Slim Reaper comes in at 6’ and 166 pounds. | Page 31 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slim Reaper comes in at 6’ and 166 pounds.

Do you have any second thoughts/reservations about drafting 'The Slim Reaper' when he's 166lbs?

• Total voters
Blah blah blah...what’s he going to say? He’s hoping somebody drafts him before 18.

I’m ok with taking him at 18....not 6.
Haven't heard him gloat about Chase like he has Smith.

I just wonder why with the great Institution that is Alabama Crimson Tide Football..why is he still only 166lbs? Weird. Bad strength and conditioning program, maybe? Did the kid ever lift a weight or eat a PB&J sandwich?
He lifted a Heisman trophy after destroying the SEC and National Championship games. His weight wasn’t any issue in 4 college seasons.

I'm not sure the "injury" angle is the primary concern with a player who's body mass (muscular structure) is notably less than typical. In a physical game like football, even for a receiver, mass + speed = power. With that in mind, the question is can a notably "underpowered" player succeed in the NFL against competition that has superior power.

Again, since the position being debated is "receiver," and that position is more about speed, quicks, acceleration etc., the power question is not as critical as say LB, or certainly OG. But it's still a factor --- and I'd like to think everyone could agree if Smith was 205 and the SAME player in terms of speed, quicks and acceleration he'd be a notably more "powerful" player. So in all honestly, I think it's ill-advised to just ignore the power factor and just assume in this particular example -- it doesn't matter.

Personally I can see Smith getting knocked around fairly easily by the better (bigger) NFL CBs. And of course him navigating through the middle with big and fast LBs and safeties is a legit question in terms of the kid just being too significantly overpowered.

I get the fact his supports are counting on him avoiding contact via his skill set -- but I just don't believe you can base a CAREER in the NFL on avoiding contact. And when the physicality of the game comes into play -- Smith is going to be at a significant disadvantage IMO.

Last -- the question I'm presenting doesn't mean the kid can't succeed in the NFL. My only point is, when your isolate your analysis of the kid on purely physical terms, I don't see an ideal R1 "package." And as productive as he was on a loaded 'bama team, none of "that" is going to translate to the Pros. It's a different game for all intensive purposes.

My opinion. Of course.

BNF

Where’d I say that? I’m just not such a fan boy of one player that I laughably try to discredit a players on-field ability by asking if they ever ate a sandwich.

Extra 10 lbs or not, the kid can play.

Actually, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are used by many to gain weight...I just can't see why a 6' man can't gain weight..so I question if he ever tried..

Not fair? Fine.

That's your opinion.

So a few things from me on this....

one it is funny how number affect people’s opinions so strongly. I mean half this board wouldn’t have taken Jerry Rice in the first 3 rounds because he ran what a 4.7/8 40 lol. But he was always open in college and the pros.

And about Smith who gives a s*%# about his weight when is has nothing to do with his style or how he wins. He is a precision route runner with lighting quick short area quickness and a wonderful sense of body control and leverage. He wins with his IQ and precision, not brute strength. He won’t win jump balls but he won’t need to, how many jump balls did Marvin Harrison win? Or Does Adam Theilen win? Guys win with different skills and Smiths skills are off the charts.

Unpopular opinion given “size issues” for style of play I have more reservation with Chase. He plays with brute strength and wins a ton of jump balls and breaks tackles over the middle (against college DBs). That style at 5-11/6’ 200 is for more concerning that Smith at 170ish. Go in banging against big DBs and linebackers will get you hurt quick. And while he is fast (good in shorts) he rarely wins that way, I would be concerned he wouldn’t last trying to just be some beast mode guy when he isn’t built to be a banger and the next level.

So a few things from me on this....

one it is funny how number affect people’s opinions so strongly. I mean half this board wouldn’t have taken Jerry Rice in the first 3 rounds because he ran what a 4.7/8 40 lol. But he was always open in college and the pros.

And about Smith who gives a s*%# about his weight when is has nothing to do with his style or how he wins. He is a precision route runner with lighting quick short area quickness and a wonderful sense of body control and leverage. He wins with his IQ and precision, not brute strength. He won’t win jump balls but he won’t need to, how many jump balls did Marvin Harrison win? Or Does Adam Theilen win? Guys win with different skills and Smiths skills are off the charts.

Unpopular opinion given “size issues” for style of play I have more reservation with Chase. He plays with brute strength and wins a ton of jump balls and breaks tackles over the middle (against college DBs). That style at 5-11/6’ 200 is for more concerning that Smith at 170ish. Go in banging against big DBs and linebackers will get you hurt quick. And while he is fast (good in shorts) he rarely wins that way, I would be concerned he wouldn’t last trying to just be some beast mode guy when he isn’t built to be a banger and the next level.

So 166lbs isn't a concern but 201lbs is? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just wonder why with the great Institution that is Alabama Crimson Tide Football..why is he still only 166lbs? Weird. Bad strength and conditioning program, maybe? Did the kid ever lift a weight or eat a PB&J sandwich?
If the strength and conditioning program is bad at Alabama, what does that say about the strength and conditioning at the other SEC schools. Because except for the LSU title in 2019, those weak Alabama players have totally dominated the SEC since Saban became their head coach.

I doubt if it is just the coaching which has made Alabama the class of the SEC,

If people are worried about his weight, I’d have to seriously question whether they watched Smith’s game footage. And of course they will say “I watched every snap of Smith”, but I’ll call BS on that too. No reasonable person could have watched him play at Alabama and thought his weight is a problem.

Agree.

Triple A is to MLB as the SEC is to the NFL

If the strength and conditioning program is bad at Alabama, what does that say about the strength and conditioning at the other SEC schools. Because except for the LSU title in 2019, those weak Alabama players have totally dominated the SEC since Saban became their head coach.

I doubt if it is just the coaching which has made Alabama the class of the SEC,
Makes you wonder why he is still 166lbs at 6', then! It was rather a joke about the S&C program being bad, honestly!

So 166lbs isn't a concern but 201lbs is? :lol: :lol: :lol:

No it isn’t and if you learned how to read at UF (UGA kid here always gonna crack in UF) maybe you would have actually read and understood why I made the statement.

Smith doesn’t win with size, soooo why does he suddenly need it? And yea 201 at 5-11 concerns me when you play style is more like TO or CJ. He isn’t built to be a banger. IMO of course

Last edited:
Where’d I say that? I’m just not such a fan boy of one player that I laughably try to discredit a players on-field ability by asking if they ever ate a sandwich.

Extra 10 lbs or not, the kid can play.
College is not pro football...in fact Players at Alabama are even further removed as their team physically outmatches their opponents nearly every week.

Smith will play in the NFL...he may even be very good, but he is not top 6 in this draft.

And frankly, it’s laughable when defenders of this 166 pound player act like Kyle Pitts is not universally now acknowledged as superior!

Back
Top Bottom