Slim Reaper comes in at 6’ and 166 pounds. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slim Reaper comes in at 6’ and 166 pounds.

Do you have any second thoughts/reservations about drafting 'The Slim Reaper' when he's 166lbs?

• Total voters
I want to know how many have an issue with his weight only because he went to Alabama?
I suspect a lot. I don’t even like Alabama. Notre Dame all the way. just appreciate the talent where it is.

Ive said it for weeks/months at this point, I’ll be happy with any of the “top 4” pass catchers. You can make a case and argue against any of them which is what makes it so difficult.

sure smiths weight is a concern, but a very minor one to me

Who put this story out there, Grier? We'd love for Smith to drop so we can get him at 18. We get Pitts, Sewell, Chase or Waddle at 6 then swoop in on Smith with a trade up. Teams would fear us!!!

It’s long term durability that is the concern. Guys at his size historically have trouble staying healthy over the course of their career

he’s as talented as they come that shouldn’t be taken away from him. But 166 lbs (his bulked up weight) means there’s an uphill battle there to stay healthy over the course of a career
I would think the opposite, you know the bigger you are the harder you fall? I mean after all force = mass * acceleration right?
We get tons of injuries in the NFL every season with lots of players who are considered big.
It seems some people are looking at this like these guys are getting into a boxing ring.

Besides this Smith has shown his technique of beating defenders at the line and he really doesn't need to muscle people around.
He simply creates a separation early on with his agility to gain advantage and make catches and plays.

If he was a receiver that relied on catches that he had to fight for, I'll admit I'd be worried but that's not his game.
Jamar Chase is more of that type receiver.

...this place is weird. Folks become so ridiculously obsessed with certain players they completely ignore every *flag* and fact that indicates said player is a risk. In this situation, to completely ignore weight as if it's irrelevant in the NFL is laughable.

Couple that with the fact the same player refused to be tested and evaluated in normal protocol --- obviously indicating the kid is deliberately hiding and/or refusing information. You don't think that's a "character" flag?

He's not going to be running around loose and physically unchallenged like college. And there's NO WAY you can bank on the fact the kid can add 15-20lbs and still be effective. Open your freakin' eyes -- the kid is a bone rack!
It seems to me that people become obsessed with simplistic numbers that have little meaning. They should be obsessed with a WR's ability to separate and catch the ball. Reality is that time after time that's proven to be what translates to NFL success. People complain about the poor success rate drafting WRs high and that happens b/c people focus on size/speed instead of separation ability and hands. So along comes a guy who is literally one of the best that has ever been in those categories and people want to focus on the things that so often failed in the past. IMO that's ignorance of the highest degree.

Does that really matter? He had absolutely no trouble at the college level going up in practice against the likes of Patrick Surtain Jr. Is there a more physical corner in college football? I don't anticipate jams will be an issue.

Smith does everything. He gets open, he goes up and wins 50/50, plays bigger than his size, can play in the slot, can get deep. Is there a weakness in his game?

He can obviously play but talking degrees of separation, I don't know how a GM would even consider him over Pitts and then I bet GM's are pretty evenly split between Waddle's Tyreek like speed, Chase's size and production and yes Smith and his smooth game. If I had to guess Chase is 1 and Waddle/Smith a tie in club's minds, depending on what type of WR they need more.

Other thing to consider with Smith is that it is not just him against a corner, at Bama he had the best OL, QB has tons of time to make plays down the field. Bama has the best RB, a bruiser, defenses were just flat outmatched by this offense and had to cover way to many variables with limited personnel. Consider we are looking at Mac Jones, Smith, Waddle, Najee, the center, the tackle, all these guys from this team are top picks. Things will tighten up a great deal at the next level. Doesn't mean Smith won't be good but we're trying to avoid red flags with a top 10 pick, not run smack into one.

It seems to me that people become obsessed with simplistic numbers that have little meaning. They should be obsessed with a WR's ability to separate and catch the ball. Reality is that time after time that's proven to be what translates to NFL success. People complain about the poor success rate drafting WRs high and that happens b/c people focus on size/speed instead of separation ability and hands. So along comes a guy who is literally one of the best that has ever been in those categories and people want to focus on the things that so often failed in the past. IMO that's ignorance of the highest degree.
Way overrated. Way underweight.

I want to know how many have an issue with his weight only because he went to Alabama?
I don’t like Alabama because I still can’t forgive Saban for lying about taking the job at Alabama. Yet Alabama has great players, including Smith, Waddle, Harris and others and I have absolutely no problem with the Dolphins drafting any player from Alabama.

In fact it would be great if they drafted Waddle at 6, moved up to draft Smith and then Harris is still on the board when they draft in the second round. Getting all three of these Alabama players would be a perfect draft, IMO.

So Bo Jackson should have never have been drafted with that logic.
Its clear you missed the point. Bo was a superior physical specimen and his career was cut short. The odds are stacked against Smith when a majority of the defense outweighs him by 100lbs+.

When/IF you ever played ball, you would understand the significance...

With a proper nutritionist and working out he can easily add weight. Additionally, he played against some of the best corners why wasn't his weight an issue against them back in college?
If the job of a receiver was to stand on a scale during a game, then we can be worried.

Here he is against Jaycee Horn who is expected to go in the 1st round.

This idea that he didn't have a proper nutritionist and strength program at Alabama is a outright joke. A lot of top college programs strength and nutrition programs would **** on NFL programs. Most NFL players have their own guys outside of the club.

Back
Top Bottom