
Haha..if anything players play smaller..not bigger..if he can't add weight in college I doubt he's gone pack on 10-15 in the pros.

Other than kickers, WR is probably the position that takes the least contact on the field, especially since you can protect a WR by not sending him on those tough routes over the middle. It's telling that when folks try to give examples of the risks of small WRs in the NFL all they can come up with is Pat White, who wasn't even a WR, while there are many examples of big WRs who are injury prone.

At first the weight thing gave me pause, but once I realized there was zero evidence of weight being an issue for WRs, I was able to move past it.

Haha..if anything players play smaller..not bigger..if he can't add weight in college I doubt he's gone pack on 10-15 in the pros.
“Can’t” is not an accurate description. Again, he was the leading receiver on a team with three other first round WRs in 2019, then the Heisman in 2020. He had no reason to add weight. This narrative of him trying and failing to get bigger isn’t based on anything. The guy was the best receiver in football—he didn’t have any reason to try to bulk up.

That example highlighted is why you don't draft Smith high---always hurt----can't hold up!
Over 11 seasons Ginn missed 10 games. Over 6 season Parker has missed 13. Like I said regardless of your feeling on Smith there are examples to prove or disprove any size debate. Personally I'm all in on Pitts anyway but I also see the upside in Smith and Chase, all playmakers on paper.

My examples are also height to weight based so OK not that he's the bar of success in the NFL our own Ted Ginn Jr has curved out a decent career in the NFL at 5'11" 167. DeSean Jackson is another that comes to mind at 5'10' 175lbs. Hell even Mark Clayton was only 5'9" 177lbs.
Its pretty hard to draw comparisons,

• Ginn missed at least 1 game due to injury in 7 out of 14 seasons
  • Jackson missed at least one game (and generally more than one) in 11 out of 13 seasons due to injury
  • Clayton missed at least 1 game due to injury in 7 out of 11 seasons

What's impossible to tell is if their weight had anything to do with the amount of games they couldn't play.

As someone whose vitals are 6'2" 168 lbs, those of you who are pouting like an 11 yo girl about DS' stature are incredibly amusing
Hah!

There is a really good reason why the lighter weight classes in the UFC are only 10 pounds apart. A lightweight would destroy a bantamweight. Most fighters weigh in at the top of the class they fight in, why? Heavier is better for an athlete engaged in direct physical contact.

Over 11 seasons Ginn missed 10 games. Over 6 season Parker has missed 13. Like I said regardless of your feeling on Smith there are examples to prove or disprove any size debate. Personally I'm all in on Pitts anyway but I also see the upside in Smith and Chase, all playmakers on paper.
I prefer Pitts..but Chase>Waddle>Smith.

But if it's Smith, I'll still root like hell for him!

• Jackson missed at least one game (and generally more than one) in 11 out of 13 seasons due to injury

What's impossible to tell is if their weight had anything to do with the amount of games they couldn't play.
It is. Even look at guys like Sproles, Rice and Meggett who played a brutal position at a very small size for that position and they all were relatively durable until later in their careers. Size plays a role but it isn't the only factor, playing style, anatomy and plain luck come into play as well.

I’m going to get me some beer and watch the crying on here. When Pitts is there at 6 and if they take Smith. Talk about watching the meltdown from the gator boys will be pure comedy.

This isn’t a serious statistic. Very few NFL players play all 16 games on an annual basis. That has nothing to do with size.

Devante Parker is prototype size and has played all 16 games in 1 out of 6 seasons. Preston Williams is prototype size and is 0/2 so far. Julio Jones, huge receiver. He’s played all 16 games 4 times in 10 seasons. Mike Evans, huge receiver, has played all 16 games 3 times in 7 seasons. Keenan Allen, prototype size, has played all 16 games 3 times in 8 seasons.

Etc., etc., I could do this with 90% of the receivers in the league. Size has no correlation with durability at the WR position, and I’d love to see any actual, objective statistic showing otherwise.

If people are worried about his weight, I’d have to seriously question whether they watched Smith’s game footage. And of course they will say “I watched every snap of Smith”, but I’ll call BS on that too. No reasonable person could have watched him play at Alabama and thought his weight is a problem.

Back
Top Bottom